Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 15:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.4 winxp] Angel of haste not showing proper level numbers or music  (Read 2998 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

Just played an Angel of Haste game and I noticed that it was not showing the proper level numbers on the bottom right of the screen. I assume it actually was skipping the odd levels since I didn't start on the base level, but the level numbers on screen went from 1 to 7 which is how far I got. I assume I was actually on level 14 though since the level before had an entrance to the halls of carnage.

Another thing is that the music didn't seem to play properly. The music tracks played in sequential order from 1 to 7 instead of skipping every other track as expected.

***edit***

Just played again and made it to level 16 and I noticed that it said phobos hell level 1 in the bottom right when I died which I guess is correct, but in the mortem, it said I died on phobos base level 8. Also,  the music plays in the sequential order from level 2 on up instead of skipping every other track, but level 1 plays a different track. Not sure which one yet.

[thelaptop: fixed the title to reflect correct version number]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 22:05 by thelaptop »
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/

Both are intended actually...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

Both are intended actually...

Really?

Why?

No offense, but it doesn't really make sense to me why it would be intended that way. If I was skipping every other level I would expect it to display the level correctly. As it is, if it says I'm on level 6, I have to figure I'm actually on level 12. And if it says I'm on phobos hell level 2, now I have to figure I'm actually on phobos hell level 3/level 18. Kinda annoying in my opinion.
-Legend

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

Judging from this and some other posts, you must be new to challenge games. :P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

Just to clarify, here is the description of Angel of Haste:
Code: [Select]
DoomRL is too long, you want to fight
your way through, as fast as possible.
Half as many levels, twice the danger
increase.
This doesn't frame the game in terms of skipping levels (which is technically an accurate description), but rather in terms of a sequential set of levels 1-12 that are each "twice as hard" as the normal levels. Here, "twice as hard" means as hard as what would normally occur at twice that depth. It was a conscious design choice to base the special levels on this doubled depth so they would all have a chance to appear in the abbreviated game.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

He's probably concerned in a way similar to the description I wrote on the wiki:

"Every odd-floored level is skipped. (This affects special level generation.)"

The purpose of the wiki IS to be as technically accurate as possible. At the same time, I was looking for the briefest way to explain the Angel of Haste to a person who wants to understand how it works. However, the game is adjusted on a visceral level so that it still seems like a natural progression (that is, without literally removing the odd-floored level), and so the result is what you see. I think if AoHa kept everything intact to that extent, it would probably be more confusing to players who don't necessarily understand its framework.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

Judging from this and some other posts, you must be new to challenge games. :P

Come on dude. That's hardly helpful/constructive. Or true. Been playing for years but am a casual player and don't get to play that much. I have played angel of haste before and usually play a challenge game when I do play. I only just now noticed the level names with angel of haste.

Tehtmi and Game Hunters explanations on the other hand were very helpful in clearing it up. From the in game text and the wiki description, I don't really see how anyone would know it worked that way unless they were familiar with the inner most workings of the game.

I do assume that when I died it said I was on phobos hell level 1 but the mortem said I died on phobos base level 8 is a bug. No way that is intentional.

When it says that it effects special level generation, I assume that means that any levels that only spawn on the odd levels won't appear? So the Mortuary for instance should still appear if it spawns on level 22 (or level 11 in this case)?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 14:19 by Brewtal Legend »
-Legend

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

When it says that it effects special level generation, I assume that means that any levels that only spawn on the odd levels won't appear? So the Mortuary for instance should still appear if it spawns on level 22 (or level 11 in this case)?
That's sort of a guess on my part. I noticed when playing AoHa that some levels that are supposed to be guaranteed could potentially not show up, which could easily be a result of the game rolling that level to be on one of the odd-floored maps that was omitted after special floor generation. Lava Pits also never appears and, since it's on dlvl23, it helped me come to this conclusion. By this logic, however, UC should always be on dlvl8 and Mort should always be on dlvl11, so that's worth checking.

I'm sure someone with ACTUAL knowledge of the game's innermost workings could tell you for sure though.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile

I noticed that the music for the first level is always randomly chosen when ever I play angel of haste but all the others go in the same order. Does this mean there is a way to randomize the music chosen for each level in general?
-Legend

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

Special levels for AoH work exactly as if the levels were rolled normally and then all the odd floors were skipped.

If a music binding is undefined (as for "level1"), the game randomly chooses from the songs loaded for "level2" through "level24". This was implemented to give music for later Ao100 levels and is not well-suited for making every level random.

I do assume that when I died it said I was on phobos hell level 1 but the mortem said I died on phobos base level 8 is a bug. No way that is intentional.

Well, maybe so, but this has nothing to do with AoH. The mortem always says Phobos Base for normal levels, even for 16-24 in a standard game.
Pages: [1]