Chaosforge Forum

• April 17, 2024, 18:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: News from the Forge vol. 3: DoomRL 0.9.9.4 BETA status thread  (Read 14304 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: News from the Forge vol. 3: DoomRL 0.9.9.4 BETA status thread
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 14:08 »

And another big thing! Yes, faster than we would expect, DoomRL 0.9.9.4 Beta 4 was given to us by his divine majesty Kornel, and as I said, this one is big. Like, really big.

First of all, however, it must be known to the wider world now (wider world being everyone not frequenting our most divine IRC channel, which would be considered blasphemy, if I had anything to say on that subject) that Kornel Almighty is no longer alone at working on the code of DoomRL. A good fellow named tehtmi joined him, and in their joint effort DoomRL is being made even more great than it is now with every day.

But I digress. What new this version brings to us? Well, a big thing: resistances. Yes, now various items will grant you resistances to numerous types of damage, and some enemies will be more hardy against some of your weapons (for example, Lost Souls having 50% resistance to 'bullet' damage type). And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Also, this time I won't be reminding that you should donate to see those changes before they go public, because, frankly, if you are following this thread, then you should know that already.

Bugfixes
Tehtmi has fixed a number of bugs that were - I believe - present in previous version, but so insanely obscure that only modders could run into a chance of them occurring (like a game crash with >255 items spawned). So, nothing that you are likely to notice, but it is good to know that only such bugs are fixed as of late.

Oh wait. A vision.

I am reeving a vision!

...well, okay. Some of the fixes were in fact big, Almighty Kornel tells me. And I must repeat after him. Like shotgun aiming. I don't know, I don't use shotguns. But he tells me that I have to tell you that. So yes, good tehtmi fixed also some more obvious things.

...please, no more light!

New Features
  • Damage resistances!
  • New uniques and exotics (8 exotics, 2 uniques)!
  • New assemblies - whole ten of them!
  • Another wonderful song by our Simon-v - Of Skull And Bone!
  • New AIs for boss enemies!
  • And, finally, new ASCII arts for some enemies, including Angel of Death and Arch-viles

So, that is all for now. But it is not the end: and the next beta is going to bring something very, very interesting for every DoomRL player, something really worth seeing.

So, stay tuned, and donate if you want to experience the beta!
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 19:43 »

*Shoop da Whoop runs around slowly losing sanity*

60 specials? 40 assemblies? It's first hundred!
...Cannot remember any other game with such an arsenal.

By the way, will be timeline refreshed? Or everything is now announced on forums?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 19:46 by Shoop da Whoop »
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 23:23 »

I don't even remember this timeline.
I think that was a picture of DoomRL as seen from v0.9.9.1. Needless to say, we've come a long long way from this.
I think the forums and most of all the IRC channel, are the places to find the most current information.

Still - I WOULD like to see this timeline updated!

EDIT: Gargulec's posts here are the most current *CONFIRMED* details of the latest developments.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 23:28 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 16:03 »

Listen up, for I won't take long (and I am not going to repeat either)!

Doom The Roguelike zero-nine-nine-four Release Candidate 1 is out for beta testing. I really do not have to say what does it mean for you, right?

So, without much ado.

Bugfixes
Some minor things, one major, though really rare: did you know that overloading nuclear weaponry could overwrite stairs, thus resulting in a level that is impossible to exit? Me neither. And now, no one will be able to see this critical, yet strangely never reported bug.

All hail Tehtmi for this!

New Features
Very few new things, but very big ones. How big?
  • New AI for most of the foes!
  • Proper and easy to use mod support!
That big. And even bigger.

Okay, there is not much else to tell at that point: RC1 is out, next will follow very soon, before you've noticed, new version will go public. And if you are really desperate to see it RIGHT NOW, consider donating.

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 08:53 »

Oh my, oh my. I wonder if the mod support will extend to the ability to introduce... multiplayer (daydreaming of mangband-style multiplayer, with enemies power scaling up with number of participants and no friendly-fire protection - with central server and stats registered both against players and against npcs. c'mon, if something as simple as Frozen Synapse can gather big audience, just imagine what can DoomRL do in that area...).

