Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battle Odds and Strategic Advice  (Read 3568 times)

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
Battle Odds and Strategic Advice
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:21 »

This thread is for when you aren't sure if you can take on a certain situation with a given set of traits/equipment and a certain strategy. Just give as much relevant info about your situation as possible and hopefully someone more experienced can help you out.

I'm on AoMC UV (beta 2b) about to do the Chained Court+. Traits that could make a difference: Badass (no TaN) and Fin2. 200% health. Combat Shotty w/ shell boxes. Chaingun w/ enough bullets. Rocket launcher & 20 extra rockets. Plasma Rifle w/ 50 extra cells. 5 Small medpacks + 1 Large mepack. 2 Blue armors at 100% and 88%.

I don't think I can zerk-saw-rush the Arena Master. Maybe go left, kill every former I can see with the chaingun and shoot at AM out of my sight. If he gets in sight, I guess I could rocket him away.

Alternatively, I could come at the Barons from the right, gib them and then blindly chaingun and rocket the former/AM mass in the center of the map.

Am I right to assume that AoMC complicates this enough to not use the tutorial strategy?

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Odds and Strategic Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29 »

If you go left past the doors at the beginning, the Barons can attack you from behind. If you stop to kill Formers (on the left), the AM will close distance fast and revive them. I think it's best to play it safe, focus on the AM, and invest in the rocket launcher and plasma rifle.

Option 1: Open the top door, shoot left with the chaingun until you start hitting the AM, then either continue or switch to plasma/rockets, continue until the AM is dead, then switch to normal tactics. Maybe grabbing the chainsaw & berserk packs first would be better, because the AM won't give you much breathing room if he's closed distance.

Option 2: Your alternative option. The AM will stop around the centre of the map so you should be able to get plenty of distance from him. You could also switch to this option if not having any luck with Option 1 and you suspect he's still closing distance.

Both should work because AoMC increases your accuracy to the degree that outside-LOS shots rarely miss.
/////

I'll add an additional question.

N! UC. Modified Red Armor 4/4 100% (A), or Modified Red Armor 6/6 100% (AP), Tactical Boots. Double Chainsaw. SoBx2, Finx3, HRx2. 8-10x  Large Medkits. (No Brute. Longinus Diamond rules). No berserking.

All Lost Souls & Demons are dead and won't respawn. How good are my odds against AoD in standard hand-to-hand combat in these situations?
AoMC
non-AoMC
same again but with a standard Chainsaw.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:45 by Firstblood »

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:18 »

Just YASDed. My fault for breaking a wall with rockets.

Well, you'd do 40 damage per hit (killing in 13) and take 17-11 depending on which armor and its condition. Could you try to have Whizkid2 before you make the Double Chainsaw? This would let you put one mod on it. Technical is probably the best choice. If you can outrun the AoD, then make use of your speed. In particular, run away before using a medpack. Also, when re-engaging, don't walk to him, make him walk to you while stepping side-to-side (faster reaction than using wait).

Also, take a look at this if you haven't GameHunter's successful Longinus Diamond.

Panicked late edit: In no way am I endorsing a non-berserked fair fight with AoD. I highly recommend using the knife throwing trick on AoMC. I apologize if you took my battle analysis as approval of your plan and YASDed as a result of that.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 15:59 by General Patton »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 21:04 »

I'm on AoMC UV (beta 2b) about to do the Chained Court+. Traits that could make a difference: Badass (no TaN) and Fin2. 200% health. Combat Shotty w/ shell boxes. Chaingun w/ enough bullets. Rocket launcher & 20 extra rockets. Plasma Rifle w/ 50 extra cells. 5 Small medpacks + 1 Large mepack. 2 Blue armors at 100% and 88%.
A saw rush isn't BAD. On UV you'd normally be getting hit by every bullet in the first place, and the zerk takes the damage down to minimal either way (6 / 4 = 1.5, rounded down). As long as you take care of the early captains with rockets first it really shouldn't be a problem. (I use this strategy for N! CC+, whenever it actually happens, and it has yet to fail me.) Don't try using rockets against AM himself, though: because of the splash damage bug, there's a good chance he won't take a lot of damage (he'll only get hurt in the tile he lands on, which will at least halve that 36). For AoMC, bring a chaingun/plasma rifle just for him and chainfire while zerked. If he approaches you at all (and there aren't many captains) you may as well switch to the saw. If there are captains around him, shoot them instead, as any actions spent waiting while zerked are wasted actions.

