Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Modding Tutorial (WIP)  (Read 13349 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Modding Tutorial (WIP)
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:32 »

To be honest, I'm not sure of the best place to put this, but it will hopefully receive appropriate attention here.

I've been working on a series of tutorial pages on the wiki for people wanting to mod but aren't really sure how to get started. It's a work-in-progress and only a few tutorials have been created so far, but there should be more than enough to begin creating your own work. At the moment, I'm looking both for suggestions on what kinds of tutorials should be written for this series and anything that's hard to understand in the tutorials already added. This isn't explicitly a how-to thread, but I'm fine with people straight-up asking things that they don't know how to do: either I or one of the other, more experienced, modders will give you an answer at some point. Eventually a FAQ will be added to the tutorial series and will address the more common misunderstandings sent here.

If you have the time and are interested in modding, please take a look at what's already there and reply. Feedback is practically mandatory if these tutorials are to be any good. (If you want to see the current documentation that is often referenced in these tutorials, use this link instead.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Modding Tutorial (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:24 »

I'm just bumping this thread so people remember that these exist.

There are a few other tutorials since I wrote the original post. In addition, please note that the tutorials are not currently updated for version 0.9.9.5, so there's a good chance that there is some misinformation in them. If you find any problems with the tutorials regarding this sort of problem, feel free to reply and let me know. I will try to get them updated within a week or so.

Additionally, what was said in the OP still applies: if you have any questions regarding the tutorial series or modding problems/questions in general, this is probably the best place to start collecting them.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33 »

Hi, I've been looking over the modding tutorials because I'm thinking of doing some modding.  I'm still very much a newbie at it, but I have a bit of experience in programming from a high school course I took years ago, so I think, with some practice, I could create some interesting designs.  :)

These tutorials have been helpful in getting me started, but I think, right now, I would get a lot of benefit from taking an existing Doom level and just playing around with it to figure out how to do stuff and also figure out what I *can* do.  I tried downloading the Hell's Arena and Infinite Arena maps cited in the tutorial, but both of them crash when I tried running them.  :(  I suspect it has to do with the fact that I'm running them in version 0.9.9.6 and they're designed for 0.9.9.4, because when I copied them over to that version, they worked fine.  So, now, I'm wondering how much of these tutorials I can trust to be up to date.  I know that at least *some* of it works, because when I copy/pasted the design for the basic map, it worked fine for 0.9.9.6.

So, I guess my question is what's the next step for me in learning how to make mods for 0.9.9.6?
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:04 »

...but both of them crash when I tried running them.  :(

What's the message you get when they crash? I've been crashing with them too, and I don't know why.
Use power for power.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:04 »

The irc channel would be a great place to get answers to modding questions.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20 »

There were only a couple of issues with each mod, so I revised them and posted the new stuff. Links are also there, but only for source code (not that having WADs matters all that much anyway).

If you're still finding problems, please let me know and post any error information.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 14:25 »

Thanks, Game Hunter!  :)

I re-downloaded them and gave Hell's Arena a whirl and it worked fine up until the end where it failed to display the mortem and gave this message:  (After winning all three rounds at ITYTD)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The irc channel would be a great place to get answers to modding questions.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have to go to a family Easter dinner now and I'm already late, but I'll probably drop by IRC another time.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 22:39 »

Just tried the inf-arena, and things were going great till i decided to quit at round 15.  I got some error about allkill or something like that, and the game crashed when I used the stairs.  Can't find an error log though or i'd post it.
Over and Out!

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 00:45 »

Just tried the inf-arena, and things were going great till i decided to quit at round 15.  I got some error about allkill or something like that, and the game crashed when I used the stairs.  Can't find an error log though or i'd post it.
I re-downloaded them and gave Hell's Arena a whirl and it worked fine up until the end where it failed to display the mortem and gave this message:  (After winning all three rounds at ITYTD)

This code in main.lua:
Code: [Select]
function arena.OnMortem()
    local kill = player.killedby                 --calls kill descriptions from beings
    if arena.result then kill = arena.result end
        player:mortem_print( " "..player.name..", level "..player.explevel.." "
                             .." "..klasses[player.klass].name..", "..kill )
        --e.g., "Cool Guy, level 1 Marine, fled alive the trials at wave 3"
        player:mortem_print(" in the Hell Arena...")
end

Should be this:
Code: [Select]
function arena.OnPrintMortem(killedby)
    if arena.result then killedby = arena.result end
        player:mortem_print( " "..player.name..", level "..player.explevel.." "
                             .." "..klasses[player.klass].name..", "..killedby )
        --e.g., "Cool Guy, level 1 Marine, fled alive the trials at wave 3"
        player:mortem_print(" in the Hell Arena...")
end
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12 »

To be honest, I'm not sure of the best place to put this, but it will hopefully receive appropriate attention here.

I've been working on a series of tutorial pages on the wiki for people wanting to mod but aren't really sure how to get started. It's a work-in-progress and only a few tutorials have been created so far, but there should be more than enough to begin creating your own work. At the moment, I'm looking both for suggestions on what kinds of tutorials should be written for this series and anything that's hard to understand in the tutorials already added. This isn't explicitly a how-to thread, but I'm fine with people straight-up asking things that they don't know how to do: either I or one of the other, more experienced, modders will give you an answer at some point. Eventually a FAQ will be added to the tutorial series and will address the more common misunderstandings sent here.

If you have the time and are interested in modding, please take a look at what's already there and reply. Feedback is practically mandatory if these tutorials are to be any good. (If you want to see the current documentation that is often referenced in these tutorials, use this link instead.)

Hey, I would like an overall tutorial on ALL of your DoomRL experience and tricks, so I can learn off of it.
Also, I would like some tuts on a couple of the challenges, especially AoB and AoSh.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 13:04 »

Hey, I would like an overall tutorial on ALL of your DoomRL experience and tricks, so I can learn off of it.
Also, I would like some tuts on a couple of the challenges, especially AoB and AoSh.
This sounds like you want gameplay tutorials, not modding ones. Discussion of gameplay tutorials should be placed in this thread, specifically if you're looking for video tutorials. If you prefer such information in a readable format, you can find written advice all over this forum, especially in the Post Mortem area.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:14 »

Oh, yeah.

For modding tutorials, I would like a tutorial on how to make a special level, as well as a complete tutorial on making an enemy.

I also would like a "cheat sheet" with all of the objects in DoomRL listed with their id's (you know, small med pack=smed, jackhammer=ujack, et. cetera)

If you could post a multilevel example online, and then break it down for us, that would be GREAT!

Thanks!
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 20:21 »

I also would like a "cheat sheet" with all of the objects in DoomRL listed with their id's (you know, small med pack=smed, jackhammer=ujack, et. cetera)

You will like this page.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57 »

You will like this page.

Thanks!

Now, do I just go off of the modding tutorial on the wiki, because I want to do an episode, not a single level.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 13:59 »

Now, do I just go off of the modding tutorial on the wiki, because I want to do an episode, not a single level.
I created an tutorial on how to build episodes, which can be found here. The basic idea behind episodic modules is that you chain together a bunch of levels, either through the generator functions or specially-crafted by yourself. I would suggest looking at the single-level tutorials on how to build up the special levels.

Pages: [1] 2  All