Chaosforge Forum

• June 16, 2024, 01:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Teleporters...yawn  (Read 4273 times)

GrimmC

Teleporters...yawn
« on: May 03, 2011, 23:02 »

I don't know if this is the sort of forum where noobies get flamed for accidentally rehashing old discussion...but here goes nothin.' ;-)

Firstly I think DoomRL is genius and shockingly true to Doom. I haven't been this addicted to a computer game since I played Doom the first time around. My kudos to all involved. But there are some elements of level design which are a lot different from the original. One of those is teleporters.

As of right now I don't see much point for teleporters in DoomRL. In Doom they usually took you to some new, exotic place you couldn't get to otherwise, perhaps with goodies. In DoomRL they take you to some place you can already go to where you'll possibly be mobbed by monsters and instantly killed.

I don't know too much about how the engine works at this point, or the history of teleporters in DoomRL, but would it be possible to have the teleporter take you to a separate, subarea of the level? (i.e. basically a smaller mini-map.) If not, how about an area that's walled off?

Sure, there's still the possibility of being mobbed, but if some sort of goody is guaranteed, it might be worth the risk. (a soulsphere, a bunch of ammo, an exotic if you're really lucky....whatever)

If nothing else, teleporters should at least go to another teleporter to act as a shortcut through the level.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Teleporters...yawn
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 23:38 »

I tend to agree that teleporters aren't all that interesting as things stand.  A lot of things that sound cool would be hard to implement.

I don't know too much about how the engine works at this point, or the history of teleporters in DoomRL, but would it be possible to have the teleporter take you to a separate, subarea of the level? (i.e. basically a smaller mini-map.) If not, how about an area that's walled off?

Sure, there's still the possibility of being mobbed, but if some sort of goody is guaranteed, it might be worth the risk. (a soulsphere, a bunch of ammo, an exotic if you're really lucky....whatever)

But! This strikes me as a good idea and probably doable! It should possible to implement a vault (or vault analog) that can only be entered/exited by teleporter.  (Some consideration would have to be made to make sure the target square would stay open.)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:07 »

Having teleports go to a sub-level is more likely a feature of DoomRL 2. It's beyond the scope of DoomRL.

I think there's something behind having a chance for a teleporter having a return teleport - but not always. Randomness will always be a factor in DoomRL. :)
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

GrimmC

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 13:40 »

Of course--even in Doom sometimes some lame teleporter would just drop you off on a one-way trip to someplace you'd already been. :)

I figure 1/3 chance to some kind of vault, 1/3 to another teleporter, and 1/3 one-way is a good incentive.

I've already seen in one level a room full of cacodemons that could only be opened by a lever...so i feel like some sort of teleporter room connection should also be possible.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 21:46 »

I definitely agree that teleporters seem pretty useless. The only thing they can be good for is knocking an enemy into them and hope they teleport far enough away to let you breath for a sec.

Firstly I think DoomRL ...... and shockingly true to Doom.

I actually think doomrl has grown quite far away from the source material. The monsters and initial weapons are the same, but the rest of the game is so far off from the original. Things like Cleric Baretta, Dragon Slayer, nukes, traits, getting tired from running, actual enemy AI, challenge modes, and assemblies makes it extremely different from Doom in my opinion. Not for for the worse or better. Just different.

I still think Doomrl is an absolutely fantastic game, but ultimately almost nothing like Doom.

p.s. I would definitely like to see a Doomrl mod for the original Doom though to add things like traits and tactics from doomrl into the original Doom.
-Legend

GrimmC

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 21:57 »

I still think Doomrl is an absolutely fantastic game, but ultimately almost nothing like Doom.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that. Obviously the action is totally different. Doom being almost completely in the player's skill in the area of reflex & accuracy, whereas DoomRL contains no reflexes & requires skill in a totally different way. Both have the importance of tactics & raw strength in common...but DoomRL give you a lot more ways to exercise that strength. (And yet still in common with Doom. What is AoB but a tyson run, basically? Or AoMr but a pistol run?)

Ultimately, you still run around using shotguns, chainguns, and rocket launchers to blast demons as you try to make it out of the moonbase alive, and that's what I love about it.

A DoomRL Doom mod (ha) is far beyond my capabilities...but it might be fun to import some of the weapons. Weapon sprites will always be a problem though.

Seems like most people agree the teleporters could use a revamp!

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:26 »

I think this is about as close as we are going to get to a doomrl mod for doom...

Before you ask yes I do play using noteye, just not normally with the doomrl option set
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:27 by Deathwind »
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 18:59 »

Lol. More like a 1'st person doom mod for doomrl.

I've used noteye as well. A nice utility for roguelikes. Wish Z would continue work on it. 

THe korax mod for hexen adds things like experience and new abilities based on experience. I think it would be possible to do something similar to doom. Possibly use scoredoom and/or korax mod as a base. Just like a new wway to play through the old levels and wads while scoring points, permadeath, gaining experience, levels, and traits. Maybe even fit tactics into it. If the player runs for a certain amount of time, he/she become tired and moves slower. Then they need to find a health pack or globe to be able to move at normal speed and run again. The hexen/heretic code could even be used so the player could have an inventory. A couple hexen items already work kinda like doomrl items like the chaos whatchamacallit doohicki works the same as the phase device for example. 

On Topic: I wonder how teleporters could be made more interesting? Maybe if there were always two teleporters that spawn at the same time so the layer could move back and forth between them. Then they could be used as a shortcut or even telefragging monsters.
-Legend
Pages: [1]