Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: News from the Forge vol. 4: DoomRL 0.9.9.5 BETA status thread  (Read 13865 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

...or how the world was changed.

Well, well, about time. Doom the Roguelike 0.9.9.5 BETA is now out to donators, but you should have realized that by just reading the header here, so before I go into details, allow me to start with something related: GOOD FOLK OF CHAOSFORGE! Bid welcome to a new co-developer of Chaosforge games, noble and renowned Game_Hunter. He joined Almighty Kornel and tehtmi in their work, and together, the world will be theirs, in due time, of course.

But in the meantime, they managed to create this new wonderful, beautiful beta. Why wonderful and beautiful? Let us just say that it is groundbreaking release, as fitting for a .9.9.5 version. And reasons for it? Well. See for yourself, for I am going to allow facts to speak over an overly elaborate PR crap.

Bugfixes
Apart from creating a huge number of changes-related bugs, this version gives us a few neat fixes already. First of all: difficult medals give you easier medals of the same series if you haven't already received them, which is something many wanted for a long time now. Second off: trying to fire with not enough (but non-zero) ammo is now instant. One less weirdness of the engine to worry about now. Neat. And, apart from that, a bunch of other minor fixes (mostly challenge) related was introduced, but them you will have to see for yourself.

New Features
And now....
  • MAJOR RESTRUCTURING OF THE GAME! - instead of simple progressing through Phobos Base into Phobos Hell, now we have something much truer to the source material: three episodes - Phobos Base, Tower of Babel and Dis, each culminating with a climatic boss encounter!
  • New final boss! Yeah, that is right: good ol' Cybbie will no longer be the one that capstones the game. Something more monstrous will be there, waiting for you!
  • New AIs! As of now, mancubi and arch-viles received a cool new AI, and as the new betas shall appear, all creatures will receive a similiar upgrade.
  • Last but not least, the long awaited nerf to the the much maligned Arch-Viles is here. You wanted, you have it now. After like a five years or so.
  • Tweaks of special level spawning, to go along with new level structure.

So... huge, huge things, as you can clearly see. Especially the nerf. Things worth seeing, worth playing. DoomRL changes, DoomRL evolves. And that is but the first step. And if you can't stand the wait and the teasers, maybe consider donating?

Stay tuned for more information, they should appearing shortly.

I think I forgot to mention the graphical version beta... damm it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:34 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: News from the Forge vol. 4: DoomRL 0.9.9.5 BETA status thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 16:55 »

And here... we... go.

Doom the Roguelike 0.9.9.5 BETA 2 is out, and yes, it does bring many goods - and makes an excellent job out of showcasing the talents of our newest developer, Game Hunter, for it is by his that the beta was released. Together with Kornel and tehtmi, they are slowly taking the game to the new level - of intelligence, at least, for it is the AI of former foos and assorted being like hell knights or barons that was affected the most in this release - no longer they are dumb as... well, okay, they are still dumb, but less so, and this is a shooter, after all. They do not recruit intelligent people as minions, after all.

Well, not much else to talk here, so let us get to the meat:

Bugfixes
Apart of that he [Game Hunter] and tehtmi did a lot of fixes from the last beta, leaving only one known bug which will be solved soon -- AoPc has no sane way to pass the Cyberdemon yet.

All that I have to say on this matter.

New Features

• New AIs - former foos of all kinds, Hell Knights and Barons and also telebosses (Shambler, Lava Elemental)
  • New PowerUp!
  • Hell's Arena rewards tweaked to suit the tastes of challengers of all sorts!
  • New exotic weapon - the combat pistol!
  • Two new Challenges to replace the good, old Angel of Haste - Angel of Confidence and Angel of Overconfidence

So, that is all for now - may seam meagre, but is all but! Remember, this is the second beta, and there is a ton of technical work that goes behind the curtain that is to support thundering reworkings that we are going to see soon. How soon? Can't tell now, so if you are really itchy to put your hands on the new toys right now, why not donate?

Stay tuned for more!

DooMBringer

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 15:12 »

Two new Challenges to replace the good, old Angel of Haste - Angel of Confidence and Angel of Overconfidence

Why do you wish to replace this challenge with other? What will happen with rewards given for this  challenge?

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 16:21 »

Rather than skipping every other level, Angel of Confidence/Overconfidence start you in Deimos and Hell, respectively.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24 »

I liked Angel of Haste. :(
-Legend

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 23:42 »

New final boss!

Spider Mastermind, Mother Demon, or Shubby? What happens to JC?

Quote from: DooMBringer on November 17, 2011, 15:12
Why do you wish to replace this challenge with other?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzQD2SRESs#t=7m34s

:D

I don't see Angel of Haste as Obsolete. :(  It still seems different enough from confident/over confident to keep around. I like the idea of Angel of Haste better than confident/over confident. Why not instead Keep Angel of Haste and make skipping to the latter two episodes an unlockable Episode select feature that is unlocked by beating the respective episodes for the first time? Maybe on a specific difficulty and not on AoH.

