Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 18:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|AoB|52%|YAVP] (Lucky) Scavenger Diamond  (Read 3308 times)

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
[N!|AoB|52%|YAVP] (Lucky) Scavenger Diamond
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:40 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.3) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Bobby Prince, level 13 Arch-Vile Legend, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 20587 turns and scored 527760 points.
 He played for 22 minutes and 45 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 512 out of 984 hellspawn. (52%)
 He was an Angel of Berserk!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 9
  Levels visited   : 4
  Levels completed : 2

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Minor Icarus Cross
  Compet-n Silver Cross
  Scavenger Diamond Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..........................................................#
  .......###........................###.....................#
  .......###........................###.....................#
  ..###..###..........###......###..###......###............#
  ..###.......###.....###......###...........###............#
  ..###.......###.....###......###...........###............#
  ............###...........................................#
  ...................................###....................#
  ..###..............................#>#....................#
  ..###........................###...###|........###........#
  ..###........................###.....}||.......###........#
  .............................###.......X.......###........#
  .......###................................................#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 161/100   Experience 74288/13
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +6  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +9

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 5)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Brute            (Level 3)
    Berserker        (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Blademaster      (Level 1)

Bru->Bru->Ber->Bru->HR->HR->MBm->DM->Iro->Iro->Iro->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Longinus Spear (8d8)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   modified steel boots [1/1] (98%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   combat knife (2d5)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] green armor [1/1] (87%)
    [b] green armor [1/1] (81%)
    [c] green armor [1/1] (55%)
    [d] green armor [1/1] (100%)
    [e] green armor [1/1] (59%)
    [f] blue armor [1/2] (4%)
    [g] modified chainsaw (5d6) (B)
    [h] small med-pack
    [i] small med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] homing phase device
    [l] envirosuit pack
    [m] power mod pack
    [n] power mod pack
    [o] power mod pack
    [p] power mod pack
    [q] technical mod pack
    [r] hatred skull

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

66 former humans
    49 former sergeants
    22 former captains
    109 imps
    33 demons
    80 lost souls
    18 cacodemons
    31 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    13 hell knights
    10 arachnotrons
    4 former commandos
    1 Angel of Death
    6 pain elementals
    22 arch-viles
    19 mancubi
    10 revenants
    4 nightmare imps
    4 nightmare cacodemons
    8 nightmare demons
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  He left level 6 as soon as possible.
  On level 6 he stormed the Chained Court.
  He left level 14 as soon as possible.
  On level 15 he encountered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 16 he found the Longinus Spear!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 18 he entered the Vaults.
  He managed to clear the Vaults completely!
  On level 23 he entered the Lava Pits.
  He decided it was too hot there.
  He left level 24 as soon as possible.
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You need to taste blood!
 You feel more calm.
 You start running!
 The Cyberdemon fires! You are hit!
 The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge!
 The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 You hit the Cyberdemon. You feel like a killing machine! You're going
 berserk! You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon hits you. You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon hits you. You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Cyberdemon. You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Cyberdemon. You're going berserk! The Cyberdemon misses you.
 You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. Congratulations! You defeated
 the Cyberdemon! Press <Enter>... Next!

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 772 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 684 of those were killed.
 13 of those were killed by something unknown.
 34 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 13 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 28 souls claim to have killed him...
 6 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 22 killed the bastard and survived.

I did not expect to get this. Recently I decided to take a break from serious diamond hunting since most of the ones left aren't actually fun to try (at least not the first three levels of them which I get to play over and over). So now I'm trying to complete easier challenges in between playing games just for fun (weird concept there, playing a game for fun...). Luckily for me I find N! AoB fun so I figured I could make half-assed attempts at the scavenger diamond while just killing stuff (half-assed and lucky because I wasn't getting the staff). I don't know if I got it quick or not, but it only took me four AoB wins to get it. The wins went as followed:

#1. I was more concerned with the berserker diamond so I ended up using too many phases in the Hellgate. Standard win.

#2. This time I had a single phase device by the time I found the Vaults. I completely forgot about the teleporters so I thought if I made it in I wouldn't get out so I didn't try. Found a bunch of nukes so I figured I nuke JC, listed as 'won by sacrifice' despite being invulnerable. Already had the veteran diamond so I don't know if it would have counted.

#3. I was pretty hopeful this time because after getting LS I had three phases, which I figured was a decent number... and the Vaults didn't get generated. Found a nuke, used the LS on JC.

#4. This run. After getting the LS I have a single phase device and two homing phases. I press on, find the Vaults, take a quick look around for more phases and come up empty handed. I enter the Vaults berserking with a single phase device and figure 'what the hell?'. To my surprise I actually make it into the middle chamber. I quickly kill the everything inside (I was hitting hard enough that none of the Revs left corpses, or maybe it was Vile fire) and only then do I check to to see if I have enough medpacks, finding out I had three large ones. This is the moment that I remember there are teleporters and I (edit:)didn't need a homing phase. I crack open the left vault with the LS alt-fire (which I never remember to use in combat) and kill the Viles. On my way over to the right chamber tragedy strikes, my berserk runs out.

