DoomRL > Modding

HereticRL demo

(1/3) > >>

Game Hunter:
I've spent a lot of time lately working on modding Heretic (wiki link) for the DoomRL sandbox. The completed version will hopefully incorporate several levels from the original game (especially episode enders), as well as all weapons, enemies, items, and special nuances. In the meantime, however, I'd like to present a demo version, just so you get an idea of what it looks like so far.

HereticRL Demo

There's a readme file included in the zip directory, just follow it (installation requires very few steps) and everything should run smoothly. Let me know what you think! (And in case I missed any critical errors, let me know ASAP so I can take care of them.)

Ander Hammer:
Holy crap!

My question is, how different is this going to be from DoomRL? There are quite a few differences between the source games, after all...

thelaptop:

--- Quote from: Ander Hammer on July 12, 2011, 19:21 ---My question is, how different is this going to be from DoomRL? There are quite a few differences between the source games, after all...

--- End quote ---
Try it out and see first.

;-)

Game Hunter:
I would definitely test and take a look for yourself, as you should already begin to notice some changes in how items and whatnot work. As to what's in the demo that greatly diverges from DoomRL:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
* The Tome of Power. I've hard-coded all of the weapons so that their stats, projectiles, etc, change whenever you equip the weapon during the "powertome" effect. The weapons showcased in this demo aren't drastically affected, but it definitely changes up the gameplay. I may even expect players to be forced to use the Tome of Power on specific levels just to survive (and of course one will be given to you on such a level).
* The Torch, as well as other duration-based artifacts (excluding the Tome because it's special like that) are going to take up the "boots" slot. When equipped, they cannot be removed nor repaired and their durability decreases by one for every action you take. As such, you'll only be able to have one artifact on at a time, but the benefits will tend to be strong enough so that this isn't a huge issue. (Also, I don't want players saving all their artifacts just to use them all at once against bosses. They won't be THAT hard.)
* Ammo clips come in big and small sizes. This probably SHOULD be in the actual game, but ammo packs in .994 will probably ensure they don't, so this will likely be unique to HereticRL.
Depending on how well I can familiarize myself with the multilevel module (as well as the scrolling demo), I'd like to try making special levels that exist either across several floors or several screens, so that there can be a more expansive feel to the game. I don't think "height" will be very possible unless I can truly make a hacked masterpiece, but I can certainly aim for the illusion of height.

Overall, there won't be extra weapons/items/enemies added to the game (other than something from Hexen, Hexen II, and/or Heretic II), or at least that's as far as I'm looking into the long-term right now. The focus will be less on novelty and more on immersion.

Ander Hammer:

--- Quote from: thelaptop on July 12, 2011, 19:41 ---Try it out and see first.

;-)

--- End quote ---

I did, silly. I was thinking more in later-stage terms. If Game Hunter hadn't gotten to it first, I'd have designed a game with a different skill set, a different means of progression to differentiate it from a mere 'DoomRL clone'.

I was impressed by how much the tome of power changed everything noticeably; lol at murderstaff. The warriors even throw two kinds of axes...

What exactly does the torch do?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version