Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 07:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do you know if you're a good/bad DoomRL player?  (Read 3261 times)

Waterlemon

• Private
  • The lost soul hits you.
    • View Profile
How do you know if you're a good/bad DoomRL player?
« on: December 16, 2011, 20:54 »

The RNG will always be a factor in the game, but maybe I'm not supposed to be dying so much. Judging from what I've read and watched online, it's almost as if people tend to win more than they lose (or it could be that they end the game if it's going bad, not sure). Is it normal to have a high score roster of nothing but 50+ dead folk with just a few winners? .... I haven't even completed a UV game yet, let alone unlock Ao100.

At first, it seemed like a trial-and-error thing. I'm... I'm pretty sure I'm playing correctly, but... corner shooting and playing defensively only go so far, especially when Barons start spawning at Level 7. Am I doing something wrong?
[17/6/4/0/0] Cacodemon Warrant Officer

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know if you're a good/bad DoomRL player?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 22:12 »

I haven't even played a game on UV yet (though I have played a couple of games on N! just to see how hard it is; I killed a couple of formers in the base entry before dieing...), but I don't consider myself a bad player (nor a particularly good one :P ).  Lately I've been doing pretty good, even getting my first HMP win.  Nowadays I rarely die when I play on HNTR, and I'm getting to the point where I consistently get far in HMP also.  Note though that I also pretty much always play for 100% kills which results in more deaths.

Really though, skill is relative.  When I first started playing I sucked even on ITYTD, so I imagined a good player would be one who could beat the game.  Then I came to these forums after I finally won a few ITYTD games and saw how people were dominating me.  Then after a lot of work I finally won my first HNTR game.  I think the mortem shortening of the difficulties can help you determine what qualifies as good: ITYTD is (E)asy, HNTR is (M)edium, and HMP is (H)ard; UV an N! are completely different labels above and beyond hard, so beating them places one beyond "good" I would say.

There's a program called Roguelike Studio that lets you record your playthroughs of various roguelikes including DoomRL; I don't personally use it, but if you'd like criticism of your playstyle you could record your games and post them here.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 22:27 »

Playing defensively can only get you that far.  As the difficulty ramps up, you'll find that sometimes just getting out of the way is better than turtling and trying to out-gun the foes.  Only when you are At One with the AI will you be able to kill everything that you encounter.

tl;dr The coward's game is a worthy one to go for if winning is your only criterion.  Challenges and badge requirements are a different story altogether...
I computed, therefore I was.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 00:28 »

Is it normal to have a high score roster of nothing but 50+ dead folk with just a few winners?
I believe it is.It also depends on playstyle though.I started doomrl on htnr and i think i had even worse death/win ratio.
And about beating new difficulties:when i started playing on UV i just couldn't win.Nothink like mancubi instakill or smth like that.I just slowly lost ammo and medpacks until i died.It was sometimes so frustrating, i couldn't find the reason why i can't win and wanted to quit this game.Then i won and things went better.And i lived happily ever after until i went to N!.
Also some builds are just stronger than others, depending on your goal.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:38 »

Strangely enough, my kill record has gotten worse as the versions progress. I've become a better player, it's just not reflected in my player profile. Mostly I think it's because I stuff around for the first couple of weeks in each new release checking things out, save scumming to play with new assemblies etc. I used to just be concerned about winning, now I like trying out the new content, builds and medals/challenges.

That, and I'm stupid. If my missus asks me a long and involved question, I usually like to pretend that I can think, talk and play computer games at once. I can't. Deaths are inevitable in this situation. It's probably not her fault, although I blame her all the same.

So to answer your question, you know you're a bad player if you play like me.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:19 »

Is it normal to have a high score roster of nothing but 50+ dead folk with just a few winners? .... I haven't even completed a UV game yet, let alone unlock Ao100.
Yes. That's perfectly normal.
Don't worry about how much you die, really, as every death brings you closer to being a good player (as long as you TRY). This is a game where you just learn things the hard way. :P

Actually, my personal rule of thumb is: If I notice that I'm winning a lot lately, it means it's time for harder goals. :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 16:11 »

Is it normal to have a high score roster of nothing but 50+ dead folk with just a few winners? .... I haven't even completed a UV game yet, let alone unlock Ao100.
My two Czech helllers (no pun intended - hellers are really the Czech small change of CZK) of worth: YES. It is normal at rougelikes. Get used to dying. A lot. And then even more. And I do not mean to discourage you :)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Waterlemon

• Private
  • The lost soul hits you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:35 »

Okay. Thanks for the replies!

By the way Para, what other forums have you posted on before? You seem familiar.
[17/6/4/0/0] Cacodemon Warrant Officer

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 20:36 »

By the way Para, what other forums have you posted on before? You seem familiar.
Oh that could be anywhere... I'm all over the internet, lol.
And I've developed a few games too.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]