Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Extended Gameplay (Champion Challenges)  (Read 13207 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Extended Gameplay (Champion Challenges)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13 »

Ultimate Masochist -- AoB Painfest :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:03 »

Archangel of Shotgunnery

What, you don't believe that your trusty shotty can save you?!
No armor allowed.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

Chronos

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 03:44 »

Archangel of Impatience

Doomrl is too long! No time to carry all those medkits, phase devices and armors, you use them immediately at pickup!

In addition to AoI rules, armors are treated as power ups. They can't be removed or modded, and are applied only effects and durability of the last armor picked up.
Arch-Vile Major (0.9.9.6G) [26/21/13/1/0]

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 23:45 »

Archangel of Impatience

Doomrl is too long! No time to carry all those medkits, phase devices and armors, you use them immediately at pickup!

In addition to AoI rules, armors are treated as power ups. They can't be removed or modded, and are applied only effects and durability of the last armor picked up.

simpler way - whenever you pick up armour, drop your current armour and equip the new one.  If you can't drop the armour (Cybernetic etc.), don't pick up the new one.
for true insanity, the same rule applies for weapons... perhaps that is too much, might force melee builds.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37 »

Archangel of Shotgunnery

What, you don't believe that your trusty shotty can save you?!
No armor allowed.

But just to help you out a bit, marines and techies start with TaN, while scouts start with Ironman.
At first it's a nice bonus, but it's hardly a substitute for the resistances of the more interesting armors.

Perhaps even a 1.5x boost to the items spawned, and just to be nasty, 40% of those should be armor. Whilst most else is just shell(boxe)s. ;)

BERSERK - Armor slows your movements down too much for melee combat. Armor and Boots slots are locked.
Well, that's just stupid. Armor, yes. But boots, that's not armor!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:46 by Bloax »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 12:42 »

And I suppose you could run at full speed while wearing metal boots?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 02:00 »

I doubt that they're just solid metal boots.
Also:
Code: [Select]
Move Speed | +0% All of the basic armors slow down, but none of the boots do. Not to mention that boots really don't provide any real protection a berserker would need.
A 10% boost to speed really wouldn't hurt either. Because honestly, no armor is nasty as-is already. No point in messing up running through acid/lava.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 12:37 »

I'm not trying to make light of any of these recent suggestions, but I'm hoping for Archangel challenges to be vastly different from the typical restrictions that are applied in Angels. See my previous post for examples of this. Changing around stats and equipment restrictions are fun and all, but consider these kinds of changes:

• Restrictions on certain commands (ex: 'wait', 'look', 'drop')
  • Different stats on enemies (ex: Everything dealing plasma damage, blast radii doubled, everyone picks up and uses items (or comes with their own))
  • Changes in level-ups (ex: basic traits can lock out other basic traits)
  • Visual additions or removals (ex: all enemies look the same, attack messages removed, no tracking of HP)
  • Rearrangement of special levels (ex: Hell's Arena for every red stairs and gets progressively harder each time you enter)

There are many possibilities that aren't too far-reaching: I suggest that you use the sky as the limit when it comes to creativity for Archangels.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 13:37 »

AAoB - you completely lose yourself when berserking - aside from previous idea about "fresh meat@ signs you also don't get any map or item memory.

AAoI - no time to slack off, you need to kill now! After 15 seconds of not attacking enemy(which you see, corner-shooting does not work), or descending to lvl you start to lose health.If you are berserked you lose twice as much.You still lose hp even if invulnerable(it's not external damage, it's your mind problem).Applies after first kill/hit from enemy.On the other hand you can run longer(twice as normal mb).
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 15:30 »

Archangel of Berserk:

You start with a DragonSlayer and a Berseker Armor automatically, but... let us just say that it is no mere Hell you are wandering into, you are there to slay the God Hand, and by all that is holy, that ain't gonna be easy. Apostoles, their endless spawn, ranks of enemies that seem to stretch out into infinity...

Not like they can stop you.

Nothing can.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 21:30 »

AAoS: You start with the DB and 50 shells. The DB is the only weapon you may use. You may not take master-traits or make any assemblies. You do start out with WK(1) to compensate, allowing you to turn your only gun into a death-dealing boom-stick.

Not too unconventional I know, but with only the DB's short range and no master-traits (or FDB) to help out, it should be quite a challenge to get through an UV or harder style game with it.

