Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Mafia - Interest Check  (Read 13752 times)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Mafia - Interest Check
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 11:49 »

:P I was kind of hoping to GM the first game, but I won't stop you from doing so.

Actually, it's probably better if I save themed games for (a) after people are used to the game in general, (b) after we get our own style of play going, and (c) after we've had at least one vanilla game.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 14:14 »

I'd like to expound upon my earlier statement: if we don't get a 9th player, I would instead vote for night start.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 15:02 »

I agree with Matt_S.

I'd prefer a Day start with an uneven number of players, but if the number is even, Night start is better.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:17 »

Hmmm.. if you're waiting for 9th player, then I'm in.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38 »

Klear makes 9 players, so I'll go ahead and start setting up. It might be a little town-heavy, though.

EDIT: So, basically, 9 players means 4 days of voting. I'm not sure if I want to have three mafia, three pro-town power roles and three vanilla townies; or two mafia, two pro-town power roles, and five vanilla townies. It's really hard to balance for nine because it's so easy to upset the balance really badly.

If I give three mafia, then the game is guaranteed to go for at least three days, but the mafia would win if there have been no correct lynches on either day 1 or day 2 AND if the doctor fails to protect anyone. I would have to throw in more power roles for the town in order for them to stand a fighting chance, and I really don't want to do that.

On the other hand, two mafia members is really town-sided and the mafia has to fight an uphill battle, which would mean any power roles would make it that much harder for the mafia to win.

Of course, there's always the third option, but I want to save that for when we've played a few games and gotten to know each other's style of play first (plus, that option is a lot more fun with thirteen people)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:52 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19 »

I suggest looking at the MafiaWiki. They have plenty of good, balanced setups, and you can easily look around for new ideas.

The current Newbie setup, 2 of 4, is pretty balanced and simple, with interesting roles, and I can highly recommend it.

EDIT: My player stats are on there as well: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Uite, and as you can see, I've run a few games. I have a well worked out and detailed ruleset available, if you think it would help you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:29 by Uitë »
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58 »

I actually prefer the players, rulesets and setups found on The Grey Labyrinth over the Mafiascum crowd; much more relaxed, much less metagaming. Plus, I've kind of already started sending out the roles anyway.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 09:08 »

That's fine, to each their own keeps things fresh. You expressed some trouble determining whether to use two or three Mafia, and a simple solution is to give Mafia extra powers, which you didn't seem to consider, why is why is posted those links. Mafia power roles are pretty much SOP on MafiaScum.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Gamer-man

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 21:39 »

i prefer night start just because it doesn't make sense to start lynching people until we have reason to suspect we should.
we can also day start with the first day having people be able to vote to not lynch anyone, that'd be interesting.

for balancing games with uneven distributions, i like to balance it in favour of the majority by a factor of the sqrt of the number of people they have.
so if it is a 1 vs 100 game, the 1 should win 1:10.  if it is a 2 vs 7 game, the 2 should win 1:1.87, but this is complicated by the fact that in mafia, dead people don't really win just because their team wins, however as special individuals have an advantage over vanilla ones anyways, the game is fundimentally unbalanced, so it is really a judgement call on the terms of fun rather than balance in the first place.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40 »

So when do we start the game? I got a role PM a while ago...

Also, dead people should win along with their faction. Vanilla townies have a very important role, and that is being cannon fodder, soaking up bullets that could otherwise go to power roles. If you have to survive to win, a lot of that is lost.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33 »

We're still waiting for a couple people to confirm. The BCC test served two purposes - one to bother everybody's emails, and two to make sure I can use BCC properly (I once fucked up and BCC'd myself while putting all the townies in the TO: field, so justifiable paranoia is justifiable.)

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 15:34 »

Well, game's going pretty well...
Pages: 1 [2]  All