Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 14:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I just had a "Eureka!" moment.  (Read 2921 times)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
I just had a "Eureka!" moment.
« on: December 11, 2011, 19:30 »

I remember when I would first do the Chained Court (with arena beaten) I would just grab the chainsaw and run out and kill some stuff.  I always figured that was a good way to do things, until I read one time about grabbing one of the berserk packs as well, to guarantee that my berserk would last long enough.  After that moment, I started having a lot more success in the Chained Court.  However, in attempt to move on to HMP, and even sometimes on HNTR in the slightly harder betas, I would kill the arena master but end up stranded outside with all the cacodemons or hell knights still alive and wandering around who knows where, and I would often be almost dead.  Since there's one remaining berserk pack just begging to heal me, I would save my medkits and usually die.

Then it clicked.  Why don't I kill those four bastards before I go after the arena master?  With this strategy I was able to kill the four hell knights, beat the arena master, and even clear out a lot of the formers on HMP before running out of berserk.  It took a couple of small medkits because I probably should have started off with green armor while all the formers were blasting me (I've never actually done the math on this), but now rather than having the four hell knights to worry about without any berserk, I just have to kill the straggling formers, which easily fall to my regular weapons.

I have to say, I felt rather proud about arriving at this strategy change on my own.  I feel like I'm understanding DoomRL more and more every day.  Do you guys have any similar moments you'd like to share for posterity?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
Re: I just had a "Eureka!" moment.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 22:19 »

I don't know if there's an established consensus on the best way to tackle Chained Court +, but I'd wager that the Arena Master generally gets focused first because he's an Arch-Vile, and capable of rezzing those 4 "other" demons anyway. Clever thinking, though, I might have to give it a shot.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 22:41 »

I don't remember the Arena Master ever getting close enough to the center building to revive the corpses around there, as long as you hustle.  But the beta has some AI changes that affect viles and I assume the arena master as well, so maybe this strategy wouldn't carry over to the current version.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 22:44 by Matt_S »

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 00:24 »

I usually just exited through the back door, shot the enemies on the sides from there (using the doorway to cornershoot) and only then got the chainsaw and berserk pack and charged through the front door.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

byrel

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 00:56 »

If you're lucky enough to run across a phase device (or better yet, a homing phase device) before the chained court, it can really make it simple. You are pretty likely to avoid the concentration of monsters near the base, and shorten the distance to the master (thus leaving you with more berserk time to kill thing on the way back.)
[22/13/7/1/0]
First Lieutenant
Hell Baron

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 16:13 »

I usually just exited through the back door, shot the enemies on the sides from there (using the doorway to cornershoot) and only then got the chainsaw and berserk pack and charged through the front door.
I just did a poor attempt at doing this, but I ended up panicking when a baron got in position to shoot at me.  I narrowly escaped with my life, and actually just ran out of berserk time before I killed the arena master, and that's after having to grab the second berserk pack after my panic.  It sounds like it would be a good strategy, because you can use the first berserk pack to heal from any damage taken fighting the enemies in the rear, but I couldn't pull it off.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 18:48 »

What I've been doing on CC+ when not doing AoB is I'll take out the rear enemies with the initial chanzerk, use a berserk pack for healing/armor, then get within shooting range of the Arena Master and just shoot him to death. Mostly because I can never get close enough to melee him without dying.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.
Pages: [1]