Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 0.9.9.4 Inital thoughts. Add your own. Plus your own pwnage etc....  (Read 12851 times)

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I've found out that I'm the slowest player on earth. Or Scout class makes me think. Or I'm hungover already.

Scout +Int(1) at level doesn't seem to be squat. Int(2) at level 2 is scarily good. Everything's a pseudo-shotty build just due to accurate "scouting". Fits really. A tactical (or even combat) shotgun just makes it stupid. Horde shells. horde good shotty mods, Boom!, hope. Profit?

Marine Badass at level (1) isn't quite so psycho, even at level 4-6. But being able to think "I reckon my Doomguy could use twice as much life right now", at any level, is seriously hard. Really, really hard. Plus you start with essentially Ironman(1) and huge power-ups. 50% berserker P/U's or invulnerablilties sounds even more than "one level" ending sometimes. Just spooge on some extra life on your next level-up. Very, very good.

Haven't Technician'd it yet properly. Instant whizzkid just seems to be a great little mod dump though. A couple of levels in to your build, just mod up whatever crap you want, be it a master-trait build or not. Much testing to be done. Instant-ish medipacks sound great too. Big armour and weapons and quick life gain. Much testing.......

I'd have to say that the scout seems the most powerful in early game (Int->Int->Fin->Jug or Fin->Jug->Int->Int is bloody amazing) but more playtime will probably change my mind a lot on that.

From mucking around with Int(2) scouts, it seems like the monster AI is, if anything, less agressive. Way more play-time needed, but watching things walk-in and walk-out of your vision, without firing a shot is somewhat strange. Big purple monsters, yayyyy, run-away-got-blasted-into-goo-due-to-AI-rather-than-bullet-magnetizing-me monsters, not so good.

More initial thoughts soonish.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:27 by Sambojin »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF

I still think rivers are too common. I hoped for some less rivers in 0.9.9.4, but they're still basically everywhere. It's also kinda ridiculous that rivers stream like straight thru the base. :P Their presence makes more sense in towns and caves etc. But okay, I guess that's not really a 0.9.9.4 specific thing.
Other than that... it's a freaking great release. Feels really balanced too. I originally thought the class system and resistance stuff would turn out bad... but KK never ceases to amaze me.

(well okay... there was this one release where armor was equivalent to cardboard... that was one time that KK deeply disappointed me... but eh. :P)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:37 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

GrimmC

Resistance system is *awesome*, I thought it was going to be an necessary complication but it turns out to be perfect. Now we actually have a chance not being utterly toasted by Viles even without Fireangel. :P How about that.

Making the Shotgun less sucky and putting the Combat Shotty off to dlevel 6 was also a stroke of genius. Totally changes the way the early game plays out, actually gives the opportunity for genuine strats instead of Combat Shotty > all. Awesome.

Seems to be some new enemy placements with monster packs? Makes DoomRL much closer to the source game. I dig it.

Picked up a new pair of unique boots which helped out with lava quite a bit. Of course, I managed to get insta-gibbed while wandering down a lava river. (And that's the third time that happened, too.) Sigh...

Less rivers is also a bonus.

Finally, the obvious: Player classes worked out awesomely. Tailoring base stats towards certain traits makes them much more useful. Now I feel like I actually have a chance with passive defense. (Thanks, Marine class!) Since only the masters are linked, it just requires slightly more planning--but now the trait paths are much more versatile/sensible. (I had been worried basic/intermediate traits would be all messed up.) I'd still like to see classless, just to encourage generalist runs, but it can wait.

On the whole, a tremendous release. Excellent work.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

My current favourite build is a Marine with Fin->Jug->Bad->.....

It's immensely powerful early on. The combo of juggler and 240% max life (compared to a normal doomguy) by your second level-up is amazing. You start a wee bit quicker, then shotgun/chaingun juggle your way through the arena, then grab your RL/supercharge and you're good to go. By level 3 you're a powerhouse of damage potential and damage resistance. Two shotgun blasts are exactly what it takes for almost all formers to die, and you can just grab all life-ups whenever you please. It saves you a hell of a lot of medikits early on and will always give you a good run into mid-game. The chained court becomes incredibly easy with +50% power-up length as well. Kind of a "never-die-early" build. Still leaves a lot of options for modding or a weapon specific build afterwards.

