Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 06:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Less exotic/unique assemblies  (Read 14045 times)

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
Less exotic/unique assemblies
« on: November 03, 2011, 13:57 »

Over a quarter of the assemblies require nano packs. Just under half require exotic/unique packs to use. I was under the impression that assemblies were, in part, a way to reduce reliance on unique drops to get yourself some nifty gear. Instead it's looking like a way to use nano packs to make godkiller equipment, instead of the ability to create not-quite-exotic gear out of mundane material.

Basic seems fine; it only has a couple of things in there that require exotic/unique mods to make. But more than half of the advanced ones require exotic drops. There are no advanced pistol assemblies that don't require an exotic, and the only advanced armor you can build without a unique mod is environmental boots. Chainguns and shotguns do get the Assault Rifle and Focused Double, which look pretty sweet (I haven't gotten the Focused Double, but the Assault Rifle served me well in the past), but other equipment types rely on exotics to get any better. Master is almost entirely nano-based. Except the new Cerebus gear, which I haven't tried yet (The 0 protection weirds me out, high resistances or not).

Considering that nano is already really powerful even without assemblies, can we get more that don't require it? Or the other rare mods, for that matter?
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Less exotic/unique assemblies
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 14:39 »

Part of the v0.9.9.5 overhaul will be me doing some major changes to the exotics, uniques, and assemblies (or, at the very least, running some significant analysis on all of these things to see if they require major changes). More likely than not a good chunk of this work will involve changing the assemblies around a lot, so expect some easier-but-lesser versions of the things you already know in the next version (or betas if you have access to them). In my humble opinion, however, I figure that all of the master assemblies should require exotic or unique mods in order to create them. At the moment this is vastly skewed in favor of finding Nano Packs, and there are even a couple that don't require any rare mods at all: I'll be experimenting over the course of development to create interesting combinations for the master assemblies so that they are powerful but aren't too impossible to assemble in a given game.

That said, if you want to point me in a specific direction, use this topic as a suggestion box for all assembly-related changes (or possibly additions, as I may end up scrapping some of the current ones if there's no reasonable way to redeem them).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:25 »

Except the new Cerebus gear, which I haven't tried yet (The 0 protection weirds me out, high resistances or not).

Anyone who can assemble Cerberus armor can give it 2 protection with a power mod after assembly.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:33 »

I really have to agree with this post. Basic assembies should not require any more than Power, Technical, Agility, or Bulk packs. Advanced shouldn't use more than exotic, and even then only for a few. Master should be the realm of rare assembly pack.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be changing things around with the assemblies. I'll take a look at the weapon and armor stat over the next couple of days and see if I can hammer out some suggestions for you. I promise not to spoil any current .5 changes.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 18:33 »

Not actually a post for the assemblies themselves, but about the Technician class. Starting with a tech-mod is something that really does help make them (in my eyes at least) the best. Amongst their other amazingly good bonuses.

With WK as their normal advanced trait, it makes things a bit too good. I've posted about it in the "strongest build" thread, but having the tech mod can be a little overpowered. Once you've done the Chained Court, you've got the option of going pistols (1 Speedloader is done), rapid fire - a hyperblaster (an ag/tech'ed plasma rifle to play with until another tech pops up), micro-launcher for general explodyness (teched R/L is still good) or a tactical shotty (first power mod and a combat shotty means a free assault power-modded shotty basically).

Even just putting it on that first shotgun helps a lot to get through the early levels.

I understand it isn't exactly a gimme solution, and there's usually enough tech mods for all the classes/assemblies/builds, but by god does it make things easier in either the early or mid game. An almost definate choice of build type with weapons to match for which one you choose. Assemblies were sometimes a mongrel to get in earlier versions. We all (me) whined that you either needed WK, basic assemblies weren't good enough and that something should be done about it. I think I may have rambled on about normal modding still being better or something like that. I haven't done a run in ages now that I haven't assembled SOMETHING.

Technicians did fix all that that, but probably too well. Strong builds, strong weapons, good armour. The basic assemblies also all got a good boost. Do we need a free mod pack (of any sort) for an already strong class?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 18:36 by Sambojin »

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 18:58 »

Yes, this post is to just pip me over the 100 post mark.

