Chaosforge Forum

• June 16, 2024, 00:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.3 XP] Doomrl occasionally fails to start, and night.monst. missing souns  (Read 2589 times)

Hissatsu

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Greetings

Gah, the topic name isnt long enough :(
I want to report two problems, do not know if they're bugs though or some error on my part.

First of all, and i wasnt able to google anything on the matter, my Doomrl has no sounds for nightmare monsters. Period. Imps, cacodemons, everything nightmare-ish isnt making any shounds except when shooting. This obviously makes it hard to spot them and to know if they're hit, and also, just sucks...

Second, occasionally, like once in 50 launches, DoomRL will complain about something and exit very quick. I wasnt able to copy the log, but it complains about some .pas module not being able to access some sound file.

PS: Also, my friend on another PC (also XP) reports that if he types something with a space into colors.lua file, for example "Berserker pack = CYAN", the game wont start for him, showing ????'s for message. However if i do the same on my PC, game will start all right (just the string itself wont have any effect since there are no item id's with spaces).

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

First of all, and i wasnt able to google anything on the matter, my Doomrl has no sounds for nightmare monsters. Period. Imps, cacodemons, everything nightmare-ish isnt making any shounds except when shooting. This obviously makes it hard to spot them and to know if they're hit, and also, just sucks...
Indeed, they have no sounds. Not sure, but I think that's intentional (to make em sneakier/harder).

Second, occasionally, like once in 50 launches, DoomRL will complain about something and exit very quick. I wasnt able to copy the log, but it complains about some .pas module not being able to access some sound file.
Most likely you can retrieve this error in either error.log or log.txt. See if you can find it and maybe paste it here.

PS: Also, my friend on another PC (also XP) reports that if he types something with a space into colors.lua file, for example "Berserker pack = CYAN", the game wont start for him, showing ????'s for message. However if i do the same on my PC, game will start all right (just the string itself wont have any effect since there are no item id's with spaces).
Well, that's normal, because attribute names in LUA (and pretty much any other scripting/programming language) can't contain spaces. Dunno the names you really gotta use but try berserk_pack or something (some people here know for sure what it is).
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Hissatsu

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply.

Even if they intentionally make no sounds while moving, they could make sounds while being hit or dying at least, to make it feel like they ARE intentionally silent but still are living beings, not bugged letters.

Unfortunately log.txt has the last game's log i think, and there is no error.log, despite me never deleting such file and having numerous time encountering this error on this PC

And about lua, yes i found the item id, but thing is, my computer takes those spaces just fine! Without any error. But his computer refuses to run the game. We both have XP, me SP3, he has SP2. I don't know what can be really that different so it acts like that.

Btw another question - when trying to add lava elemental sounds, my "switch to" sound of nuclear BFG becomes a rocket fire sound (woosh) instead of usual "weapon reload" sound. WHY? I dont understand. It happens when i add this:

-- Lava Elemental

lava_elemental = {
      die         = "sounds/lavae/Death.wav",
      act         = "sounds/lavae/Idle.wav",
      hit         = "sounds/lavae/Wound.wav",
      melee      = "sounds/lavae/Kick.wav",
      fire      = "sounds/lavae/Fire.wav",
   },

How? Why? Really, why adding EXACTLY this make it do EXACTLY that? i tried changing last "," after Fire.wav into ";", no difference... I dont get it, really, how can this ever happen. whats the connection?

PS: It seems that not only lava elemental, but also agony elemental and other edits that are suggested on forum also cause sound anomalies, for example, my character emits "demon dead" sound when being hurt if i add something about shambler, agony elemental or arena master... I have shambler, then agony, then arenamaster defined after the last monster definition. If i remove arenamaster, instead of "demon dead" sound, getting hurt by lava emits "use of medkit" sound. This must be some overflow error or idk...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:13 by Hissatsu »

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

And about lua, yes i found the item id, but thing is, my computer takes those spaces just fine! Without any error. But his computer refuses to run the game. We both have XP, me SP3, he has SP2. I don't know what can be really that different so it acts like that.
o_O
Well, strange, cause it shouldn't take it just fine. It doesn't work for me either. Maybe you used full-width space chars or something? lol.

Addendum: As for the lava elemental sounds thing, maybe it's more helpful if you attach the full edited sound.lua, so people can figure out what you might've screwed up beyond those few lines. :P

EDIT: In any case you should take away any attribute names with spaces even though the game somehow accepts it (berserk pack is "bpack"... rite?). Because the sounds may very well get screwed up because of that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:45 by ParaSait »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

Nightmare variants originally had no sound by accident (simply because Kornel forgot to add them!) although the idea was amusing enough to let stand. You should know when they die because you will see a message at the top indicate that either it specifically has died (in your vision) or that something has died (out of your vision). Hits are troublesome but I haven't ever been killed because of the lack of noise. (Maybe with the new AI they might be hard enough to warrant it, I'm not sure.)

I've had this problem, although it's never been enough of an issue to bring up (since, as you say, there's no error log, and has no bearing on attempting to restart the game). If you want to try and capture the error message, you can start running the game directly from Command Prompt (or some other console emulator) so that the window doesn't close when it crashes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it doesn't sound like a threatening bug in the least. What your friend experiences is typical behavior, and your case still doesn't use the bound colors (since there's nothing it maps to), so it seems pretty harmless to me.

Btw another question - when trying to add lava elemental sounds, my "switch to" sound of nuclear BFG becomes a rocket fire sound (woosh) instead of usual "weapon reload" sound. WHY? I dont understand....PS: It seems that not only lava elemental, but also agony elemental and other edits that are suggested on forum also cause sound anomalies, for example, my character emits "demon dead" sound when being hurt if i add something about shambler, agony elemental or arena master... I have shambler, then agony, then arenamaster defined after the last monster definition. If i remove arenamaster, instead of "demon dead" sound, getting hurt by lava emits "use of medkit" sound. This must be some overflow error or idk...
Based on your unusually-specific observations of things near the end of the game, I'm going to take a guess and say that you had (or still have) a saved game, which you tried to reload after reconfiguring sound.lua. This wreaks havoc on (IIRC) the nid values automatically assigned during the game's startup, as the nid values that the saved game recognizes will be quite different. As a matter of fact, I had the same problem at one point while loading a game for a video, since the saves had been using Inferno mod sounds and I needed to switch back to vanilla settings. So long as you start a fresh game, this problem should go away. (If not, then do like ParaSait said and post your sound.lua so we can have a closer look.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

Based on your unusually-specific observations of things near the end of the game, I'm going to take a guess and say that you had (or still have) a saved game, which you tried to reload after reconfiguring sound.lua. This wreaks havoc on (IIRC) the nid values automatically assigned during the game's startup, as the nid values that the saved game recognizes will be quite different. As a matter of fact, I had the same problem at one point while loading a game for a video, since the saves had been using Inferno mod sounds and I needed to switch back to vanilla settings. So long as you start a fresh game, this problem should go away. (If not, then do like ParaSait said and post your sound.lua so we can have a closer look.)
Ooh, you're right. I totally forgot about that issue. Well yeah, I'm pretty sure it's that (unless the problem pesists).

Hissatsu

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Aah, so my config for sound is perfectly fine, but i must start a new game for it to take proper effect?

PS: It is confirmed, started new game with all those sound.lua lines and all works well! At least this one is through.

As for the space in color.lua - well, whatever, if its wrong, then its wrong and it just means maybe i forgot to save the config when trying or something about game save loading interfered and prevented a crash for me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 23:46 by Hissatsu »
Pages: [1]