Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 19:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ammochain  (Read 9426 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: Ammochain
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 00:29 »

Balance reasons. MAc is Tactical Defence build, it should not allow Passive elements, or it would get even more grossly OP that it is right now.

I can't imagine a run where I'd want both MAc and TaN... if you get TaN first you're delaying MAc and it's really not worth it. If you get MAc first then you're getting TaN at level 8, but ironman is 3 times more useful at that point.

If you want a master trait to be incompatible with passive defence, make it block ironman. Almost every build I do is either no master trait or "build up to master trait then immediately get ironman 5"
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:34 »

After my first 9.9.3 game - the ammochain seems just right now.
After getting it did not use reloader even once, so it was a bit of a trade-off - invest in a "never userd again" trait, with a clear view of something sweet in the end.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 17:06 »

I can't imagine a run where I'd want both MAc and TaN...

Badass?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Ablogqwer

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 15:48 »

Hyperblaster with ammochain. You can actually carve holes in the walls with it. So no, rocket launchers aren't that useful.

On the other hand: Reloader means you will never pick up a chaingun. They suck compared to a combat shotgun, and you'll never spend the technical mod to make a decent assault rifle because technical mods are rare(r) and saving it for the hyperblaster is a better use of time.

Also carrying enough ammo for your hungry hungry gatling guns before you actually GET ammochain is a chore, especially if you want to carry health packs and the like.

So the problem in my opinion is not with the master trait itself... but more with the fact that shotguns are a better choice despite picking up SoB and a level in triggerhappy.

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 20:30 »

and you'll never spend the technical mod to make a decent assault rifle because technical mods are rare(r) and saving it for the hyperblaster is a better use of time.
Maybe, but the Assault Rifle uses only Agility mods. Since the Hyperblaster only uses a single one, I would say that it's worth popping one into the Chaingun as a temporary solution.

However, this is probably my beta attitude left over since for a couple betas it was nearly impossible to find a Plasma Rifle.

That said, I've always found the High Power Plasma Rifle more useful for Ammochain. You've obviously got the ammo for it, you never need to reload, and this means you don't need to spend the next three levels going for Whizkid. A bit of an accuracy issue, but generally the number of quite powerful projectiles compensates well enough.

That said, I don't have an issue with it. Ammochain's requirements do render chainguns largely pointless, but they're still probably pretty good if you're going for Cateye, and they can be useful in a generalist game since 10mm ammo is so common for the first half.

I say "probably" because I've never done a Cateye run.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 20:33 by Thexare »
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]
Pages: 1 [2]  All