Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 21:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combine challenges?  (Read 2946 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
Combine challenges?
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:13 »

Was hoping that maybe in te future there would be a way to combine challenge modes? I think this would add even more replayability to the game and add mare challenge for the veteran skill players ( I'm only mediocre btw ) which there seems to be quite a few now.

For instance, I'm sure Angel of 100 would be extra fun combined with any other challenge (except angel of haste maybe). Angel of Berserk and angel of humanity would be extra challenging for sure. Angel of Darkness and Angel of Marksmanship sounds kinda fun. Angel of max carnage and angel of berserk sounds gruesome. Angel of red alert combined with angel of darkness seems like it would be extra challenging.

It could be made as an unlockable feature most likely. Hopefully not gold/platinum/diamond hard to unlock. :P

It could also have it's own set of badges/medals for completing or achieving certain goals while playing a specific combination of challenges.

On a semi-related note, there doesn't seem to be that much difference between angel of berserk and angel of pacifism.

Anyways, I think it would be a cool feature if possible and I'm sure the veteran skilled players would most likely enjoy the extra challenge.   
-Legend

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
Re: Combine challenges?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:27 »

On a semi-related note, there doesn't seem to be that much difference between angel of berserk and angel of pacifism.

... What.

I'm sure one-word posts are frowned-upon around here, but What.

(Also, AoHu+AoPc would almost certainly be the hardest pairing of two)
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:47 »

... What.

I'm sure one-word posts are frowned-upon around here, but What.

First, I haven't gotten sergeant major rank yet so I haven't actually played angel of pacifism yet. But to my understanding, it means you can't use weapons. Isn't that the same as angel of berserk minus the berserk bonus's?
-Legend

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:09 »

ah, Pacifism means you can't attack at all.  you gain levelups sometimes when going down stairs (every third level, plus special levels on those floors).
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:58 »

ah, Pacifism means you can't attack at all.  you gain levelups sometimes when going down stairs (every third level, plus special levels on those floors).

Ah. ok I get it now. Sorry. I still have one more silver to unlock before I can actually get to play Angel of Pacifism. Got arena and technician silver. Tying to go for reaper silver by playing angel of haste. That and berserker silver are my best chances I think. For my skill level anyways. Still never one a game in since I discovered it in 2008.

Anyways, on topic. I forgot to mention that maybe you shouldn't be able to gain the regular badges by combining challenges since it actually might make some of them easier. Like playing angel of berserk with angel of haste would probably make getting the berserker silver badge much easier.
-Legend

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:06 »

As far as I know, mix and match challenge mode has been suggested several times and has always been shot down.

Suffice to say, if it is a possible or planned feature, we will probably be told when.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11 »

Kornel has always said that this kind of change to the game is to be reserved for DRL2. What we will likely see in that game, in the place of all the challenges, is a number of options that imitate the various challenge modes: some being exclusive to each other (AoMr/AoB/AoSg/AoPc, for example) while the rest can be combined as much as you want. These options, along with difficulty (and maybe other things?) will affect score, so N! might give x4 score, but N! AoMr AoMs might give x20 score just because it's soooooo ridiculous.

tl;dr: Not in this game but the next.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]