If technicians are going to keep their tech-mod, can we expect the other classes to start with additional equipment?

Perhaps either a small or large meditkit for marines and a (homing?) phase device for scouts? Perhaps the balance of technicians is exactly what's wanted, and a spare medikit or phase would probably be less empowering than a technicians advantages.

A consumable-mini-berserk for marines and a consumable tracking map for scouts would be favourite (and nicely overpowered :) )

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 20:27 »

Well, yes but no. The Tech mod is as permanent as the weapon you slap it on, while the consumables are good for, at best, one level. Maybe if each class started with a different mod pack?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

GrimmC

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 21:38 »

Technicians are by nature tinkerers. It makes sense for them to have a mod pack, but I would not expect the other classes to have one. I like the idea of other special items, the mini berserk and tracking map, for the other two classes. Or else something in that vein.

Technicians are powerful, but they're probably just the first class to get it "right". Let's not forget the 50% powerup duration that Marines have, which basically nullifies any level if there's two invuls or berserks right next to each other, and the +10 hitpoints. Oh yeah, not to mention access to BA at any time which basically doubles your hitpoints.

If anything, scouts are a little weak, and that's mostly because active defense doesn't seem to cut it these days. By late-game, there are two enemies which can hit you no matter how fast you move, and a third which has a very good chance to. Plus, it seems very hard to get serious firepower with any of the Scout master traits. Even Fireangel, which is technician but the epitome of active defense, the only way to dodge Viles and Revs, suffers because of the lack of firepower.

Conclusion: I think we should wait to see how the game plays with the late-game AI tweaking and other changes before we worry about messing with the classes too much.

On topic: I agree that assemblies should be tweaked. Since I don't look at the Wiki, I don't really know exactly what the Advanced or any of the Master assemblies look like. But I did take a quick glance once and was surprised at how many nanos were required for the Advanced assemblies. That seems unnecessary. For the record, I have played through at least 12 full games now in the past two months and got decently far in many more, and only once did I find ANY exotic or rare mod packs. It seems very, very unlikely to find one unless you annihilate the Shambler, and don't have any more schematics to pick up.

The Basic assemblies are well-balanced. I don't mind if Masters are crazy assemblies that you probably won't get, but will totally turn the tables if you do. Advanced have to fall somewhere in between. They're more than just exotics you can assemble--most have a fairly dramatic effect on the game, which I like. Still, it should be feasible to assemble most of them in a given game.

In particular, pistols definitely could use some more assemblies. Almost all of the better weapons are limited to exotics/rares that hardly ever drop...and it seems like you never find those on your AoMr run.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:15 »

...exotics/rares that hardly ever drop...and it seems like you never find those on your AoMr run.
And you find sniper and firestorm mods on AoB and Nano and Onyx on AoI.
Use power for power.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 06:51 »

My problem with the rarity of certain modpacks and the prevalence of them in higher-tier assemblies is that it makes taking Whizkid and hoping to collect rare assemblies (even in AoC) a major gamble.

I had a simple idea for making WK even more overpowered and lessening the already great chance that you'll take it only to use one or two of the more advanced assemblies:

Only include Nano and Onyx packs in basic assemblies. That way, if you find one, you'll have an array of powerful (if possibly somewhat limited) choices regardless of the build that finds it, and Whizkids will only need to collect basic materials to make their glorious end-game toys rather than wishing and praying.

p.s. starting a movement to call Ao100 'AoC' since I do not like typing 'Ao100'.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 16:32 »

Only include Nano and Onyx packs in basic assemblies. That way, if you find one, you'll have an array of powerful (if possibly somewhat limited) choices regardless of the build that finds it, and Whizkids will only need to collect basic materials to make their glorious end-game toys rather than wishing and praying.

But if you find a nano or onyx pack, you can already do something ridiculous with it by just putting it on your stuff.  You don't need whizkid.  Any assembly involving a nano pack has to compete with the power of putting it on your rocket/missile/napalm launcher.  Onyx's default (red armour) is less insane but still very strong and also part of a basic assembly.  Making a ton of basic assemblies with nano/onyx just makes the packs that much more broken, which they do not need.

