Chaosforge Forum

• May 20, 2024, 18:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: music won't play  (Read 5281 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
music won't play
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:01 »

When I try to run doomrl 9.8.5 for windows on my dell latitude with windows 98 I get an error message when I start doomrl.bat or doomrl.exe.

" critical error: <tsound/0/0> registermusic(music/0 - intro.mid): etc/timidity/timidity.cfg: no such file or directory"

the game will run if I dissable the music, but I would like to hear the music when I play. I had the older version of doomrl on the same computer and it ran fine with the music playing. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how I can fix it?

-Legend
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: music won't play
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:45 »

Do you have the DLL's in your directory? (SDL.dll and SDL_mixer.dll)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:03 »

Yeah. all the dll's are in the same directory.
-Legend

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:05 »

Do I need this "timidity.cfg" file? Where is it supposed to be? Where do I get it?
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:11 »

Hmm, have you tried MP3 sounds? Do they work?

Also, I found something funny on a SDL_mixer page...
On Windows, sound output will not work unless you have set the video mode : we need to associate DirectSound with a window handle. So you need to :

1. initialize SDL with both SDL_INIT_VIDEO and SDL_INIT_AUDIO at the same time
   2. call SDL_SetVideoMode before SDL_OpenAudio.
And I DON'T set the video mode :|.

Anyway, this may be fixed by providing a Windows version that's linked to FMOD instead... But it SHOULD run with Mixer! timidity should be only needed on Linux system...

At least I don't have any timidity on my system. What soundcard do you have?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:45 »

I have a neomagic magic media sound card. Like I said, the last version of drl played the music just fine. No I haven't tried the mp3 music yet. That computer isn't hooked up to the internet. do you have a version of 9.8.5 that's linked to fmod? Also, I don't quite get what the instructions from the sdl mixer page that posted mean.

-Legend
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 13:05 »

They mean that no one should hear sound at all xD.

Please try linking the MP3's -- we will be sure then that it's a problem with midi rendering (FMOD might have had it's own midi-renderer).

As I understand the MIDI's play fine in (for example) WinAmp?

I don't have a FMOD version unfortunately. This is mainly because FMOD is properiatary and by using it I should pay. Guess what -- I don't have the money :-P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 13:13 »

I never tried playing the midi's in winamp or anything. My sound card doesn't actually have a midi driver (I don't think so anyways) But somehow it plays the midi music from the last version of drl. But it won't let me play them themselves as music files. Where do I get the mp3 files? How big are they? It may take me a while. I don't have any cd-r's at the moment. Thanks.
-Legend

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 16:13 »

Hi. I tried linking the mp3's today and they work. But I have to also comment the Music1 - intro file or it still crashes. The mp3's start at music 2. Which mp3 should I use for the intro music? You think that reason the midis won't play is because you switched from fmod to mixer?
-Legend

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 12:09 »

I don't have a FMOD version unfortunately. This is mainly because FMOD is properiatary and by using it I should pay. Guess what -- I don't have the money :-P.

I looked at the fmod page and It says that anyone can use fmod for free as long as their project that they're using fmod for is not for profit. I assume that Doomrl is going to remain free. In that case, it's perfectly fine to use fmod and not have to pay for it.
-Legend

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 13:06 »

The question is wether donationware is freeware. I don't want to have any problems with that. The FMOD page sais that it's free as long as you don't make any money from it. I do (or want to) by donations so that's why I'll stick to SDL.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:42 »

I've seen this error as well. Version 0.9.8.5 with midi and sound runs fine on WinXP, but the same distribution crashes with "etc/timidity/timidity.cfg: no such file or directory" on an old machine running Win98, unless you disable music in the ini file. I'm guessing Win98 midi support may be causing the problem.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Miskatonic

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 20:39 »

I just received this error message trying to run DoomRL on my crappy ancient Win98 laptop. Here's what I had to do to get MIDI working:

Go to the Multimedia control panel, the MIDI tab. That shows which MIDI devices are installed on your system. In my case, the default device was a Yamaha SoftSynth I had installed. I changed it to "ESS FM Synthesis", hit OK. Now DoomRL runs correctly. The quality of the MIDI is gross, but that's to be expected.

Hopefully that helps somebody.
Pages: [1]