Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Won't Fix][0.9.9.5 WinXP SP3] effect shown before cause  (Read 2062 times)

ortoslon

Effects of shots/explosions (walls having been destroyed, actors having been killed or knocked back, even the perk selection screen on gaining a level) are shown before projectile/explosion animations start. For example:

This might be useful for speedrunning but is confusing in regular play.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 15:22 by tehtmi »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [0.9.9.5 WinXP SP3] effect shown before cause
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:59 »

Yes I know. This is unfortunately something that cannot be simply fixed without rewriting and increasing the complexity of the animation engine.

Epic ASCII/gif skillz BTW :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ortoslon

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 18:35 »

But this worked correctly in 0.9.9! Has the console mode been broken to nudge people towards the upcoming graphical version? ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 18:40 by ortoslon »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 18:51 »

But this worked correctly in 0.9.9! Has the console mode been broken to nudge people towards the upcoming graphical version? ;)
What has changed since that time was the introduction of a concurrent (rather than consecutive) animation process, which allows for multiple enemies to fire at the same time, or for all barrel/BFG explosions to occur simultaneously. At the same time, there's some asynchronicity as a result. In essence, fixing all of the cases where asynchronicity occurs is a matter of writing exceptions for each and every case (and probably other stuff, since I don't know the full extent of the animation code), which is a lot of work for stuff that isn't often noticed. It's one of those projects that's on the backburner, because there are so many other things to take care of.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ortoslon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 00:42 »

a lot of work for stuff that isn't often noticed

In fact, that was the one of the first things I noticed in the first concurrently animated version that I played, because everything suddenly felt subtly wrong (I've only delayed reporting until now out of laziness), and it would be the first thing that I'll notice being fixed.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 14:36 »

In fact, that was the one of the first things I noticed in the first concurrently animated version that I played, because everything suddenly felt subtly wrong (I've only delayed reporting until now out of laziness), and it would be the first thing that I'll notice being fixed.
Not really sure what to tell you. The animation engine has been around since 0.9.9.2 (so close to a year) and only a few people since then have considered it bug-worthy. Unfortunately there's no time in the current schedule to go about improving it. It might be something to be considered after 0.9.9.6 is released, but I imagine the devs will still have their hands full with a lot of things.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]