I take a quick assessment of the situation and realize I'm carrying a red armor plus a stack of power mods. Deciding the go with a single power mod for a higher rating/movespeed, I use one of the large medpacks at full health so I can open up the last chamber. As I blast it open, a Rev gets a good look at me and hits me right in the face with a rocket. I step aside to heal, partially because of the damage, partially so I could be running while entering. Two more rockets to the face, but I'm next to a few of them and aren't the only one hurt. Since I had MBm I knew I could kill two of them in zero time then heal for the last time. One more step after the heal and I'm standing next to both of them, one almost dead, the other wounded. I kill the weaker one first and end up berserking off the hit that killed the other. At this point I use a homing phase since the Vaults don't generate medpacks and I needed to carry this berserk as long as I could being that I was out of healing. It didn't matter to me though, since I knew I had just gotten a diamond. I get lucky and secure some healing soon after, went to the Lava pits, realized I never got a nuke and just went for the standard win.

Side note: I used to love MVm for melee runs but now I'm unsure of whether it's better or worse than MBm, specifically for N!. In UV and below I still think MVm is better, but with the longer berserk time in N!, having levels of hell runner and zero time kills makes it easier to stay 'perma-zerked' with MBm. Also I'm not sure how the Rev battle in the right chamber would have played out if I actually had to take time for the first three kills. I might not have been able to pull it off since I wasn't next to the last two of when I killed the first two. Even without considering that one situation, MBm is still much faster than MVm, but you are relying on finding enough healing while running around to survive, so it isn't clearly better, but it isn't clearly worse either. One question worth asking is whether MBm strengths come from it's affect or it's prerequisites (the extra level of brute earlier and less time spent walking. I'm currently undecided. I do think MBm is better than MVm when it comes to speed runs, but I have no logic to back that up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:59 by AStranger »
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [N!|AoB|52%|YAVP] (Lucky) Scavenger Diamond
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:49 »

A bit lucky maybe, but you got pretty unlucky on #3 not to have The Vaults spawn at all.  And... 11 diamond badges? You are a machine!

In regard to blademaster vs vampyre: First, let me clear one thing up... hellrunner (and finesse) do not make berserk last longer (usually*).  The berserk counter goes down once per player action with very few exceptions.  To see if the berserk counter is going down, look for the telltale "You need to taste blood!" message.  Extra blademaster actions don't trigger the counter, so that is a plus for blademaster.

I'd say hellrunner is definitely much stronger than tough as nails for a berserker, especially because of the way the berserk speed bonus works... a hellrunning berserker can easily get <.3s moves.

To me, the major appeal of vampyre the ability to safely farm as much berserk as you want (if the opportunity presents itself).  I think this beats the bonus of blademaster itself, but I'm not sure about hellrunner.

*If you can get <.5s pre-berserk movespeed, hellrunner can extend berserk time.  You can pull this off with tactical boots and tactical armor, but without clearing Hell's Arena, I think you'd be hard pressed to find that many A mods.  If you can pull it off, boosting movespeed with berserk past .5s has rapidly increasing rewards.

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57 »

...hellrunner (and finesse) do not make berserk last longer (usually*).  The berserk counter goes down once per player action with very few exceptions...
I was not aware of that. My entire basis was actually just how each one of them felt. So if neither has an advantage in berserk duration during walking then I don't think I've been looking at this the right way. If I think about different types of situations, MVm wins most times, MBm/hellrunner splits the rest. MVm is clearly better if you can deal with opponents one at a time in close quarters, but in a wide open area with a pack of mobs I'd rather MBm. But even in that situation half the reason is still based on hellrunner. If walking speed/knockback reduction was the same and I was in the Mortuary... it's a really hard call. There is a lot to be said about instantly killing every mob touching you, but without health you die. Also it's not really possible to farm berserk time like with MVm.

I think the solution here is get rid of all the non-melee master traits and replace them with melee ones. Maybe fireangel can stay, just change shottyman to berserker. It wouldn't make the choice any easier, but it'd probably be a lot of fun.
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08 »

Well, for the record, zerk time starts getting longer whenever your actions are under 0.4 seconds. Fin(3) won't get you there, but a tactical set and HR(2) will (just barely) for movement. On the other hand, this is a bug that turns melee games, which are already easier under the right conditions, to become even easier. The way I categorize the melee master traits is that MBm complements the zerking state and MVm keeps you alive when you aren't zerked.

Nice job on the Scavenger Diamond. I'm probably gonna try for a triple Diamond when I get it (Arena/Berserker/Scavenger) since it's a plot run will make the Vaults most likely.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:09 »

...(Arena/Berserker/Scavenger)...
Why not make it a quad diamond and grab Veteran while you're at it? By that stage in melee it's pretty easy to pull off as long as you don't might a visit to the Mortuary for a nuke. Usually two enviro suits plus berserking is plenty for the Lava Pits. Although I can't really talk, the best I've managed this version is a double diamond.
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:41 »

A request:

On the wiki there's a page describing diamond badge strategies and listing which ones have been achieved.  It's a bit out of date though.  Could you update it?  You seem the most qualified one for the job right now...
Pages: [1]