Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 02:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoMr|90%|YAVP] My first UV win  (Read 5393 times)

Missileboater

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[U|AoMr|90%|YAVP] My first UV win
« on: June 29, 2011, 21:29 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.3) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Adrian Carmack, level 13 Hell Baron Captain, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 125831 turns and scored 249476 points.
 He played for 2 hours, 15 minutes and 12 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 707 out of 783 hellspawn. (90%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Marksmanship!

He saved himself 6 times.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 9
  Levels visited   : 2
  Levels completed : 2

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Cyberdemon's Head
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Hell Champion Medal
  Marksman Gold Badge
  Arena Silver Badge
  Arena Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  .....###...................................................
  .....###.....................................###...........
  .....###.....................................###...........
  .............................................###...###.....
  ...........###.....................................###.....
  ...........###.........###...###........###........###.....
  ...........###.........###...###........###................
  .......................###...###..###...###................
  ..................................#>#...........###........
  ..................................###...........###........
  ....................................|...........###........
  .......###...###..................}|.......................
  .......###...###...........###......|......................
  .......###...###...........##..............................
  ...........................#...............................
  ..............................X............................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 51/50   Experience 70807/13
  ToHit Ranged +2  ToHit Melee +2  ToDmg Ranged +3  ToDmg Melee +3

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 3)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 3)
    Son of a gun     (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 1)
    Dualgunner       (Level 1)

SoG->SoG->SoG->DG->SoB->SoB->SoB->Fin->Fin->HR->HR->HR->EE->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   power armor [8/8] (100%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   speedloader pistol (2d4) [5/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [1/1] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   modified pistol (2d5) [5/6] (P1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] high power pistol (2d6) [4/4]
    [b] tristar blaster (4d5)x3 [45/45]
    [c] modified red armor [4/4] (101%) (B)
    [d] Medical Powerarmor [4/4] (100%)
    [e] 10mm ammo (x16)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [h] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [i] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [j] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [k] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [l] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [m] small med-pack
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] large med-pack
    [s] large med-pack
    [t] large med-pack
    [u] blood skull

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

89 former humans
    53 former sergeants
    34 former captains
    123 imps
    88 demons
    127 lost souls
    45 cacodemons
    28 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    17 hell knights
    10 arachnotrons
    17 former commandos
    10 pain elementals
    23 arch-viles
    33 mancubi
    9 revenants

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 3 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 6 he assembled a speedloader pistol!
  On level 10 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 10 he assembled a tactical boots!
  He left the Armory without drawing too much attention.
  On level 11 he ran for his life from acid!
  On level 15 he encountered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 18 he found the Nano Pack!
  On level 19 he assembled a power armor!
  On level 20 he found the Medical Powerarmor!
  On level 20 he assembled a high power weapon!
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Cyberdemon (mortally wounded) [m]ore | pool of blood
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Cyberdemon (almost dead) [m]ore | pool of blood
 The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The
 Cyberdemon fires! You are hit!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You dualreload your guns! The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. You feel relatively
 safe now. Congratulations! You defeated the Cyberdemon! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 95 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 63 of those were killed.
 1 of those was killed by something unknown.
 3 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 5 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 23 souls claim to have killed him...
 22 killed the bastard and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart hell itself.

Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum so hopefully I did everything right. I usually play my games on HNTR or HMP since my last UV attempts end up dying on like level 2 since I never really used tricks all that much until now. However, when I watched Game Hunter's video on doing Hell's Arena for the Arena Gold Badge, I decided to take a shot at it and started a UV game on Angel of Marksmanship.

Started the game with a Bulk mod, I immediate put it on my pistol thinking I'd need it. Learning about gift dropping really helped out on the earlier levels. Usually I just run into the building on level 1 and reach the stairs with very low health and no medpacks due to opening doors to eat a shotgun blast. But with gift dropping and getting the map with 2 pillars at the front, as well as switching to frontal start position ( first time using that too ), I ended the level with no damage and about 3 medpacks I believe, I already noticed a difference. Confidence restored, I descended.

With the knowledge of gift dropping equipped, I managed to clear the earlier levels without taking much damage and stocked up on 10mm ammo, armor, and small med packs. Then, after clearing level 3, I encountered the stairs to the Hell's Arena and descended it.

When I entered the arena, there were only a few enemies around me, so I decided to try and run to avoid being detected. I managed to reach the pillar at the bottom of the map and the enemy sounds weren't that loud. At that point I remembered about enemies liking to go towards the center of the map and noticed two pillars in the middle-left of the map close to my position. So I waited in place for a few seconds for the enemies to move towards the middle, and made my way to the middle-left pillars. I noticed a demon at long range when I got there, but I manage to destroy it quickly enough. From there I constantly shot blindly towards the middle of the map. Some of the cacodemons tried to run to me, but didn't get a chance to fire back. The wave eventually fell and the second wave spawned in. Luckily, none of the enemies spawned in my sight, so I used the same tactic above, with the same outcome. Being glad that I managed to cleared the first two waves without taking damage, I accepted the last wave.

