Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Common elements to victory  (Read 4924 times)

James

Common elements to victory
« on: November 06, 2005, 20:49 »

Hey, if any of you checked out the YAVPs, the traits that people take seem to be common:

(all of them)cat eye
(all of them)eagle eye
(almost all)finesse
(almost all)tough as nails
others were SOB and ironman

and end inventory, everyone had chaingun but only 1 person had a shotgun.

it seems lategame it's all about long range combat:  if you get close, you get hit and lose health.  If you don't have cateye, you get shot when you enter their range.  I know that I can't even imagine winning if I can't ourange the monsters, I lose too much health if i try to use the shotgun.

(though shotgun is great in the early levels)

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 21:38 »

I hate the chaingun, I guess im a rapid fire weapon hater. I hate the rocket too, can't use it most of the time without damaging or kiling myself.

So I keep using shotgun, and I never made it pass an arachnotron. So I guess the shotgun ain't good then...

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 21:56 »

I prefer combat shotty over chaingun too, but, as with you, i never get that far :'(
Howdy.

Corremn

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dodo.com.au/~savre/DemiseRL/
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 00:36 »

I use double shotty a lot for later levels, I take a few hits this way, but they die quick.
Quoting: jake250
I hate the rocket too, can't use it most of the time without damaging or kiling myself.

I use shot guns for close encounters, I switch to this when exploring small rooms and tight corridors, I quick blast and you can duck around a wall.  Switch to chaingun or  plasma when exporing cities and open spaces.  For rockets I first locate a baddie then step back and prepare the launcher then blast it from a safe distance.   Never explore new terrain with a prepared rocket launcher!!

James

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 01:50 »

when I use a shotgun, I always use coward stance.  monsters miss more often, and since you're using a shotgun your hit rate isn't affected (as far as I can tell).

I do something like max hellrunner with shotgun runs, moving costs less and reloads for you, and increses your dodge chance further.

Although in the later levels I tend to drop shotguns behind (monsters have too much hitpoints to be slugging out with in close range).

Ighalli

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 05:25 »

I always get tough as nails up to level 3 before anything else.  I think it's pretty damned powerful to have skin almost as good as tghe best armor!  Usually after that I get eagle eye once or twice and switch to the chain gun.  The win I posted was actually my first character to take cat eye.  It's not so much that cat eye is overpowered as that the AI can't cope with it in this version.  I think tough as nails is the most powerful.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 07:32 »

Quoting: James
Hey, if any of you checked out the YAVPs, the traits that people take seem to be common:
It's becouse everyone takes them (surprisingly there is no reload or hellrunner on the list).

Actually, the game is winnable without any traits.

and end inventory, everyone had chaingun but only 1 person had a shotgun.
The shotgun is usefull as long as there are walls to hind behind.

James

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 08:24 »

I'll try winning without talents (i'll stuff em all in brute and son of a gun), that might be fun to do.

And the shotgun is pretty good, but later on it seem to lose it's shine (unless I find a good fastload double shotgun...).  It takes too many shots or you have to get too close, take too much damage in the process.  (and walls seem to crumble when the baron throws poo at me).  It's good for non-energy-poo-ball chucking enemies though.

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 03:24 »

baron throws poo at me

-poo-ball chucking enemies

Dude, its NOT poo, lol
Howdy.

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:46 »

Quoting: Corremn
I use shot guns for close encounters, I switch to this when exploring small rooms and tight corridors, I quick blast and you can duck around a wall. Switch to chaingun or plasma when exporing cities and open spaces. For rockets I first locate a baddie then step back and prepare the launcher then blast it from a safe distance. Never explore new terrain with a prepared rocket launcher!!

rofl, I use them in the exact opposite manner, chainguns and plasma for corridors, rockets for open spaces.  I reserve the shotgun for close-midrange battles that I didn't mean to get into (opening a door to find out theres a lot of unhappy people on the other side) late game (if i get there) i'll use the double shotty as an opener and then switch to something with range, then reload it all after the fight is over
Pages: [1]