Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #5, Jun 17)  (Read 42844 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
[WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #5, Jun 17)
« on: November 02, 2011, 14:32 »

There's a lot of content missing from the DoomRL Wiki when it comes to strategy, so what better way to begin filling it than with a contest designed specifically for it!

Competition #5

Deadline: June 17, 2012
Topics:
  • Hell's Arena (USD25)
  • The Chained Court (USD25)

Information regarding the contest can be found on the Wiki.

I would like to especially remind everyone that strategies must be valid for the current version. Also, since this particular contest is two weeks long, I REALLY don't want any late entries this time: I feel that accepting these tend to be unfair toward people who spent the time beforehand to get things done.

If you have any questions about these rules, please reply in this thread as well. (Don't use this topic as a place to discuss the entries themselves. There ARE talk pages on the Wiki, after all.)

So, without further ado, get out your pencils, your pens, your keyboards, or your keypads, and get to writing!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 16:10 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Strategy-writing contest (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 15:07 »

Should it be full strategy guides that cover everything, or just specific ways of doing stuff?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 15:40 »

Should it be full strategy guides that cover everything, or just specific ways of doing stuff?
The strategy section on the Wiki is really meant to be an aggregate supply of everything, but that doesn't mean you have to personally provide it. You should be as detailed and insightful as possible with regards to anything that you'd be writing, but you don't need to be comprehensive. Specifically, I'm looking for a "guide to a particular topic", which will end up just being about an item, or an enemy, or a trait. In the case of, say, a challenge mode, you'd probably want to have an overarching strategy for the entire thing in mind, but it isn't necessary for high marks: the better you are at explaining yourself and the better you are designing an effective strategy, the more likely you would be to win.

The basic premise of the contest will be along the lines of "write all you know about [topic]", where I choose the topics based on a single page or whatever. We'll see where it goes from there.

EDIT: You will not be disqualified from this contest if you can't yet post on the Wiki. If anything, I will probably ask that all submissions be emailed to me instead of trying to sort through all of the edits (to ensure that your words are your own, etc) at which point they will be added once the contest for that given topic ends.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 17:29 by Game Hunter »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 17:45 »

Just as with any contest, there would be some kind of prize, although I don't know exactly what at the moment (there aren't many things to offer around here, especially since I'm not in charge of that kind of stuff). So, right now, the most enticing prize I can think of is that I donate a small amount of money in the winner's stead, thus making them a Supporter (or adding to their total for current supporters, which can matter if you're aiming for Supporter of Chaos). For a lot of people I imagine it's a fair enough prize, though I reserve the right not to award it if none of the submissions in a given contest interval are "good enough", meaning that this sort of thing will need to be earned by merit.
I will match the dollar amount that Game Hunter donates in the winner's stead.
I computed, therefore I was.

GrimmC

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 21:48 »

Sounds good to me.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:13 »

I'm interested and motivated to write something, but i'm not sure i have enough doomrl experience to write good strategy.Though i still want to try.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:02 »

I'm interested and motivated to write something, but i'm not sure i have enough doomrl experience to write good strategy.Though i still want to try.
To anyone else who is considering this contest: this is, to be frank, all I'm looking for in a reply. If you feel that you lack the DoomRL experience necessary to write what you think would be the winning submission, I can assure you that there are only a few of us who REALLY know what we're doing, and there's a good chance none of us are going to enter this contest (or perhaps just once to pick up Supporter access...if those with experience actually wanted to write for the Wiki, they would have done so by now). In the event that we have some people who are repeatedly winning, I'll likely end up awarding the best two or three as necessary, just so that everyone feels they have a good chance to win.

So please, if you know stuff about the game, perhaps some genuinely good pieces of advice for beginniners, and think you have the ability to write it down thoroughly and understandably, reply here. I want to be assured that there is a good pool of people entering before I start this up.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:58 »

I'd enter, but I suck really bad at DoomRL :(.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 14:44 »

So do I. But I'm a really cheap bastard who happens to be unemployed right now, so slapping in some supporters time rather than supporters dollars will be easy. And by god do I have some time to kill right now...... I actually type these posts on my phone for crying out loud :)

Count me in. I'm a novice to intermediate level player, finished the game in quite a few modes in all skill levels but N!, but failed miserably to do so, many, many times. I've been playing since 0.9.9.1 so I've got a fair idea of the game mechanics/builds/strategies by now.

Any idea of what topic you want the first articles to be on Gamehunter? Regardless of the competition, I'll have a crack at it this weekend if you want.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 21:06 »

I'd certainly be willing to compete.  I only recently graduated from being a beginner, but I think that actually gives me a good perspective on strategy.

theduck101

• Strategist
  • Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13 »

I wouldn't mind trying this out - sounds like fun and it'll force me to have a good think about the way I play :-)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07 »

Okay, I'd say we have a enough people to go ahead with this thing. I'll be updating the OP each week for the new contest topics (so check for an update there soon).

Gonna kick things off and get this going ASAP, so contests begin as soon as the OP says there's something to do.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: [WIKICOMP] Strategy Contest! (DEADLINE #1, Nov 16)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:14 »

Game Hunter: the USD10 is to total prize or just what you would contribute?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22 »

Game Hunter: the USD10 is to total prize or just what you would contribute?
I was factoring your double-up in that prize amount, so (for instance) the prizes for this contest will be $5 me $5 you.

It's not meant to be THAT much, basically enough for someone to become a supporter. (I figure when we actually donate, we should probably lump it into the total amount of all prizes so that the Paypal fees don't cost as much, and Kornel can distribute the funds appropriately.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:25 by Game Hunter »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 08:42 »

I was factoring your double-up in that prize amount, so (for instance) the prizes for this contest will be $5 me $5 you.

It's not meant to be THAT much, basically enough for someone to become a supporter. (I figure when we actually donate, we should probably lump it into the total amount of all prizes so that the Paypal fees don't cost as much, and Kornel can distribute the funds appropriately.)
Got it.  Lemme know when the winners have been decided.

To everyone else, go write the bestest most awesomest strategy guide that you can!  =D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7