At the start of the third wave, I didn't see a Baron in sight, so I just used the same tactic above of waiting and shooting blindly. I managed to get the attention of one Baron and took him down with little trouble thanks to corner tricks. However, the other Baron got a sneak attack shot on me while I searched for it, so I lost the Arena Key at that point. But, I managed to take it down after finding some cover and running around it while shooting at the Baron. In time it also fell and I won Hell's Arena. I was really excited about even getting this far into a UV game, so I took the reward and descended.

At this point, I really didn't think I would make it very far, so I never even got to level 4 before on UV. But armed with new strategies and some luck, I continued onward, although playing very cautiously. At level 6, I managed to find both both mods to make the speedloader pistol, which helped a whole lot in tight situations through the rest of the game because of the dualreload trick mentioned by Game Hunter's videos. A few levels down I manged to pick up an agility and power mod. Decided to stick the Power mod on a new pistol for more damage and put the Bulk pistol in the inventory for backup. Got the other mod needed for tactical boots, which I really needed since my movement speed was really sluggish at that time. I decided to kill everything but not release the Shambler, because I had times in normal HNTR/HMP games where it would just teleport away and heal all the damage I've done  with chainguns and rockets before coming back, I dare not to try it with only pistols.

A few levels down I encountered the Hellgate. At first I thought I can just use my normal tactic of running out, then when the walls come down retreat back into the room to use as a choke point. However, as soon as the walls lowered, I saw the big, scary, yellow V behind me, and I panicked. I really did not expect an Arch-Vile to be here this early at all, and I just ran to the right, closing the door, ran some more to see more walls come down, ran between the bright red Bs taking a lot of damage from their plasma projectiles, so I had to use a few large med packs just to get into the gate and escape the place. At this point I really thought I wasn't going to make it if things get this hard, and I was startig to run out of 10mm ammo, but my luck was about to change.

Descending the levels in Phobos Hell, I managed to re-stock on 10mm due to some lucky former captain spawns. A few levels later, I saw a bright green + in the bottom right corner of the map and discovered that it was a Nano Pack. Excited, I looked through my assemblies and noticed that Power Armor was something I can make with Nano packs, so I decided to save it until I found the other mod. Luck was on my side, because on the very next level near the entrance, there was a power mod just sitting there. Without a wasted second, I put together the Power Armor, and noticed that it had an awesome Armor rating of 8. I really felt invincible at this point. I maxed out on SoaG, SoaB, and had 2 traits in Finesse. All my actions cost about 1/3 of a second a turn, and I pretty much breezed through almost all the rest of the levels.

On level 24, I found a room just full of Arch-Viles and Mancubi, so I decided to skip it, even if that meant not discovering about half the level. However, in the room next to the stairs, there were two invulnerability globes, 2-3 spaces next to each other. However, I don't have a certain item in my inventory, and I didn't want to try my luck with the Vs and Ms only to die this far in. So I just took the two globes and go onto Phobos Arena.

The Cyberdemon died without a chance to damage me. Had to run through half the map to see it, but it fell before my invulnerability wore off. I was really satisfied with that run, especially since I ranked up to Major from that. However, that was an almost perfect opportunity for a chance at a full win, although I'm not sure how tough it is on UV. I missed the chance all because of not finding one item ( on a related note, never found a single phase device/homing phase device in the entire run, not sure what's up with that ). All in all, I'd say it was a really nice run for being the first victory on UV, especially in a Challenge mode. Well, I'm off to get that UAC Gold Badge now with my confidence restored.

( Sorry about the length and detail, especially in a challenge forum. But I really had a lot to say about this run. )

P.S. Game Hunter, if you're reading this, I really appreciate the videos you do about the game. I probably wouldn't have been able to do this or have the motivation for it without them. They really taught me a lot about the game and made the experience much more enjoyable

Edit: Fixed, beginning of my write-up got cut off
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:33 by Missileboater »
DoomRL 0.9.9.4         | DoomRL 0.9.9.3
[23|19|18|7|2]          | [24|18|16|5|0]
Arch-vile Mjr General | Arch-vile Colonel
[27m/59s/40a]          | [29m/48s/27a]

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
Re: [U|AoMr|90%|YAVP] My first UV win
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 23:53 »

the start kinda got cut off...
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Missileboater

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:35 »

Ah, sorry about that, CTRL+A from notepad didn't seem to get all of it the first time. Should be fixed now.

Kind of noticed it was a bit shorter than I expected.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47 »

omg... that's a really long entry!

Also, much congratulations for a successful win like this.  Here's to more wins in DoomRL.

* thelaptop clinks wine glass with Missileboater's
I computed, therefore I was.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:03 »

First UV win is like first having sex -- while you'll do it a lot of times in your life, you'll always remember the first time ;).

On a more serious note -- congratulations, and thank you for the detailed story, and welcome to the forums!

