Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Smarter" Enemies (If I can call that)  (Read 3276 times)

Falker

• Private
  • What?
    • View Profile
"Smarter" Enemies (If I can call that)
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:50 »

I've just got an idea while playing DoomRL when I've got the tracking map...
I found that too easy to play when monsters don't follow, for example: Barrel explosions or loud gunshots.
So there's my idea: Add a new monster that would follow the source of the explosion/sound, or modify the current monsters so they will follow the source of sound.
Of course, they cannot hear everything from first end of the map to second, so every monster should have it's sound range, for example: Former Human would hear everything 3 tiles away, but he won't hear anything 4 tiles away, and the Pinkie would hear everything 7 tiles away, but he won't hear anything 8 tiles away.
Now just the explanation why the Former Human has a such small sound range: I'm pretty sure the walls aren't made of something that absorbs sound, so if for example, the situation would look like this: @#f, and you will fire your weapon, the monster will hear the sound through the wall and go to the sound source.

I don't know if that sounds complicated or not, but I hope you will understand what I am typing even when I have bad English. :)
Dah.

2DeviationsOut

Re: "Smarter" Enemies (If I can call that)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:53 »

Sounds good, except for the "hunting" enemies, obviously. Perhaps some weapons would have a larger sound signature, like a BFG or a rocket launcher, while the pistol could be quieter, and the blaster might be almost silent. This would definitely make the game easier on Melee characters, since they would probably have a small sound signature.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:59 »

I had this idea about a year ago, so you might find some possibilities in the thread I posted at the time. We might go somewhere with this, but only once sounds can actually be understood in four directions (currently there is only a "stereo" for noises coming from the left or right, with no regard to up/down). Otherwise it'd be unfair to the player!
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Gamer-man

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 19:54 »

if you want to make them smarter still, an easy way would be to change ranged enemies' pathing to approach your last known location.  For example, to approach you when corner shooting them, they should attempt to follow a path something like this:

X
     X . X
 . X . . . O
@#########
 .###

that way shooting enemies get in sight to shoot, and are harder to hit when blind chaingunning.

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:04 »

I agree with monster hearing ranges and weapon sound signiatures. If the radius of sound created by a weapon crosses into a monster's radius of hearing, monster goes "Hey dudes, some random guy's down here shooting stuff i'm gonna go check it out cause it's totally NOT a doomguy who'll kick my ass." (without the horrible attempt at humour by me)
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26 »

I believe monsters could hear you ever since Wolfenstein 3d, so I'm all for that.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 16:00 »

Sounds good, except for the "hunting" enemies, obviously. Perhaps some weapons would have a larger sound signature, like a BFG or a rocket launcher, while the pistol could be quieter, and the blaster might be almost silent. This would definitely make the game easier on Melee characters, since they would probably have a small sound signature.

That would really increase the difference between melee and ranged characters in a good sort of way. With melee I sometimes feel like Santa trying to lure formers into a dark doorway with medpacks so that I can have them one on one. It would give it a totally different feel to attempt to sneak up on enemies.

I had this idea about a year ago, so you might find some possibilities in the thread I posted at the time. We might go somewhere with this, but only once sounds can actually be understood in four directions (currently there is only a "stereo" for noises coming from the left or right, with no regard to up/down). Otherwise it'd be unfair to the player!

This is a interesting issue that I notice a lot when playing. I keep wishing that I could "hear" whether they're above or below me. Brainstorm?
Pages: [1]