Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gaslamp RTD - Episode I: The Secret Ingredient  (Read 48935 times)

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
Gaslamp RTD - Episode I: The Secret Ingredient
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:06 »

The Secret Ingredient

You have long since passed the point of remembering how you got in the cell. You all have. Numerous cells lined the dark stone hallway; small candles providing barely enough light to see the grate to the cell. Every week, as far as you can tell, a well-dressed man colloquially called the Keeper and his guards come and take some of the other inmates away; soon after they bring in a new batch. And for days all you can hear is endless screaming followed by dead silence broken only by the faint drip of water from down the hall. Strangely you and several others have managed to dodge this fate for weeks now. You suppose this is thanks to the warnings on what is safe to eat when they bring food. No one knows where this knowledge came from but it’s kept you alive for now. Though not everyone gets or follows this advice. Anyone not deemed strong enough or useful was left to the Keeper each week.

While the screaming was certainly disquieting to anyone new, for the senior residents is was a chance to talk without being interrupted by guards.  During your third week the screaming was broken briefly by a muffled cry of surprise from one of the cells further down the hall.

“Marcus? You get another message from our friend down the hall?” One of the men cried softly. A small voice called back after a few moments.

“W-we’re g-g-g-go-ing t-t-tonight…. Tonight!” Marcus stuttered back. A low murmur of excitement flowed through the hall, cut short by the entrance of the guards. THe noise had been just loud enough to grab the guard's attention. Quickly two men started bickering, drawing the guard’s attention. That was their job. The guard wearily made his way over, used to the routine by now.

With the guard taken care of you are left to prepare for tonight’s break. You don’t know much about your mysterious benefactor but whoever he or she is, they’re your only chance out of this hole. You can hear small scraping sounds from the surrounding cells as they dig out their contraband. What have you stored away?

Alright everyone make their introductions along with a name, brief description, and one skill they think would be useful in a Gaslamp Fantasy setting. It would also help if you made an action as well. If anyone wants to join in after we start, send me a PM with your character name, a physical description and a skill/profession your character has.

Spoiler: Advanced Rules (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 14:30 by S.K. Ren »
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaslamp RTD - Episode I: The Secret Ingredient
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:57 »

I have a question. Do we pick any starting equipment?
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:43 »

It'll be random. You'll need to search your surroundings/stash and see what the dice give you. Ill base whatever you find around your skill. And besides even if you get a botched roll you still have your fists and can loot the guards. As you find stuff Ill make an armory spoiler on the first page. Ill also be keeping a character sheet summary at the bottom of each round's report and use the abbr tag to give a short description.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:48 by S.K. Ren »
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 21:20 »

"Finally, I'm sick of this place as it is," Twizmer thought to himself as he snuck deeper into the darkness of his cell, looking for his stash.  In another life Twizmer was one of those dandies: immaculate, dapper, with a wit to match.  But that was a long, long time ago, and he has long since given up trying his wit on the boring guards who did not even bother to pay him any attention.  It was a good thing, really, for those whom the guards engaged, they inadvertently ended up... elsewhere.

Skill: Basic fighting with a walking stick
Action: Searching for stash
I computed, therefore I was.

c0ld3r

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19 »

"Good thing this isn't my first prison break."

Mr. Fletch had spent a fair deal of time in the clink. He'd never had an 'honest' job in is his, preferring shady jobs ranging from cat burglar to hired muscle. He had been beaten by the guards on more than one occasion, not unprovoked beatings mind you, he liked to pass the time by grabbing passing guards and getting in what lumps he could. While typically clear headed, he couldn't remember for the life of him what he had stashed away while he dug out his possessions.

Skill: Modest hand to hand and a propensity for stealth
Action: Searching for stash

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 22:25 »

"If I had to guess, I'd say that's 145 beats per minute. I suppose this old ticker's as ready for escape as it's gonna be." thought Dr. Bonhomme as he took his pulse like he always did at the end of his daily jog-in-place. In all his life, the good doc had only been dedicated to one thing more than fighting his own death, and that was fighting the death of others. "Don't any of you think about dying on me! We're all getting out of this in one piece! Even Fletch over there doesn't deserve this!" shouted Bonhomme to his companions as he dug through the pile of rags where he hid his things.

Skill: Decade of experience as a doctor of medicine and a lifetime of rigorous cardio
Action: Searching for stash and giving motivational speech

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 00:48 »

The Secret Ingredient - Round I, Out with a bang

The whole hallway quickly hushed Dr. Bonhomme as the guards reentered. While the effort was appreciated now was not to time to draw attention. The hours seemed to drag on as feeding hour approached. Twizmer pulled a short length of pipe from behind a loose stone (10). It appeared a previous resident of the cell had placed it there but was taken away before it could be put to use. Mr. Fletch on the other hand had shown much ingenuity in his acquisition of contraband (16). The guards paid little attention to the collected tinware from the mealtime, so a few missing handles from cups or torn edges on plates went unnoticed. With pure strength he had managed to fashion a set of serrated knuckles and a crude lock pick. Dr. Bonhomme meanwhile had managed to have been gifted with a makeshift scalpel (11). While not exactly suited for combat, it could be used in a pinch and is an essential piece in a doctor's repertoire. You also managed to collect bandages from the least dirty clothes the others were willing to sacrifice. The other inmates had likewise achieved varying levels of success in collecting weapons.

