Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 04:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Half-seen squares  (Read 1995 times)

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
Half-seen squares
« on: June 18, 2011, 15:09 »

Hmm, a small idea just popped in my head.

I'm a total newbie in DoomRL and currently trying to wrap my mind around cornershooting. It's an interesting and fun tactic but currently it's far from obvious when it can be used (and it wasn't exactly intuitive that it was even possible in the first place).

Currently the game shows everything in your LOS normally and all the squares you've previously seen as dark grey.
What if there were was a different shade used for squares you can 'half see' (i.e. can safely shoot at)?

This would take away the guessing and make it easy to learn the 'sweet spots'.

I'm not sure how this should work for the squares with enemies, though.
Just show them normally? (i.e. player can still use the color of the surrounding empty squares as estimate)
Make a similar color change for the enemies? (could cause confusion)
Use a separate 'half-seen enemy' symbol? (possibly too big a change from current)

Don't know if this is a good idea or not but I'm throwing it out here anyway...
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
Re: Half-seen squares
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 15:57 »

I'd imagine corner shooting works by sticking the muzzle of your gun past the edge of the wall and angling it back as far as possible without exposing yourself, essentially holding your gun sideways or nearly backwards. An indicator of what you can hit like this would be nice but you can't actually see that area so enemies shouldn't show up.

Somewhat related, I think an indicator of your shotgun's spread when aiming would be helpful.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 17:51 »

Actually I think cornershooting wasn't supposed to exist in the first place. But well, a fair part of the game's balance is probably dependent on it now, it's hard to "fix" it now. :|
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 20:06 »

Yes, ParaSait is correct.  There are some issues with the LOS shooting code which ended up with the corner shooting "trick" that is embedded in the game play that fixing it is non-trivial.

But back to the suggestion.  =P

I think that half-seen squares idea sounds useful but might be unlikely to make it into production code.  The reason is that you can always shoot at any of the dark squares "safely" -- the moment you fire into some place that you cannot see completely, you will automatically incur the 50% accuracy penalty.  The only reason why you might be unable to hit something particularly when you fire from the south is due to the strange LoS code that we are currently using.

As for showing the spread for shotguns, I like that idea.  (=
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]