Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL related Blue Screen of Death  (Read 1220 times)

Ampersand

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
DoomRL related Blue Screen of Death
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:54 »

I've got a real head-scratcher here. My problem is characterized by a couple of odd things. First, when I download the DoomRL zip from the website, Firefox, or whatever browser I use to download it, acts as if it can't tell how large the file is while downloading. I've got no idea if that is related to what happens next.

Then, I unzip the game folder anywhere on my computer. The second I try to open the game folder out of the zip, my computer instantly crashes to the Blue Screen with the error, 'Page Fault in Nonpaged Area'. I do not have to try to use any of the game's files or it's executable, all that is required is to open the game folder itself for the crash to fire. My computer runs perfectly stable, without any such crashes, except when I have this folder extracted. It is completely beyond my ability to comprehend why this happens.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL related Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:46 »

The fact that firefox can't tell the size of the file might be perfectly normal - I'm not sure about CF server, but not all servers out there broadcast file size to the downloading browser.

The other part of the problem I have no idea. I can't think of any way that opening DoomRL folder could cause this. To be honest I would suspect that the folder keeps on triggering some unrelated problem with your machine that nothing else yet triggered but I'm shooting blind here.

One thing you might try is trying to rename the doomrl folder before opening to something else. That aside it'd probably help if you stated what operating system you use and what program you use to unzip the file.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: DoomRL related Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:34 »

Try extracting other zip files and see what gives. Also, try to to rename it as malek said and/or unzip it in a different directory.
It could be some sort of corruption in your file system or something I bet. Or maybe there's something inside that folder that gives explorer seizures for some reason. :P But it can't be a DoomRL related "bug".

EDIT: Tried to access the folder with cmd?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:39 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]