A silence unlike any other permeated the hallways as the guards entered to feed the prisoners. As they moved nearer the back, each prisoner braced for whatever their mysterious friend had planned. For a moment all that could be heard was the clank of the heavy door moving. A minute passed when suddenly a raucous explosion sounded from the end of the hall. Everyone backed away from their bars as the form of one of the guards could be seen flying past, riding the front of an iron door. As the ringing subsided, you could make out steps echoing in the hall. From the dust a figure emerged, 6' in height with broad shoulders; clearly male. He had several mechanisms attached to his body, some resembling former restraining devices and others clearly contraptions of his own design. His hands were emitting a small stream of gas. As he passed each cell he pressed his hands to the lock. After a few seconds he snapped his fingers and the lock abruptly exploded, opening the cell.

You step out of the cell for this first time. After calming your excitement you see your savior about to leave. He pauses a moment, and turns to your group. "I realize you may have many questions, but I implore you to leave as quickly as possible. I have business below and will not stand for this place to remain intact longer than need be." With that he disappeared through the doorway.

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)

Ok, you don't need to restate your action after the post. Also you don't need to italicize talking. Its a a free action 99% of the time and just looks silly. If you want to restate you action after the post that fine and we can abandon the italicze/bolding the main post thing. But we need to pick one and stick with it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 14:34 by S.K. Ren »

c0ld3r

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:03 »

"Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting that!" Mr. Fletch cried as surveyed his surroundings. He briefly thought of making a break for the door before thinking the guard might have nice little keyring that would make their escape more than a tad easier. And with that, he jogged down the hall to the where the poor sod landed.

Action: Searching the guard's belt and pockets for keys and other useful items

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 16:13 »

"Who knows how long we'll be on the run? Better grab some of this grub while we're here and Lord knows what you could do with more tinware." Dr. Bonhomme bluntly stated as he hunted down the door's other victims.

Action: Scavenging tinware and what ever food was still intact, portable and most of all, safe.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 06:09 »

"Well that's a strange fellow indeed," Twizmer thought to himself as he saw the others scavenging the remains of the recently deceased.  "Food's probably a good idea."

Action: Scavenging for food and other useful utilities from the bodies.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 13:19 »

The Secret Ingredient - Round II, Cherry pickin'

With a deft hand, Mr. Fletch quickly located a small keyring with three keys(14). One likely belonged to door on top of the guard, and another to the door leading out. Also in the pocket was a small pouch of coins. Quickly stowing them he looked out the door. Just outside the doorway you could make out a large stone spiral staircase. The uniform for the guard was bloody, but mostly intact if you wanted it. Back down the hall Dr. Bonhomme and Twizmer both scavenged as much of the 'safe' food as they could, though there wasn't much aside form the portions they had been given initially (8)(9). There were however plenty of Tinware cups. Dr. Bonhomme managed to string up seven of them on one of the bandages to bring along. The other inmates had long since stripped the other guards of their clothes, though Twizmer was able to land himself a Night Stick.

As you prepare for your exodus a low tremor shakes the hall. It seems that your friend has started something below. Let us just hope he will suffer this place to stand long enough for you to escape.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 14:35 by S.K. Ren »

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 22:32 »

"Ha! You even took the shirt off his back!" Dr. Bonhomme joked as he rejoined Mr. Fletch by the door. "Hey Twizmer, you fancy yourself an actor? The outfit doesn't look too good but there's plenty of natural rouge here to match the costume. Even if they don't buy it, all you need is a distraction." Dr. Bonhomme stated as he removed one of the tinware cups from the string, a grin spreading across his face as he admired his plot.

Action: Preparing a tinware cup to throw and waiting for the rest of the group to act.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:09 »

"I suppose a little disguise wouldn't hurt," Twizmer said as he changed into the guard's clothes.  "I even have a weapon to go with it too!"

Action: Change into the bloody guard uniform, rubbing self with some blood to look hurt and arm self with night stick

c0ld3r

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 22:00 »

"Wherever we go, I don't wanna follow our combustive benefactor into whatever mess he's making down there. I'm gonna take a peek up stairs."

Action: Carefully exploring the stairwell

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 19:18 »

The Secret Ingredient - Round III, A Light in the darkness

The uniform was a little loose but fit convincingly enough. As Twizmer dolled himself up, Dr. Bonhomme seemed to be loosing it a little. First the shouting, then then the clownish smile; It made the other escapees wary of him. Another tremor shook the hall, slightly more powerful than the last. Whatever was happening down below was either moving closer or getting more dangerous.

Scouting upstairs, Mr. Fletch proceeded with caution. The stairwell was just as dark as the hallway was, with only a dim candle every so often. After what felt like several stories, it became noticeable brighter. The staircase leveled off at the floor in the middle of a large open room. Several downward staircases could be seen to the left and right. There is a double doorway on the far side of the room.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 14:35 by S.K. Ren »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6