Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 03:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Re: The Wall  (Read 5735 times)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:51 »

When The Wall is cleared by any means, it'd be cool if the hellish forces keeping it standing dissipate, thus making it crumble.

As a side effect, this would make Brick Silver slightly less reliant on luck and thus less annoying.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:42 »

When *I'm* done with the Wall, it's always ashes!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

s0ulman

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40 »

Sadly, MaiZure spawning device is yet to be implemented in the game (though it promises to be totally overpowered).

As for the idea, I think Ander is right. Even the central Vault has an alternative route of escape!
Also, it is a nice possibility to throw in some more Pink Floyd quotes.) Like: "You hear a choir of angry voices: "Tear down the wall! Tear down the wall!""
[24/21/11/2/0]
Arch-Vile Major

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 20:09 »

With phase devices it would make a few of those badges a bit of a gimme. There's still a good chance that you'd get toasted a turn or two after phasing across, but the guaranteed exit would make it pretty simple. No more "must-suicide" after all your phases keep you on the wrong side of the wall. All brick badges would probably only take a few attempts each (if you were a better player than me at least). Although one good phase device and one homing phase does the job anyway.

But it would make it a bit better than the current "Pray to Armok for a Plasma Shotgun/Anti-Freak Jackal before the Wall" for a certain shot at it. My phase devices seem wonky most times. Thank god for the Staff in the Vaults.

note: I could be wrong. Phase devices can take you over the wall in normal games, do they still do it in AoMr, AoS?

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 00:00 »

I'm not sure which side you're trying to argue, Sambojin.

Making Brick Silver a 'gimme' via this method wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, since the alternative is phasing across, killing everything, then getting stuck, so you've technically fulfilled the badge's requirements but fate has rolled a dice and decided that no, you don't get credit for it, you should QY and do it again.

Barring a few specific scenarios where the moons align, clearing The Wall on either of the relevant angels is not exactly a walk in the park. I'd say that on its own is around Silver level.

Edit: Yes, phases can carry you past The Wall on AoMr and AoB; a situation like the one in this post is what prompted me to think of how to make the badge less of a hassle.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:16 by Ander Hammer »
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:03 »

If you attempt Brick Silver on AoB, you should have a HPD from HA completion anyway, so the escape problem is not exactly existent. Just saying.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 15:28 »

If you attempt Brick Silver on AoB, you should have a HPD from HA completion anyway, so the escape problem is not exactly existent. Just saying.

But what if the wall spawns at level 7 :/? i've seen cases where i found wall at level 7
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 16:01 »

But what if the wall spawns at level 7 :/? i've seen cases where i found wall at level 7

HA = Hell's Arena
HAr = Hell's Armory

But, since this got bumped, I'm in favor of The Wall exploding after everything dies (kinda like UC but just the 8x20 block in the middle). Brick Silver has enough problems in achieving already.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:31 »

I'd like to see the Wall come down if you've managed to take out the baddies. Makes perfect sense.

I'd also like to suggest that you be able to get a guaranteed Shockwave Pack before The Wall and that this item be able to open a path through the wall somehow. Perhaps there'd be one waiting at The Wall if you defeated the Arena Master, either in the hands of another unique monster or with a little thank you note.

Also since the Shockwave Pack can spawn earlier than the wall there's a small chance that anyone, under any circumstances might be able to clear the wall.

Edit: Here's an idea I like a lot. If you've killed the Arena Master, then the level that spawns The Wall stairs also spawns a unique creature above those stairs, which doesn't act and is indestructible until the level is cleared. (Alternatively players could use the Arena Master's Staff to activate it, perhaps.)

On Juggernaut Activation: You feel relatively- What the Hell?! The ground quakes beneath you! Something massive is on it's way!

The Juggernaut
A modified Bruiser Brother, Bright Green!

Description: Hell is very not pleased with you mortal! They've sent one of their mightiest engines of destruction after you. You may run, but you cannot hide from the earth-shattering power of the Juggernaut.

Attacks

Melee: Melee damage should probably be reduced due to the very low level of the player, but add in a serious knockback of two to four squares should make it seem pretty beastly and set the player up for a one-two with the ranged attack. It would be awesome if a player knocked back this way destroyed any walls that they bumped into, giving them a chance to put something between themselves and the Juggernaut if they can't take the heat.

Ranged: Short Range projectile (1-2 squares) which differs from the originals by being fire and causing less damage. (Allowing at least Blue Armor to help resist.) I think that this attack should have a small chance to destroy walls in one hit or have a reduced blast radius as well.

AI: The Juggernaut uses the new Cyberdemon AI which encourages it to chase the player and fire at walls.

Rewards: The Juggernaut drops 1-3 shockwave packs depending on difficulty.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:17 by DeathDealer »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Wall
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38 »

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of plot and flavor being added to The Wall. I mean - we have a whole bunch of powerful demons locked away behind a thick wall. Doesn't that make you wonder who and why put them there? Were they put there to guard something (the backpack?). Or were they sealed off, isolated? Perhaps by tearing down the wall you're releasing something even worse.

Oh.

Um.

The original idea? Yeah... tearing down the wall after it has been cleared away is probably a good idea.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 18:23 »

Probably demons locked away after a failed uprising.

I'd like to see special levels which changed slightly based on difficulty level. Where additional challenge nets more depth of narrative. Even just small bits. I feel like this already happens with the arena->chained court links. It's not difficulty so much as challenge level there but it would help nightmare be more alluring... what more might you learn in the depths of the nightmare?

Perhaps if you're playing on Nightmare there's already a path through the wall but the monsters don't appear until after you've passed through. Guess that demon army still has an ambush or two up it's sleeve?
Pages: [1]