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40 »

Oh my, oh my. I wonder if the mod support will extend to the ability to introduce... multiplayer (daydreaming of mangband-style multiplayer, with enemies power scaling up with number of participants and no friendly-fire protection - with central server and stats registered both against players and against npcs. c'mon, if something as simple as Frozen Synapse can gather big audience, just imagine what can DoomRL do in that area...).
I doubt that multiplayer will come from DRL1. Translating a turn-based game into a real-time environment is a LOT of work. In a game like DRL where projectiles dominate as a means of attack, there would need to be changes to the aiming mechanism, and projectiles themselves may require some changes regarding multiple shots in a burst fire and dodging a given projectile, maybe even to the point of setting up missiles that have their own speed and have to be dodged in order for damage to be done. It's not that it couldn't be implemented given time  but, at least for now, modding support doesn't go quite that far as to radically change the game system. Honestly, MDRL would almost be an entirely different game, much the way M Angband is, at the fundamental level of gameplay, an entirely different machine from its predecessor.

Of course, if you're saying that it should be a turn-based multiplayer DRL, THAT would be far more likely once online support starts to come into existence. I'm not sure it'd be very fun, or at least not over the course of an entire campaign: single-level mods may be small enough such that taking turns not would make a game last forever. (The stats server is quite possible, however, and I believe it's part of eventual plans now that we have a dedicated server for such things.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 01:43 »

Some minor things, one major, though really rare: did you know that overloading nuclear weaponry could overwrite stairs, thus resulting in a level that is impossible to exit? Me neither. And now, no one will be able to see this critical, yet strangely never reported bug.
Wait, does that mean... I'm actually invisible?!? They all said I was crazy, but now I finally have proof: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,4451.0.html. Or maybe I've just been awake for way too long, it's hard to tell.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53 »

I doubt that multiplayer will come from DRL1. Translating a turn-based game into a real-time environment is a LOT of work. In a game like DRL where projectiles dominate as a means of attack, there would need to be changes to the aiming mechanism, and projectiles themselves may require some changes regarding multiple shots in a burst fire and dodging a given projectile, maybe even to the point of setting up missiles that have their own speed and have to be dodged in order for damage to be done. It's not that it couldn't be implemented given time  but, at least for now, modding support doesn't go quite that far as to radically change the game system. Honestly, MDRL would almost be an entirely different game, much the way M Angband is, at the fundamental level of gameplay, an entirely different machine from its predecessor.

Of course, if you're saying that it should be a turn-based multiplayer DRL, THAT would be far more likely once online support starts to come into existence. I'm not sure it'd be very fun, or at least not over the course of an entire campaign: single-level mods may be small enough such that taking turns not would make a game last forever. (The stats server is quite possible, however, and I believe it's part of eventual plans now that we have a dedicated server for such things.)

Have you ever tried mangband? They did exactly that - made a multiplayer out of a roguelike game (angband). And imho it works well there for a campaign mode. I played that ages ago, but the experience was a blast. MAngband shares several similarities with DRL - like non persistant levels, ranged weapons (spells), etc. The only real difference is its not possible to go back upstairs in DRL. It's actually still online (http://www.mangband.org/).

Anyway - i think we wont know the worth of the idea until its tried :-D

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03 »

Wait, does that mean... I'm actually invisible?!? They all said I was crazy, but now I finally have proof: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,4451.0.html. Or maybe I've just been awake for way too long, it's hard to tell.

Nope, not invisible. I got that bug from your post. Thanks for all your bug reports!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08 »

Have you ever tried mangband? They did exactly that - made a multiplayer out of a roguelike game (angband). And imho it works well there for a campaign mode. I played that ages ago, but the experience was a blast. MAngband shares several similarities with DRL - like non persistant levels, ranged weapons (spells), etc. The only real difference is its not possible to go back upstairs in DRL.
I suppose my main point was that MAngband was quite probably built from scratch, using an entirely different engine in order to produce real-time gameplay. The game's CONTENT may be similar (if not identical) but the game's playstyle is fundamentally different. Not that I've played it (although it definitely says "real-time" on their website) but I assume that a number of functionalities have been adapted for real-time, which would greatly change any traditional roguelike. In short, I think that MDRL would be a lot like making a second game with a completely new engine, then adapting DRL content to it.

"Mod support" simply refers to the capacity for players to interact with the game's source in order to customize it however they choose. Allowing enough support to switch this game from turn-based to real-time MIGHT be a little too ambitious, even for the most hardcore of modders.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:53 »

'k, point understood, thank you for explanation :-D

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 13:46 »

Well... Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to announce that

Doom The Roguelike 0.9.9.4 has gone GOLD!

Release date is now First of September.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 22:14 »

0.9.9.4 has been released.  Thanks for following this thread.
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: 1 [2]  All