Chaosforge Forum

• May 06, 2024, 18:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Auto-Pickup  (Read 2829 times)

Placek

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Auto-Pickup
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:15 »

Hello. I have downloaded the game just today and played it a little, it's a very fun, simple and very addicting RL game.
But there is only one problem I have got with this game: Lack of auto-pickup.
Everyone knows how auto-pickup works, right? Your character steps on an item and the character automatically picks it up.
It would be great if auto-pickup would be added in game, but with a little filter, for example:
You set the auto-pickup to pick ONLY 10mm ammo and ignore everything else.

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-Pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:34 »

Picking things up requires game-time. And, quite often, you're going to be wading through piles of bodies and items during a firefight. Auto-pickup happening while you're dodging trouble sounds like a good way to get killed. That's not getting into the inventory management part of the game, which is pretty important.

Being able to toggle it on or off in-game would be a necessity, but I'm not sure how you'd set which items you want auto-pickup for while the game is actually running. Having to turn the game off and edit the configuration files between every game seems like a hacky solution, but I'm not sure how else to do it effectively.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 15:08 »

Auto-pickup is horrible. I hate it in like every roguelike. Especially in DoomRL, of which the floors tend to get littered with items after some time.
And if you need to make an exception on picking something up you'd have to turn it off and on again, and that WILL happen a lot. It's really not worth the trouble.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 15:39 »

I think Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup has a pretty good auto-pickup system.  And that's probably the only roguelike where I don't turn turn auto-pickup off.  I don't think it's worth adding it to DoomRL.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 03:24 »

There doesn't seem to be any reason for a changed pickup system. In DoomRL you've only every got a max of 22 items in your inventory at any time so you don't have that much room. There's no weight system, no "ascension kit", no eight-rings/amulets-of-occaisional-usefulness. You've also only ever got one item per map square, so you'll never miss a good item amongst the piles of junk. Basically, things are either very good for your build, or pointless/redundant. Plus with the time factor for pickups and the movement based dodge system (and reloads for some builds) it would make it a very dangerous.

Making an auto-pickup specific for item types is a hassle for the player (even if it could be changed on the fly), yet making it for all items is useless. The inventory and the picking of it is nice and simple currently whilst being complex enough depending on gameplay and a fundamental part your "run" or build-type/strategy in DoomRL as it is.

So, ummm, I reckon it's a bad idea....(gee I waffle on a bit)
Pages: [1]