And if you do take whizkid, you don't need to find a unique pack to make good use of it.  Nothing wrong with carrying an A2P3 plasma rifle, or a hyperblaster, or P2B3 pistols, ... or cerberus gear.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 16:43 »

Or, if you're a Technician, a ATP Cybernetic
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 17:08 »

I vaguely remember that being my rant in 0.9.9.2 or so. Basic modding works so well anyway with the special mod packs that the advanced or master assemblies were overkill in an already good situation.

Firestorm? Great plasma rifle or mini-bfg-ML.

Nano? Shotguns, ML/RLs or a red armour.

Onyx? Red armour.

And whizzkid just let you make those things even better. If I find an onyx pack (or an onyx armour), I'll go down the WK path regardless. Who doesn't want an OP armour? Or an FTP missile launcher? :)

Any assembly not requiring the special packs is already great, how much better do they need to be for the rareness of the special packs? When the special packs do so much anyway?

Really damn good. Which they are, just don't expect to be able to use them often. Would you break a build type if you found an onyx just to make something really cool with WK? I mean, you've already got plate armour, what more do you want? OP armour?

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 21:28 »

That's part of my problem with exotic/unique packs going into advanced assemblies (I could care less if they're used in Ultimate Assemblies). Because you're slapping an overpowering modifier on a weapon, you know that you're going to get an overpowered weapon out of it, whether or not it's an assembly. Yeah, I get the idea of rewarding actually using the mods with a new toy and a mark in the Player Stats, but it's just silly to have so many middle-of-the-road assemblies that require awesome tools to make - especially when a Nano Mod Pack serves me better on my armor than it does going into an advanced assembly. If I were making an Ultimate Assembly, then yeah I'd use that, but still.

According to the Wiki...

Of the 19 Basic Assemblies, 4 require special mod packs - Power Armor and Plasmatic Shrapnel require Nano Packs, while Plate Armor and Lava Boots require Onyx Pack. 15/19 (a nice 79%) of the Basic Assemblies can be built with just the standard four packs, while the remaining 4 are evenly divided between Onyx and Nano.

Of the 14 Advanced Assemblies, 8 require special mod packs - Energy Pistol requires Sniper; VBFG9K, Nanofiber Skin, Gravity Boots and Nano Shrapnel all require Nano packs; Storm Bolter Pistol and Assault Cannon require Firestorm; Fireshield requires Onyx. 6/14 (a measley 43%) of Advanced Assemblies can be built with just the standard four packs, while half of the others require the Nano pack. Bear in mind that the Nano Pack and Onyx Pack are Unique items. Unique items with no guarantee of appearing.

Like I said before, I could care less about how bad the Master Assemblies are on requirements, but here are their numbers anyway. Of the 7 Ultimate Assemblies, only two of them - Cerberus Armor and Cerberus Boots - can be made with just the standard four packs. The remaining 5 all require a Nano Pack; in addition, the Cybernano Armor also requires the Onyx Pack, while the Biggest Fucking Gun only requires the Sniper Pack

Out of all the assemblies, the Nano Pack is used in 11 of them (Out of 40 total assemblies - that's 27.5% of all assemblies)

At first glance, it seems weird that you can't use Exotic Packs in Basic Assemblies, but any monkey could slap a power and onyx mod on a red armor, while it takes some real knowhow to turn a Tactical, a Bulk, a Firestorm, and a Pistol into the Storm Bolter Pistol.

Dammit, I can't count past 11pm...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 15:27 by raekuul »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 22:05 »

Also, let something be said about the appearance rates of the standard four mod packs. You're more likely to build a Chainsword (Power + Bulk on Combat Knife) or Piercing Blade (Agilty + Power on any multimod melee weapon) than you are to make an Elephant Gun (Power + Power + Shotgun), and you're practically guaranteed a Tactical Armor or Boots if you can make it through the Chained Court. Power Mods are about as common as Envirosuits. Agility Mods are about as common as Imps.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 15:25 by raekuul »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All