"The only good shotgun is a big shotgun. And you only use the biggest, the almighty double-barrel. You can't take any master-traits (those are for pussies) and can't make any assemblies (custom boom-sticks and threads only) but you do start with Whizzkid to help you make the daemon-broom of your dreams. It's time to clean-up hell, two shells at a time."

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 22:09 »

A bit convoluted and overelaborate, I think, but this one should serve nicely to make AoPc even more painful...

Archangel of Pacifism:

You hate violence, you hate death, and were it not for necessity you'd have never taken this mission. Your saintly devotion to nonviolence has attracted attention, and not the kind you want: any demon would take pride in striking you down, and they'll hunt you relentlessly. Your former comrades weren't quite so easily swayed, but you still can't even raise your arms in defense against them. Worse, every death, even of demons, takes its toll on you, and even if you're never hit once, you may not make it through this...

All demons (all enemies except Formers and possibly the Angel of Death, though that depends on the DoomRL definition) are in Hunting mode. Former Humans (all variants) have the equivalent of SoBx2; your lack of defensive maneuvers against them means they'll hit you that much harder.

Every enemy that dies within LoS causes 1 damage to the player, 2 if over max health. Additionally, if an enemy dies by gibbing, the last action you took (open/close door, look, use of a specific item, equipping of a certain type of armor) is locked for two minutes game-time (120 steps without movespeed changes), and you take an additional one damage from every attack due to the mental scarring.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 23:40 »

Just as a test of my AAoS suggestion, here's a couple of save scums. I know it's bordering on "against the site philosophy", but it will give people an idea of the challenge without having to mess around for a couple of levels.

The rules:
#1. You must only use the DB and only THAT DB shotgun.
#2. No master traits or assemblies allowed.
#3. Have fun.

Both saves are just after the Arena on UV AoS (for the DB). I've gone for shottyman first, and you start with a little equipment (too much IMO). The first save is a technician, nearing a level up, so grab Whizzkid and try the challenge as it's intended. The second one is a marine, with BA instead, which will probably make it too easy.

Just remove everything after the word "save" in the filename and dump them in the doomRL directory. A new copy preferably, so you don't sully your player record with evil savescums.

So, way too easy? Way too hard? Way too lame (or not nearly off-the-wall enough for an AA challenege)?

Here's the files. Remember the rules.

EDIT:

After playing around a little with it myself (sounds freaky I know), I've come to the conclusion that it's too bland. Not enough extra fun for an Archangel of * mission. Hard, or rather, very easy at the start, and then very middling in the middle. Pretty damn hard near the end. Most of it is about not getting too far ahead of yourself, not getting too cocky, not going on a rampage. Play with caution most of the time and run hard when you need to. A little too much like AoB, with a reverse scaling (easy->moderately hard compared to hard->moderately hard).

So some more ideas for Archangel of Shotgun. Only a DB still, but you can't use shell boxes. Your shotgun takes two hands to weild. Give cybie a power modded combat shotty and 500 shells, for a weird blastx5/reload/blast dance, constant damage for you at the end. No nukes, Archangels kill in person - not with big, red button. Combat knife on a shotty. This is going to be the biggest god-damned shotty of all, its got a f'ing big blade on the end too (unassemble-able combat knives just reduce a little barrel-item-loss and make it into the shotty beyond all shotties. Gives a reason for brute builds or agility mods on the shotty, bulk still does reload time, power does shot damage. Or both melee/shotty damage for fun).

One player class: AAoSh. Normal stats, UV hardness, dungeon level+5 (no phobos base or arena but maybe a court on lvl1). Starts with an Angel's DB shotgun (takes 3 mods standard, WK still adds 2 to mod limit, max limit 3 per mod type), with normal DB shotgun damage/range/drop-off/fire-time, can melee with it for combat knife damage. Ag mods add to melee accuracy by +2. Gun takes two hands (no prepared slot). Can only use this weapon.

Trait changes:
SoaB: You can deal it, but can you take it? Every 12 damage you take adds +1d3 to your shotgun's damage for the next 5 secs.

EE: If you can see them, by god they'll die. Each level reduces drop-off by 1%.

Int: See no evil. Int(1) is normal. Int(2) gives entire wall layout but no enemy positioning.

Triggerhappy: Renamed as "Face Shot". Each level reduces the enemies natural armour by 1.

Meh, still some work to do and math-sy thinking. It might just work...... Try the trial idea......
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:55 by Sambojin »
Pages: 1 [2]  All