Has anyone else got some comments on early-game builds or even thoughts on the new master-traits in combination with player classes?

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Entrenchment seems to be a wee bit underpowered - both because it blocks reloader and forces you to take TH, but also because +30% to all resistances is a bit low. Compare it to Malicious Blades, where you get +50% to bullet, shrapnel and FIRE, of all things, just for carrying a certain item in the prepped slot. True, it leaves you with no protection against plasma, but you certainly don't want to get hit by plasma anyway.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 00:17 by Midnight »

Aoi

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

As silly as it is, one of my first notable reactions occurred when looking at the traits screen for Techs:

Malicious Blades
You can attack with a blade in every hand at the same time...

"Do we get to have more than two hands now?!"

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile

Compare it to Malicious Blades, where you get +50% to bullet, shrapnel and FIRE, of all things, just for carrying a certain item in the prepped slot.

And no ability to berserk on hit or damage, losing out on extra 75% resist-all time.

Entrenchment is probably all right, and it goes even better with basic Whizkid or a little drop luck. If, that is, 100% resistance means immunity.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile

And no ability to berserk on hit or damage, losing out on extra 75% resist-all time.
60%, it got a slight nerf.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Kristopher

• Supporter
  • Private FC
  • Kitkat
    • View Profile

Entrenchment is probably all right, and it goes even better with basic Whizkid or a little drop luck. If, that is, 100% resistance means immunity.

It doesn't; I have had over 100% resistance to bullets and shrapnel due to entrenchment and armor before, and it seemed that enemies would still deal 1 damage (I don't think anything with those damage types dealt more than 1, though) to me with each attack.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

It doesn't; I have had over 100% resistance to bullets and shrapnel due to entrenchment and armor before, and it seemed that enemies would still deal 1 damage (I don't think anything with those damage types dealt more than 1, though) to me with each attack.

Indeed, resistances are capped at 95% (except in cases where e.g. armor or boots gives you 100% all by itself). This is enough to make everything do 1 (or very rarely 2) damage.

GrimmC

Re: 0.9.9.4 Inital thoughts. Add your own. Plus your own pwnage etc....
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 18:57 »

Actually, I find Malicious Knives to be quite nice. Since Berserk has been dropped to 60%, you have just 10% less than Berserk--ALL the time. Plus 75% at melee means monsters are basically pacified once you get up close (which is the only way you can kill them anyway). And again, since Berserk has been nerfed slightly, that means you're actually doing better than the other two Master traits at that point.

Throw in some E-Z to assemble fireproof armor and Revenants & Mancubi will be doing a pathetic 2 damage per hit. The only problem is Archviles....why do they have to do plasma damage??!!!! Here I thought my fireproofing was going to make me invincible...

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:30 »

Very disappointed that scavenger doesn't prioritize the disassembling of higher quality mods over lessers. I.e. A basic mod is just as likely to be returned from a dissassmbled weapon as a unique mod if it has one of each.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16 »

Actually, I find Malicious Knives to be quite nice. Since Berserk has been dropped to 60%, you have just 10% less than Berserk--ALL the time. Plus 75% at melee means monsters are basically pacified once you get up close (which is the only way you can kill them anyway). And again, since Berserk has been nerfed slightly, that means you're actually doing better than the other two Master traits at that point.

Throw in some E-Z to assemble fireproof armor and Revenants & Mancubi will be doing a pathetic 2 damage per hit. The only problem is Archviles....why do they have to do plasma damage??!!!! Here I thought my fireproofing was going to make me invincible...

Which is why you assemble Cerberus armor instead of fireproof armor!
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07 »

I'm not sure I like the class system. I liked the generic Doom marine that could have any master trait. Also, how does the speed-based class not having Fireangel make sense?

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 07:16 »

Because avoiding splash damage doesn't really have anything to do with being speedy, and the speed-based class gets a master trait that makes him actually do something faster.

I think of the Technician as someone able to fashion some additional protection or use his armor in a way other people can't.

What's not to like about the class system? Different Doomguys get different useful bonuses, and there's even more traits and possible builds now.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: [1] 2  All