What will happen to the Angel of Haste related badges that were achieved? I would be pretty pissed if I lost my rank because AoH being removed means that I have one less badge that was the one that I got last time that finally got me my last rank. 

Is there going to be ending/intermission text and music after each of the 3 episodes?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 00:01 by Brewtal Legend »
-Legend

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:39 »

Spider Mastermind, Mother Demon, or Shubby? What happens to JC?
Yes, one of them is the new Hell Boss. And don't worry... John Carmack is still around.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:40 »

I don't see Angel of Haste as Obsolete. :(  It still seems different enough from confident/over confident to keep around. I like the idea of Angel of Haste better than confident/over confident. Why not instead Keep Angel of Haste and make skipping to the latter two episodes an unlockable Episode select feature that is unlocked by beating the respective episodes for the first time? Maybe on a specific difficulty and not on AoH.
Both AoHa and AoCn/AoOC have the same challenge theme: if we think of normal level scaling as floor = Lev, AoHa is 2*Lev while AoCn/AoOC is Lev+8/Lev+16. There IS a difference, but I don't think it's enough to warrant having all of them around. Consider that, with the current episodic setup, AoHa would see Hellgate at dlvl4, Cybie at dlvl8, and the new boss at dlvl12. That gives you VERY little time to prepare for any one of them, not to mention doing them all in the same game. (Over)Confidence fits better into the current format of the game.

What will happen to the Angel of Haste related badges that were achieved? I would be pretty pissed if I lost my rank because AoH being removed means that I have one less badge that was the one that I got last time that finally got me my last rank.
I think you'll lose the badges themselves, but you can't lose your rank.

On a related note, all of the badges are being reevaluated so that there's a greater consistency for a given tier (in particular, a lot of the harder challenges are getting their badges made easier).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 23:12 »

On a related note, all of the badges are being reevaluated so that there's a greater consistency for a given tier (in particular, a lot of the harder challenges are getting their badges made easier).
On the same note, I'd like to pinpoint a flaw.
Why is beating Angel of Light Travel on N! a gold badge?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42 »

On the same note, I'd like to pinpoint a flaw.
Why is beating Angel of Light Travel on N! a gold badge?
Because it never was fixed...UNTIL NOW. Lightfoot is now a 5-badge series, which follows a much flatter incline in terms of difficulty (winning it on HMP is now worth a Gold, for instance).

I'm not going to spoil everything, but be assured that a lot of the badges will seem far more appropriate come 0995.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 23:28 »

I would be pretty pissed if I lost my rank because AoH being removed means that I have one less badge that was the one that I got last time that finally got me my last rank. 

Looks like I might be screwed as far as keeping my rank in the new version anyways since my external hard drive that I kept the game on seems to be messing up on me :( waaaaaa!
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:03 »

BTW, opionally "Cloud"-stored player data might appear in 0.9.9.6.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 16:24 »

Lament! Lament and wail in despair, for a foul thing had happened to the cause of the Forge! As we were nearing the release, life struck mercilessly, and so, the deadline set for DoomRL 0.9.9.5 at the breaking of the new year is going to be missed, and more, some features we came to expect from it are going to pushed back to the next version. Lament, for the next version the only Doom Roguelike that is shall be released with a few days of delay!

But lo, there is a light of hope on the horizon still! As the Almighty Kornel decrees, the work on the next version of DoomRL shall start immediately, and we shall able to bask in the glory of 0.9.9.6 before we even know it! But more!

For those of you who had the magnanimity to donate, to join the hallowed ranks of the Supporters, let it be known that on the day 0.9.9.5 become available to the public a wonder beyond words shall be granted to you: a graphical version beta, ready for playing and testing, long awaited, but worth every moment of the wait - to this, I attest, as the High Priest of the Forge!

So lose the hope not, folk of the Forge!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 16:27 by Gargulec »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:00 »

So you guys aren't entirely disappointed at launch, I want to note that the assemblies didn't get changed in time to go into the 0.9.9.5 release. As it stands, there's this thing we want to do with regeneration that should act as an effective nerf for Nano Pack, and I didn't want to mess around with the assemblies (given that there are so many that are affected) until it was complete. That'll be moved to 0.9.9.6, along with some other cool stuff in the works.

Things you CAN look forward to, however, are as follows:
  • Full-on AI revamps
  • Extra boss, and a souped-up rendition of the secret one
  • Lots of badge changes, mostly designed to be easier
  • Simplified and far more robust modding (including episodic format!)
  • A metric crapton of bugfixes
There's some other stuff, but I'm trying to be as vague as possible so you're interested but not sufficiently spoiled. (All things mentioned by Gargulec are also included: I'm just highlighting the big stuff.)

Pages: [1] 2  All