Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.3] Angel arm doesn't appear in mortem and clears the Vaults.  (Read 2038 times)

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile

I just finished an AoVash challenge and a lucky invulnerability or two let me go on a nuking spree. After checking the morterm to try to count actually how many nukes went off, I discovered two things. Using the angel arm doesn't add an entry for nuking the level in the mortem and it does count as clearing the vaults. The mortem lists 4 visited special levels, 1 completed and there is no way I completed either the CC, City of Skulls or the Lava pits but I did nuke the Vaults to raise the nuke count, so that one must be it. Here is the mortem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A nuke went off every regular floor from 18-26, then another in the Vaults. I used the Angel Arm eight times, one encountered nuke and my initial nuke (on floor 23) for a total of 10 nukes, but only the encountered and my initial made it to the mortem. I did get the Fallout platinum, though. I'm assuming nuking the Vaults is bad since it'd make the scavenger diamond a lot easier.

Wait, I found both the Trigun and GCB? Damn, too bad it wasn't an AoMr game...
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

I'm fairly certain that, while the Vaults is considered "cleared", it is not considered "completed" for the sake for the Gold/Plat/Diamond badges. The only way to check would be to do this on a clean game. (Also, I know that the Scavenger badges don't say complete, but IIRC Kornel has already mentioned that this is the way it works.) It could be that it counts as completed for the sake of Conqueror runs, so that you don't "accidentally" blow your chances with a nuke. So I'd say that this part of it isn't likely a bug.

That it doesn't appear in the mortem is a bug, albeit a long-outstanding one. Maybe it's not as easy a fix because the Trigun's nuke works differently from the others?
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

I looked at the code a little bit. Hopefully I can clear some things up.

The player history message for nuking is added by the thermonuclear bomb item; it would be simple to add a similar message to the Trigun.  But, as you found out, the majority of nuke-related stuff including the Fallout counter are done for any source of nuking.

The default condition for completing a level is to exit the level with no enemies left alive (which is a huge pain on Nightmare).  A few levels (like Hell's Arena) have a special condition instead (like requiring that all the waves are complete on Hell's Arena).  The Vaults doesn't have any special condition, and I don't recall any of the special conditions mentioning nukes.  This means that nuking levels will count for clearing special levels and the associated general medals (Conquerer, Thomas's).

The level-specific awards use entirely separate code however.  For the Vaults, Gold+ badges will not be awarded if the level has been nuked.  The same goes for Hellgate, Unholy Cathedral, and The Mortuary.

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile

The level-specific awards use entirely separate code however.  For the Vaults, Gold+ badges will not be awarded if the level has been nuked.  The same goes for Hellgate, Unholy Cathedral, and The Mortuary.
That makes sense. That down grades this to just the AA not entering the mortem, but this was already known had I been paying attention. To be honest this is one of the few times I've even used AA, and definitely the first time using it and reading the mortem.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9
Pages: [1]