Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 01:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shooting through barrels  (Read 4291 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Shooting through barrels
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:41 »

In Doom barrels were about half the human height, and thus a player could easily shoot enemy behind the barrel without hitting it. In DoomRL however, any shot that passes through the barrel hits it, what is incorrect I suppose. So I propose that only the shot that has the barrel as it's target should hit it, the others should just pass freely. It might need a few AI changes for monsters to recognize barrels and shoot at them.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting through barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:50 »

In vanilla Doom you have no Y axis to aim on and actors are infinitely tall.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:37 »

this
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 13:29 »

Would be much too convenient IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 13:54 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 15:45 »

Really? Do you say that you were not able to climb up or down in vanilla Doom? In vanilla Doom you only had auto aiming, every object had it's height. And also, the height is the Z axis, not the Y from what I know.
This feature would only make things more logical, I don't think that this will affect the game balance significantly.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 16:39 »

Really? Do you say that you were not able to climb up or down in vanilla Doom? In vanilla Doom you only had auto aiming, every object had it's height. And also, the height is the Z axis, not the Y from what I know.
This feature would only make things more logical, I don't think that this will affect the game balance significantly.
I beg to differ.  Allowing the firing across barrels does significantly change the game mechanics, simply because what was ordinarily a death trap is now something that is somewhat less so.

There is of course some refinement of the idea that may make this a little bit more palatable for game balance.  For things that use 10mm ammunition, I think we can allow the firing over the barrel -- weapons that fire 10mm bullets can be aimed and fired in a decent enough grouping, sans rapid fire weapons in chainfire mode.  But for shotguns, explosives and plasma weapons, no such luck because the fired projectile spreads just too much.

Note that for the purpose of argument, Anti-Freak Jackal counts like a normal pistol shot in spite of it being explosive due to the way the source material defines it.
I computed, therefore I was.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 18:58 »

Yep.  You could not aim down the Y axis and actors were infinitely tall.  Which is why walking under bridges and running over objects was impossible in vanilla Doom.  Depending on what you learned on depth can be positive or negative, Y or Z, but either way I'm going to more directly assert my dislike for you and my belief that you are an idiot.  Because of your cheek.

Your move son.  I have high hopes for a professional retort so do put some effort into it.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:12 »

ACHTUNG!!
Moderator on board!

Okay kiddies. Chaosforge is a quite lax forum when it comes to moderation but some sort of civility should be followed, regardless of how much the other person annoys us, lest the forums devolve into a shitstorm. The above post is going to remain, for sake of example, but any further personal shots (regardless by who, regardless in what topic or forum) will be dealt with editions and/or deletions and/or warnings. And potentially even bans if it goes that far. Consider yourselves warned.

- Inquisition.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:19 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

GrimmC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 17:53 »

Actors were infinitely tall for the purposes of whether two objects could pass over each other, but certainly not for aiming on the z-axis. Think about it; how else could they pass through areas with different z-heights? (i.e. a lost soul floating its way up to a window)

To make it obvious, imagine you're standing on a ledge in Doom and many enemies are crowded right beneath it. If you fire your chaingun off, it certainly doesn't hit every enemy in the LoS, even if they're 500 units below. Gameplay would have been a lot more lame if it worked that way.

Having said all that, it's only really relevant when there are different floor heights. In an area where everything is on the same level, hitting the barrel is basically a guarantee. Hence it's basically irrelevant for DoomRL.

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:01 »

Well, I do remember that if you stood at a high ledge, monsters far below you could still hit you with melee attacks.
Likewise you could activate buttons that should have been too high or too low for you to reach.

Don't know if it was more lame or amusing...
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38
Pages: [1]