Chaosforge Forum

• May 16, 2024, 00:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Small feature request [Resizable window on DOOMRL]  (Read 2825 times)

Red_Soul

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've been a lurker here at chaosforge for a long time.
First I want to say thanks to everyone involved in the making of DoomRL, its pretty much my favorite roguelike of all (along with Desktop Dungeons) and I dare say its a lot more fun than even Doom itself!.

Anyway, I'd like to make a little request, if possible. You see when running DoomRL, it opens the dos terminal window and that has horrible placing and sizing, making playing the game rather troublesome (even with my glasses on) so it would be nice if a windowing feature like the one present in AliensRL could be implemented, with window sizing via .ini

I know there's full screen but I'd rather not lose my desktop environment to play DoomRL if possible.

Thanks for taking your time to considering my request.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Small feature request [Resizable window on DOOMRL]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 16:54 »

AliensRL uses a pseudo-console.  DoomRL2 will also use the pseudo-console, but that feature is not planned for DoomRL1.

You can adjust the console font though.  Right-click->Properties Fonts.  I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but as a stopgap it should do.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 18:48 »

An alternative might be to use an ASCII-to-ASCII-tile program like cons2tcod or NotEye which might give more configurability on the existing system.

(Note: I've not personally tested these two listed programs before, but I have heard through the grapevine that they are decent.)
I computed, therefore I was.

Red_Soul

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 21:07 »

I appreciate the responses guys, I'll test the methods suggested and report back.

Edit: NotEye worked great, its easy enough to use if you just unpack the zip contents on DoomRL's directory and  type in the executable name. It runs great on the window it renders then, except for the floor transitions that are a little slower than normal, but nothing too bad.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 00:48 by Red_Soul »

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 14:32 »

If you want to try something fun with NotEye type in doomrl as your config prompt.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]