Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 17:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Assembled Mods  (Read 6579 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Assembled Mods
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32 »

I see nothing wrong in it having it's own key.
The problem with adding keys whenever we add a feature is wipe-face/clean-ears syndrome: we don't want to include commands that are only very rarely used, since it ramps up the curve for beginners all the more. Ideally I'd like to contain all of the possibilities of using items into "use", but that will probably require some very different changing of the UI system (which, as it turns out, gets placed behind quite a few other concerns for the time being).

A few more ideas to throw into the mix:
  • remove the distinction between "exotic" and "assembly"
  • assemblies may only be created if the schematic is known
  • any class can disassemble an item to obtain its schematic and a component
I gotta say, these are really tempting to play around with.

Others have suggested to me the possibility of removing the barrier between specials and assemblies before, and I think it could potentially work, but it'll completely change the way that assemblies are currently handled in the API. It would, however, require a whole lot of rebalancing and very likely a good chunk of things removed altogether. I'm already grinding just to get the assemblies changed around, so this wouldn't be in the works until the version after, if we have the chance to do it at all.

The "cannot assemble until learned" only works if we do the former, so that's even less likely to be anytime soon. It's very roguelike, albeit as cumulative experience rather than cumulative knowledge (so, really, the opposite of how it's typically done, but still very thematic). Disassembling would thus be more of a norm, so maybe it could use its own button at that point.

To be more on-topic, I don't think mod-assembling can be a part of 0.9.9.6: there's simply no time in the schedule to get it balanced properly. It's a cool idea, however, and I will certainly keep it in mind when we move to 0.9.9.7.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:42 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: 1 [2]  All