Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: XP Ranks 2.0  (Read 1996 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
XP Ranks 2.0
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:38 »

One concept that has been pretty much untouched since 0.9.8.X are XP ranks. Well now that the game has progressed a bit, I have a proposal to make this concept more meaningful.

I think it's a good idea to keep the distinction between XP and Skill rank. Now, the skill ranks are earned through amazing feats of gameplay (badges) while the XP ranks are attained through a lot of gameplay killing various monsters. Now that we have secret medals and assemblies - the reward for experience is revealing information to the player as they gain XP rank. Also this change will normalize the XP rank progression since the vast majority of Veteran's are basically sitting at the Arch-Vile rank.

Enough talk
Here is the proposal:

*The fresh player starts with all medals and assemblies (even basics) hidden from view except for the two most common ones (Hell Champion Medal/UAC Star Bronze & tactical boots)
*Gaining rank reveals medal names and requirements AND assembly names, but not how to make them (the name alone will give players a good clue if they aren't spoiled on the wiki)
*Rank requirements will keep the idea of killing X number of the title monsters and introduce earning X number of any medals and eventually completing the game X number of times

M = Medals
A = Assembly

RANK                        REQS                                                    REWARD                     

Human            N/A                N/A               
Former Human  Kill 50             Reveal 2M & 2A
Imp           Kill 100 Imps / Earn 2 Medals    Reveal 2M & 2A
Demon           Kill 50 Demons (melee) / Earn 5 Medals    Reveal 2M & 2A
Lost Soul     Kill 100 Lost Souls / Earn 10 Medals    Reveal 2M & 2A & Names of 5 Uniques
Hell Knight     Kill 200 HKs / Earn 15 Medals / Win 1 Game   Reveal 3M & 3A
Cacodemon     Kill 50 Cacos (pistol) / Earn 30 Medals    Reveal 3M & 3A & Names of 5 Uniques
Pain Elemental     Kill 500 Lost Souls / Kill 5 Agony Elementals    Reveal 3M & 3A
Revenant     Kill 200 Revenants / Win 3 Games    Reveal 3M & 3A & (All BASIC forumlae revealed, but not earned)
Mancubus     Kill 50 Mancs (Melee) / 75 Medals / 5 Games    Reveal 3M & 3A & Names of 5 Uniques
Arachnotron     Kill 500 Arachs / 125 Medals    Reveal 4M & 4A
Hell Baron     Kill 1000 Barons / 15 Games    Reveal 4M & 4A
Arch-Vile     Kill 1000 Viles / 200 Medals / 25 Games    Reveal 4M & 4A & All ADV Formulae
Shambler     Kill 50 Shamblers / 300 Medals / 50 Games    Reveal 4M & 4A
Cyberdemon     Kill 100 Cybies  Reveal More stuff

...and the secret ranks that exist beyond this.
I didn't really count the numbers of assemblies or unique medals but scaling the concept is pretty easy.

EDIT: I thought about the idea of having "secret" ranks that you can attain and elect to have in your mortem title rather than a linear progression. These secret ranks would be the boss enemies like Bruisers or Arena Master that you can 'discover' by say killing the AM 50 times in melee. I couldn't think of an exact way to implement it - but it is something to think about

Definitely open to different possibilities here.
Let's talk!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:41 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
Re: XP Ranks 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:39 »

I like the idea of it, but I think the early ranks (Human up to Cacodemon) should give you less things.
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!
Pages: [1]