Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 09:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice on UV?  (Read 3926 times)

Cheesybox

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Advice on UV?
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:29 »

I understand this is supposed to be a hard setting, but it shouldnt be impossible. Farthest I've gotten is level 6 on UV, and that was because I was lucky enough to be near the stairs. Most of the time I end of dying on level 3 when the 5-7 hell knights spawn. How are you supposed to deal with them? Corner shooting doesn't help when 4 of them rush you or a former is popping shots in your back while you keep a hell knight at range with a shotty.
0.9.9.7: Cyberdemon Colonel
[26/20/18/4/1/0] [25M/62S/40A]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Advice on UV?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:41 »

UV can be a real bitch early on.
On dlvl1 and 2, try to not to take any damage at all cost. Then hope you find a chaingun before a dlvl3 HK finds you. And then you really just gotta be lucky to find some good vantage points to cornershoot the knights.
You will die early on in UV (typically dlvl3-6)... a lot. But keep trying and eventually you'll get lucky and get past that crappy part. That's the two cents I can give ya...
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 13:59 »

Cheesybox, you may want to try AoMC on UV.
Sure as hell this is not easier per se - but it _does_ teach you a thing or two about your movement, corner/radar-shooting and the like.
My personal advice I'm trying right now: High-power plasma gun (power mod first!) plus Ammochain. 96 damage for a single plasma cell should kill just about everything non-boss.
(Note: You may hate, really hate the randomness of "normal" UV games afterwards.)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Cheesybox

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 16:28 »

So it sounds like a basic strategy should be using a rapidfire build with a shotty for radar shooting?
0.9.9.7: Cyberdemon Colonel
[26/20/18/4/1/0] [25M/62S/40A]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 16:46 »

UV is by no means impossible. I've even recorded a few playthroughs of it on 0994:

Here's a successful AoMC run. One of the parts is missing but was probably the most boring anyway.
Here's a pretty good AoMr run. Not a win but I like to think that the RNG screwed me on this one.
The first three videos here are on AoHa. Managed to snag the Runner Gold, even!

My recommendation is to watch these videos a bit and see try to figure out what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Since you're having trouble on the early parts of the game, you won't need to watch everything, just the first video or two of each.

If you're having trouble because a ridiculous number of Hell Knights spawns on dlvl3 then you're probably getting bad rolls. I find that 3-4 of those guys is a more typical number, hopefully spread out across the level. Most of the time you need to be as cautious as possible and avoid ending up fighting more than you can handle: this is why the beginning of a level is often vastly harder than nearing the end of it.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 18:02 »

For a normal UV game (no challenges or weird medal attempts) I've found that shotgun based games to be the easiest whilst learning. With a couple of levels of reloader, even the basic shotgun starts to shine. I also recommend always doing Hell's Arena, the place is essentially made for shotguns and corner shooting, and once you have a RL your Hell Knight problems will dissappear.

A few builds that I found easy are:
Marine: Rel->Rel->BA (for the arena supercharge, MAD build later)
Technician: Rel->Rel->SM (slap your tech mod on your first shotgun, WK for modding later)
Scout: Int->Int->Rel (perfect corner shooting, maybe a juggler build for later)
Any: Fin->Jug->Rel (carry a shotgun in your current and prepared slot, switch as needed, juggle to RL if needed later).

These aren't necessarily the strongest builds, but they'll usually last throughout the game without a hitch. They also don't really screw up your build down the track. The lowering of reload times of the shotgun has made it a very nice weapon indeed.

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03 »

A quick question regarding the last advice - does Juggler also help with the time it takes to equip a new weapon from inventory? I thought it's 1s no matter Juggler or not.

Sirdec

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09 »

Juggler doesn't help with equipping weapons from inventory. Only Quick/swap and quick-keys weapons will take no time.

Thus it's a good idea if you have Juggler to allways keep a non-covered by quick-keys weapon in prepared slot, the Missile Launcher from the Wall comes easy to mind here.
Roguelikes beaten
DoomRL : a lot of wins, best one AoMr UV 100%
DCSS : 10 runer MdFi
AliensRL

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 13:47 »

...what are quick-keys weapons exactly? and does readying them without juggler comes faster than equipping weapons "manually", via inventory screen?

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 13:56 »

The weapons are

0: chainsaw
1: knife
2: pistol
3: shotgun
4: combat shotty
5: double shotty
6: chaingun
7: rocket launcher
8: plasma rifle
9: BFG9000

However, I think you still can put pretty much whatever weapon as "quickswap" if you fiddle around with keybindings.lua. Juggler will likely be changed later to remedy this IIRC.
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

byrel

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 17:03 »

Thanks ZicherCZ for the great advice! I haven't won even a HMP game yet, but with a little practice I just got my first UV win, on AoMC.

It isn't, as you pointed out, exactly easier (at least after the early game). It merely gives you a constant reminder whenever you lapse from paranoid play to merely cautious play (which is death in a RL).
[22/13/7/1/0]
First Lieutenant
Hell Baron
Pages: [1]