Chaosforge Forum

• May 09, 2024, 10:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Introduction and assembly question.  (Read 2249 times)

bgrunge

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Introduction and assembly question.
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:42 »

Hi, new to the forum, so I'd like to introduce myself and ask a noob question. I've been playing Nethack since around 1987 (back when it was just Hack), and have recently got into DoomRL, which I really like, so I'm joining the community here.

Regarding assemblies:

According to the description in the manual, weapons have two mod slots by default, and armor has one, correct? I take this to mean that I can install two mods on a weapon, and one on an armor without having whizkid. Whizkid states that it adds 2 and 1 slots to weapons and armor, respectively, so I understand that each rank of whizkid increases the slots to 4 and 2, and 6 and 3.

However, I cannot install two mods on a weapon without whizkid; even with max whizkid, I couldnt install 2 agility mods on boots (to try to make gravity boots). I am completely confused as to how assemblies and whizkid works. Could somebody help me and explain?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction and assembly question.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 13:27 »

Weapons have one mod slot base only (and thus whizkid increases it to 3 and 5 mods total) - the only exception happens with basic assemblies: you can put these together even if you'd normally be limited to one mod per item. So by example if you'd mod your armor with P(ower mod) then you could add another P for purposes of activating an assembly (and only assembly) even without whizkid, but not any other mod because there aren't assemblies for these (or at least weren't andy in current stable I believe, might be different in beta due to new content)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

bgrunge

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 13:37 »

Ok, thank you very much. That clears up quite a bit; I also assume then that to make gravity boots the order of assembly would have to be A-N-A or N-A-A but not A-A-N, is this correct? (because of the normal limit of one mod of each type per armor, that gets overridden by assembly)

General Patton

• Plays too much DoomRL
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • That's one doomed space marine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 13:50 »

Correct. Also, keep in mind that with certain assemblies (seems to be ones that can use more than one piece of equipment) the mod you use to complete it will not apply its normal effect. For example, high power weapon: using power and then bulk will increase dice sides by 1 and then increase it by 2 while halfing clip size. Whereas, bulk and then power will increase clip size by X% and then increase dice sides by 2 and half the increased clip size.
Pages: [1]