Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 05:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.3] Rocket launcher alt-fire targeting bugs (rocket jumping).  (Read 2332 times)

bucels

• Private
    • View Profile

Info

DoomRL version: 0.9.9.3, win
Platform: Windows XP
Game type: standard
Difficulty: ITYTD
Level: 15 (Hellgate)
Doomguy level: 6
Traits: SoBx2, THx1, EEx2, Intx1

Notes

I've read Known Bugs - read before you post! [0.9.9.2] and I've searched the bug subforum for rocket jumping and targeting bugs.
I've not found anything relevant, so I'm sorry if this was reported before.

Make sure you start a new game (or restore from a save) before trying to reproduce each bug, since some of them have lasting effects (e.g. targeting is broken after cancelled rocket jump).

Also, make sure you follow the steps to the letter, because even the simplest actions (e.g. moving one tile or switching to the inventory screen) can change things.

I've read my post and reproduced each bug twice, so I'm fairly confident my istructions are bug free (yeah, right).

In the attached save file you are on level 15 with a missile launcher and a shockwave pack to quickly kill the welcoming committee.
The bugs are easiest to reproduce with the help of the Bruiser Brothers, but it can be done with any monster (make sure you equip the regular rocket launcher).

Bug 1

Steps to reproduce:
  • Equip a loaded rocket launcher.
  • Make sure there are no monsters in your field of view.
  • Perform a rocket jump - make sure that the tile you target remains in your field of view after the jump is completed.
  • Reload.
  • Stand still (important) until a monster comes into your field of view.
  • Press alt-fire (but do not fire).
What happens:
The cursor is locked to the previously targeted tile - you can't move it, you can only fire a rocket or press escape. Also, the color of the targeting line is off - it starts green and then turns yellow.

What should happen:
The cursor should move freely within 1-tile radius around the player and the targeting line should be green.

Notes:
If you fire after the last step, you will perform a rocket jump.

Bug 2

Steps to reproduce:
  • Move at least one tile (important).
  • Get some monsters into your field of view (you don't have to stand still).
  • Press alt-fire (but do not fire).
What happens:
The same thing as in Bug 1, but the cursor is locked to one of the monsters.

What should happen:
The cursor should move freely within 1-tile radius around the player.

Bug 3

Steps to reproduce:
  • Make sure there are no monsters in your field of view.
  • Press alt-fire.
  • Press esc (cancel rocket jump).
  • Press fire (but do not fire).
What happens:
You can't move the cursor more than 1 tile away from you (the game seems to think you still want to perform a rocket jump).

What should happen:
The cursor should move freely.

GrimmC

I too have experienced Bug 3. It's quite a bummer. :(

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile

I was also going to report this yesterday before I noticed the thread. In my case, (type 4?) I had a hyperblaster, which I shot at an empty space, then I switched to my tactical rocket launcher from my prepared slot and pressed alt-fire, at which point the targeter was fixed at my previous point, several spaces beyond the rocket jump range.

Looks like this:

... and there I was, thinking you could take a screenshot mid-fire. x.x

GrimmC

I was also thinking the same, thought on an unrelated note--yesteday, shooting through two Hell Knights on a row below me, the chaingun LoF literally dodged around the first Knight for one space and came back to hit the one behind him. Pretty weird.

Turns out Bug 3 will be reset by firing the launcher...not sure what sort of damage happens because I was invul.
Pages: [1]