Alternatively you could play it safe with a combat shotty. Given how much damage you're dealing, you should be able to take care of the enemies as they respawn, lobbing an occasional rocket to get rid of corpses. Watch for the barons and saw them on a door if they approach.

N! UC. Modified Red Armor 4/4 100% (A), or Modified Red Armor 6/6 100% (AP), Tactical Boots. Double Chainsaw. SoBx2, Finx3, HRx2. 8-10x  Large Medkits. (No Brute. Longinus Diamond rules). No berserking.

All Lost Souls & Demons are dead and won't respawn. How good are my odds against AoD in standard hand-to-hand combat in these situations?
AoMC
non-AoMC
same again but with a standard Chainsaw.
AoMC rules make it a matter of timing. Fin(3) gives you .45 attack speed (I think it rounds to either .4 or .5), and tac boots with HR(2) is something like .54, which should round down to .5. AoD gets ~.6 time per action, so you're faster than him roughly every six actions. Just waltz around the Cathedral's outside and time things correctly, he'll certainly go down if you're careful enough. (Admittedly my knife strategy was thought up before I knew that speeds are rounded to the nearest .1, making timing calculations rather easy.)

Non-AoMC is the same, except that it'll take a lot longer; same for standard chainsaw only. Either way it should STILL be faster than a knife, albeit more deadly if you misstep even a little bit (it would be a good idea, for instance, to give yourself some extra space when making the rounds, as the Angel of Death will cut through the lava to get to you). Also might want some EE on non-AoMC in order to increase your chance to hit.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:50 »

Thanks, I decided a practical experiment would give me the answer.
After testing, I've decided the AoD is very defeatable in fair combat without brute & berserk, you need Finesse 2+, Hellrunner 2+ (walking speed under 0.6s), Eagle Eye 1-2 (on non AoMC), Chainsaw and 10+ large medpacks (theoretical extrapolation from AoMC). You should be able to halve the number of required medpacks needed if:
* playing on AoMC or
* using the Double Chainsaw or
* timing attacks to some degree

The actual experiment was made on AoMC with 3 medpacks and a modified standard Chainsaw (BPT) (some timing, but mostly held ground except when healing/switching armor, because I wanted to see what AoD's best shot at me was), but I'm going to assume on other angels it's ~3 times harder, taking average damage and AoD armor into account. All lost souls and demons were killed in standard hand-to-hand (Demons on doors) without taking any damage (in non-AoMC I would recommend lavabath). The medpack requirement shouldn't be that steep especially if using the double chainsaw and timing attacks. Definitely don't switch armor or use medpacks or anything else that takes ~1.0s while standing next to AoD though. Put at least 2 squares between AoD and yourself first.

tl;dr:
Fin 2+, HR 2+(walk <0.6s), EE 2, Chainsaw+, 10+ Large Medpacks -> Killable AoD w/o Brute?
YASD possible if you let the AoD double-hit you or don't heal (not possible if done right).

Oh yes, and different armor types didn't make a huge difference on his single attacks, so if wearing Red Armor or similar, ensure your movespeed is <0.6s so you can get away from AoD when necessary, but in any case, this would be a good way to wreck your armor fast, well unless you have plenty of spares. You're probably better off facing him with indestructible or regenerating armor (that doesn't slow you down).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:58 by Firstblood »
Pages: [1]