Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Level Event - Monster Invasion  (Read 3074 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
New Level Event - Monster Invasion
« on: April 09, 2011, 19:31 »

This happens quite a bit in the real Doom and I think it would work well in DoomRL as one of the new level events.

Sometime during the level, monsters will start teleporting in. It should probably be all of one type of monster.

Most of the time in Doom, it would be all of one type of monster, typically imps or captains, that would start teleporting in from nowhere. (In actuality they are kept in some inaccessable room off the edge of the map and the players movements triggers the open teleporter and they 'wander' in to it to give the appearance of an invasion). Hopefully in DoomRL we can avoid the amusing telefrag

Level entry notice: "The hair on your neck stands on end"
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: New Level Event - Monster Invasion
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07 »

I support this!

Although I also support telefragging. Perhaps a blue period, similar to the intuition 2 mark, could show where a monster will teleport in a few seconds before it happens. This would let someone make strategic decisions about whether to run, gun, or camp that spot for a telefrag... sound fun?

Maybe only a few slightly-more-powerful-than-normal monsters should spawn on the map. When they're mostly dead the weaker swarm spawns in a few quick waves, with a limited number of enemies. That'd let people still claim a 100% kill ratio if they dared.

I get the creeps just imagining a Lost Soul block party.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:11 »

The only way we could know ahead of time where a monster will 'port to is if it's predetermined. Maybe Teleporter Landing Spots could be made blue periods?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:29 »

Somehow I fail to see any serious difference between this and enemy spawning lever besides the fact that this is unavoidable. But most of the time more enemies are a benefit, not a penalty.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:48 »

Lack of control isn't enough?

I'd imagine it to be something like a miniature City of Skulls exploding across your level...

Even worse if the enemies count as summoned and are worth no xp...

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 20:39 »

Lack of control isn't enough?

I'd imagine it to be something like a miniature City of Skulls exploding across your level...

Even worse if the enemies count as summoned and are worth no xp...

Don't forget monsters that leave ammo...
Over and Out!

GrimmC

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 22:03 »

I had a similar idea in mind with implementing triggers. Clearing out a level and getting the "all clear" message when 1/3 of the map is still unexplored is very un-Doomlike--totally kills the suspense. It can become mundane. This was more of a problem in 0.9.9.2 when there was less level variety, but it still could improve DoomRL imo.

But I'll wait to see where the teleporters discussion goes before I bring it up.
Pages: [1]