Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #5, Jun 17)  (Read 42848 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #1, Nov 16)
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 15:23 »

Wiki entries have been added to the Wiki (check Strategy:Rocket launcher, Strategy:Demon, and Strategy:Intution, or go to Strategy:Contest pages for a list). They HAVEN'T been judged yet, give me some more time for that. As a side-note, I'm going to add some formating guidelines to the OP in time for the second contest, since some of your entries took a long time to put on the Wiki in such a way that they looked presentable. (This is mostly my fault for assuming that the expected formats would turn out okay...they did not.)

For the time being, I'm going to judge Sambojin's entry as though it were a legitimate one. I'll allow the rest of you (those that entered) to come to a decision as to whether or not he should be allowed a shot at the prize, so reply with your vote.

EDIT: My reason for potentially allowing this is because his entry in particular was long enough that I don't think he could have wrote it in the amount of time that had passed since the deadline, concluding that it was a matter of some technical difficulty that the submission was not received in time. Given that the point of his contest is to encourage writing, I don't have a desire to slam people on small details, but ultimately there IS a prize, which is why I leave it up to the other contestants.

EDIT2: Also, if no one minds, could we get this stickied? I'm planning on using this thread for all of the contests, so there won't be a regular sticky/desticky to worry about.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 15:35 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 16:45 »

I vote no for winnability of the entry.

There'll be another comp..... I think I submitted the first version with about 15mins to spare, the revised on about 20mins after deadline. Had to count squares, eat, have a coffee, feed the cat, that kind of stuff before the lever thing twigged. It kind of falls apart in the editing deparment, clarity, and weird spruiking/word-of-god effort on the edit :) .

But for the next comp, can we do u/l's to this thread? It will allow others to see your entry, but it is mighty convenient for me. Plus, others seeing a particular entry isn't such a bad thing. Whilst we are trying to win a prize, you're trying to get good strategy articles. If someone doesn't mind having their's seen, it might either raise the bar a little (or give a sense of superiority depending) or let people un-forget a few things.

It'd be user's choice, email or in-thread. I don't really mind if others read my initial submission, it'll be edited anyway alongside and into the others I assumed. And the point is, then anyone can read it. The best strategy article covers all points, not just one users views.

So are in-thread U/L'ed entries OK for the next comp?

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 18:21 »

Oh man, the other entries seem like they're a lot better than mine.

I didn't want to sound like a jerk, but if Sambojin is voting against himself, then I'll go along with him.

It gives me a slightly better chance of winning >_>

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 20:41 »

Matt_S, this hopefully will not be the last compo!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

GrimmC

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 22:05 »

Since I almost missed the deadline myself (Tuesday is kind of an odd day), and it was the first compo, I vote for admissibility. But in the future, entries should be on time.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 05:09 »

I also vote for admissibility.  It's an awful lot of work to just be dismissed on a technicality.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

theduck101

• Strategist
  • Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 05:36 »

I vote for admissibility.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33 »

I'm okay with any decision.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 10:33 »

But for the next comp, can we do u/l's to this thread? It will allow others to see your entry, but it is mighty convenient for me. Plus, others seeing a particular entry isn't such a bad thing. Whilst we are trying to win a prize, you're trying to get good strategy articles. If someone doesn't mind having their's seen, it might either raise the bar a little (or give a sense of superiority depending) or let people un-forget a few things.

As it stands, I'm going to have to introduce some formatting guidelines so that it's not a complete mess trying to add everything to the Wiki. Given this new inclusion to the rules, I'm going to allow for documents to be attached to emails. Hopefully this should be enough for you.

While it would be ideal to have everyone come together and write a single entry, I don't think nearly as many people would actually be motivated enough, on the basis that it would help the Wiki, to do that. Indeed, were that a reasonable option I wouldn't have started the contest in the first place. The fact that we have a competition going on with a prize at stake means there is some privilege of privacy expected when regarding each others' entries, and I prefer to respect that expectation. If you choose to waive this privilege freely, you're only hurting your chances of winning. Personally, I would much prefer that you didn't upload entries to the forum, but I have no justifiable reason to say no, so you are free to post them here.

I will try to have the winners determined by tonight. As an aside, if anyone would like their entry to be critiqued (formally or otherwise) by yours truly, lemme know and I'll see what I can do. Ultimately my goal is to fill the Wiki with solid, strategy-focused prose, and I am more than happy to take the time to teach what I know when it comes to such a matter.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #2, Nov 27)
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 08:38 »

Okay, judging is finished. I present to you the prize-winners of the first DoomRL Wiki Strategy Contest:

Rocket launcher: GrimmC
Intuition: theduck101
Demon: Elephant

Congratulations to all. The donations will be added shortly.

Before I start up the next contest I want to spend time figuring out how to arrange the formatting guidelines, so please be patient. The topics will be similar to the last contest (that is, one weapon, one trait, and one enemy). Once again, if anyone would like me to write out my opinions and/or criticism for your entry (so that you might know what to improve upon, etc) reply here or send an email or something and I will get right on that.

EDIT: Since I don't feel like triple-posting, I'll just say here that the next contest is up. Deadline's been moved back a bit so everyone will have roughly two weekends (and possibly Thanksgiving for some of you) to work on your submissions. I will not help people with the current contest, but again again, if you want some suggestions regarding your last entry, I am more than willing to help out.

Elephant

• Strategist
  • Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06 »

:)

I was planning to write about the rocket launcher too, but I ran out of time. Doing the charts took a lot of time. And my internet connection stopped for a while just when I was about to submit my entry, but fortunately it came back in time.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 10:20 »

Considering I love shotgun builds, this is a wonderful new topic selection.  Except pain elementals.  I don't have much to say about them because I've never really had any issue with them.

Congratulations to the winners; I had a feeling those would be the winning entries.

GrimmC

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45 »

Congrats to everyone! There were some great entries submitted.

I guess I should ask the obvious question: Since the capacity to health/zerk farm via Pain Elementals is planned to be phased out with the next version, should we omit it from our strategies?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48 »

I guess I should ask the obvious question: Since the capacity to health/zerk farm via Pain Elementals is planned to be phased out with the next version, should we omit it from our strategies?
No, these are strategies for THIS version. One of the reasons I included "accuracy" as a requirement for this contest was for precisely this sort of ambiguity: people who read your strategy should be able to use it the same day it was posted.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 13:59 »

The first set of prizes has been handed out! Congratulations to all the winners, feel free to check the beta out now :D.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7