Game_Hunter - here's a thank you to you too, as you see people do appreciate your work :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:57 »

First UV win is like first having sex -- while you'll do it a lot of times in your life, you'll always remember the first time ;).
Also, it gives you a great orgasm!
:P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 19:34 »

So glad to see my videos are helping people out. I honestly have no idea 'cause there are virtually no comments from people on the forums or on the videos themselves. But if you pulled off UV AoMr on your first try, in part because of inspiration? That's...really awesome, thanks.

( Sorry about the length and detail, especially in a challenge forum. But I really had a lot to say about this run. )
Actually I wish MORE people had length and detail in their post-mortems. Unless it's something ridiculous like a Diamond, the fun part is reading how the run went, not so much that it happened.

BTW, I'd try to take SoG(4) when you hit clvl12. The firing time you get with the fourth level makes shooting just so ridiculous. SoG(5) is pretty overkill, so I wouldn't hold it against anyone to focus on something else like Iro(5) or HR(3) instead.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Missileboater

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 22:52 »

Thank you for all the replies.

Your videos really helped me out. Each video showed me something new that I adapted into my play style. In the past I was honestly way too used to having Intuition rank 2 to hold my hand throughout the entire game. It really gimped me early game because I just wasn't efficient at all with killing enemies, which was why I never got past like level 2 in UV. Only reason I got past some of the middle-tier challenges like my only Angel of 100 run was because getting a very early blaster pretty much destroys all competition when combined with Intuition rank 2. Now that I learned how to use the environment ( enemy sounds and behaviors ) and tricks ( especially gift dropping for early levels ), I can kill much more efficiently with "Max damage" builds instead of going for Intuition rank 2.

I've always been reluctant to ask questions on Youtube, pretty much thinking they'd be ignored. But I guess if something comes to mind I'll go ahead with it.

Now back to the game. About that point in the game ( where I took the extra Hellrunner ), I was starting to think about the fight with the Cyberdemon since I was getting real close. I remembered how accurate the Cyberdemon can be with rockets, and I'm not skilled enough to reliably predict how many extra turns I'd get before an opponent's turn, so I decided on extra dodge instead. However, that was pretty much wasted due to the two invulnerability globes before Phobos Arena. But I'll keep that in mind for next time, if I decide to go for AoMr again.

I do have a question. Were there any of the special levels that I should've done? I was playing really cautiously, skipping what I thought would've been too much. The extra experience might've boosted me a character level or two. I partially completed Hell's Armory, but I wasn't sure if I would've been able to beat the Shambler with its teleport+health regen combo. And with the Hellgate, was there a reliable way of doing it? If I ran back I would've been torn apart by Arch Viles, and if tried to take cover ahead, the other enemies would've blocked my line of fire with the Arch Viles.

Thanks again.

P.S. Currently trying to play through a normal UV game for UAC Gold, and I really miss the knockback the pistols had. Feels really strange without it now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 22:58 by Missileboater »

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 06:15 »

...as well as switching to frontal start position...

Umm... what's that?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:25 »

Umm... what's that?
It means a change in the configuration file that makes you start the game from the front of the base as opposed to the top-most-left corner of the map.
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 09:27 »

About that point in the game ( where I took the extra Hellrunner ), I was starting to think about the fight with the Cyberdemon since I was getting real close. I remembered how accurate the Cyberdemon can be with rockets, and I'm not skilled enough to reliably predict how many extra turns I'd get before an opponent's turn, so I decided on extra dodge instead.
If you want a sure thing against Cybie, Dodgemaster is the safe pick. HR(3) is great because of the extra speed an' all, but DM guarantees a dodge if you sidestep properly.

Were there any of the special levels that I should've done?
Shambler isn't all that rough if you have knockback by then (and I'd wager you did), so I would have likely fought him. Admittedly CC+ on UV AoMr is really hard...since it was your first successful pass of HA, not risking the battle against AM was a good decision. Halls of Carnage is always free experience because of the three Supercharges you get. Other than that...there aren't really any special levels that AoMr finds all that easy. Spider's Lair is doable, City of Skulls is doable if you get MGK, Vaults is doable. None of them have bullets, though, so you're betting that some captains will show up soon after. UV Marksman suffers from ammo conservation issues, as it's pretty easy to use up two or three stacks on a single floor. Any of the Hell specials should only be taken if you have the luxury to do so: otherwise skipping them is a fair bet (although Lava Pits isn't TOO bad ammo-wise if you have the environsuits for it).

I've always been reluctant to ask questions on Youtube, pretty much thinking they'd be ignored. But I guess if something comes to mind I'll go ahead with it.
You can post commons on YouTube, or you can reply in the video thread here. Doesn't matter for me, I'll try my best to respond to anything thrown at me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:43 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Missileboater

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 23:51 »

Alright, thanks for the answers. I'm real glad that I decided to play it safe that time. Do kind of wish more of the special levels are tuned for certain challenges, like the prizes for Hell's Arena, so at least there's some inclination to do them. But, that's a topic for another thread.
Pages: [1]