Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [H|88%|22|YASD] When things get *VERY* ugly...  (Read 5987 times)

Dreadlord

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[H|88%|22|YASD] When things get *VERY* ugly...
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:49 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am a newbie player in DoomRL and Ultra-Violence turned out to be too much of a good thing for me (stupid deaths on level 3 or above), and I still try to beat the game on Hurt Me Plenty. This time everything was quite good despite the harsh beginning - I had a very damaged red armor but Hell Armory blessed me with a power pack and a nano pack after the Shambler was dealt with. With the Power Armor on and crafted guns the game was going more smoothly than expected... until the Mortuary. Only once I had managed to finish this level successfully, out of about ten times... This time I was stupid enough to think that I was ready to face the Mortuary. As you can see on the map, things ended VERY badly. When it all began I warped away using the Hell Staff and managed to kill a couple of viles with my BFG. I ran up to the left wall, shooting enemies who chased me. After refilling my health at lower left stairway, I realized that I had little ammunition left, and the enemies still kept coming. I attempted to grab a power cell at arachnotron's corpse to get enough charge for another BFG shot, but the cell got burned by an arch-vile who came with his guard, consisting of hell knights and hell barons. It was badly hurt, and I tried to use my last rocket on him with a Revenant's Launcher. A failed attempt - the rocket hit a baron in front of it, dealing little damage to the vile. A hellwave pack burned them down with the vile, but more barons, knights and cacodemons were still attacking. I even had to resort to the Super Shotgun, as nuclear plasma has little clip and all other ammo was already used up. With a cateye character this was the sign of his demise, which followed shortly.

The only question still remains, though: WHAT THE HELL DID I FORGET HERE? I already had one of the most powerful armors and I already had enough weaponry to pwn the Cyberdemon or even the big bad. This, I think, will remain a mystery forever, yet I want to see this place again - Simon Volpert composed an awesome track for this level, it suits the place perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:58 by Dreadlord »

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: [H|88%|22|YASD] When things get *VERY* ugly...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 16:06 »

I see you're taking these playthroughs one level at a time... or are you saving up those old files to practice?

Regardless, I'll tell you one problem I see from the mortem... you're carrying too many weapons at once, crowding out a lot of potential ammo space.  Honestly, with a Cateye build I'd advise ditching the shotguns entirely - in your case, the time to pitch shotguns was right around when you made your assault rifle.  The other problem I see is where you are.  While I have less experience with the Mortuary myself, I would advise running to the upper right (nuclear BFG9000, and I believe it's always there).

Mods are fine as they are - I was going to advise modding the BFG9000 into a high-power weapon, to free up mod space to use for ammo space, but that turns it into a one-shot deal, so that's not a good idea.

As for your note on rampant deaths on early floors of UV due to inexperience - don't fret.  I've been here a while and I note that 85% of my playthroughs regardless of difficulty don't get far either.

Not much else I can say, really.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 16:26 by FrostyTheDragon »

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 20:41 »

Yeah, way too many guns. You should've ditched the Combat Shotgun as soon as you got the Assault Shotgun, and that one once you got the Assault Rifle. By the end, you shouldn't have had any of those guns except the Assault Rifle, Hyperblaster, BFG, and either the Super Shotgun or the Revenant's Launcher. (I'd go with the Super Shotgun.) Even that might've been too many, but it's a great improvement over what you had...

Too many unused modpacks, too. It looks like you have about every assembly you could've wanted except the Tactical Boots.

Clearing all that out would've given you more room for ammo and medpacks.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 22:41 »

Yeah, way too many guns. You should've ditched the Combat Shotgun as soon as you got the Assault Shotgun, and that one once you got the Assault Rifle. By the end, you shouldn't have had any of those guns except the Assault Rifle, Hyperblaster, BFG, and either the Super Shotgun or the Revenant's Launcher. (I'd go with the Super Shotgun.) Even that might've been too many, but it's a great improvement over what you had...

I would actually like to add a couple of things here, Thexare.

Judging from the mortem, he picked up his Assault Shotgun right in the Mortuary.  I say this with confidence because the lower left corner is empty of weapons.  In other words, combined with our advice on the matter, he has zero business keeping it, aside from maybe picking it up just to have it say in his player stats that he did (unless that's just based on having the thing be generated?).

Second, on a Cateye game I'd advise against the Super Shotgun, even in his specific case.  Cateye characters have no business being in shotgun range - what happened to Dreadlord here was more the result of the ammo problems cited earlier.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 23:51 »

Bulk mod that nuclear plasma rifle, it would have given you at least another 1-2 shots before it ran out and would need to recharge.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

The Page

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:22 »

This might have been survivable if you had enough ammo for your BFG to wipe the Viles out, but then again the Mortuary is usually a horrific kick in the balls.

Why were you carrying so many guns around though?

Dreadlord

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:16 »

Whoa, so many answers!

Concerning weapons "too many guns" - I never actually thought about this, but that makes a lot more sense this way!

As for mods - I had tough luck with non-unique mods, the game spawned an awful lot of technical mods, while bulk mods could be more useful *cough*BFG*cough*.

The Assault Shotgun was picked up more in desperation than deliberately to use it. Anyway, that didn't help much as we see :)

I have realized some of my BIG mistakes though... Thanks for great advice!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:40 »

It's hard to say based on the mortem, but it looks like you didn't have all that much ammo going into there. If you're seriously pinched for ammunition, DO NOT try The Mortuary (with the obvious exception being MAc), it's just not going to work out very well. If I'm planning on using energy weapons, ideally I'd like both BFGs (with some bulk mods for extra capacity), as well as 4-5 stacks of power cells. If you have a missile launcher, anywhere from 30 to 50 rockets is a good number. Shotguns should come in with 6-8 stacks just in case they can't resupply during the slaughter, chaingunners (although it should be more like a TH'd assault rifle or assault cannon or P3T2) should have 8-10 stacks. If you're actually attempting it with pistols only, have as much as you can afford to carry without becoming too short-changed for healing and enviro.

If you're lucky with positioning or spawns or whatever, you won't actually need all of this ammo, but you should really go into the Mortuary with an overkill perspective in mind. It's way too easy to get swarmed there, so you need to have big guns AND big supplies. Don't worry about the Arch-viles respawning, they won't, so focus-fire them (with explosives if there are a lot of guys around) and it'll take a lot of the pressure off.

Regarding too many weapons, if you find yourself strapped for inventory space, non-vital weapons are often a good option. Sometimes it means you can get rid of all the ammo that goes with it, freeing up even more room for your other ammo types. (As a rule of thumb, it's good to keep rockets and BFGs, but try sticking only to bullets, shells, or cells as your primary. Rapid-fire builds should keep one energy weapon and one bullet weapon just in case either runs out of its ammo.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]