Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Solved][0.9.9.5 WinXP SP3] no move-reload from prepared shell box  (Read 1770 times)

ortoslon

I have an empty tactical shotgun wielded, a full shell box in the prepaped slot, and Shottyman. Moving doesn't reload the shotgun.

EDIT: I have found a thread where tehtmi says that this is intended and solved:

This is intended. Shell boxes are a precious resource, and reloading with shottyman is based on your move speed instead of your reload speed. Thus, a shell box would provide no benefit to shottyman-style reloading, so it is usually preferable for shottyman to draw from the inventory.

There is one issue however; if the inventory happens to be empty, then shottyman won't work at all even if the player has a shell box. The solution to this was to allow ammo packs to be unloaded into normal ammo.

I am not convinced. Not knowing this counterintuitive quirk killed me: I ran out of regular shells, equipped the shell box and tried to reload from it. I didn't have time to unload the box. In other circumstances ammo boxes make reloading faster or at least not slower, one would expect them not to delay reloading by several turns.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 15:24 by tehtmi »

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.5 WinXP SP3] no move-reload from prepared shell box
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:33 »

I still believe that for an informed player this isn't much of an issue, but I'll concede that it is not intuitute.  This does seem to come up a lot, so I'll look into making it so shottyman will pull from an equipped ammo pack if the inventory has no ammo left.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42 »

I ran out of regular shells, equipped the shell box and tried to reload from it. I didn't have time to unload the box.
If you had time to equip the shell box, you had the time to unload it. The only problem here is that you didn't know this weird quirk ahead of time.

Really, I don't mind either way. We could always put a little disclaimer on Shottyman that it doesn't work with ammo packs instead.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 13:08 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 13:34 »

I went ahead and made it so shottyman will pull from an equipped ammo pack if the inventory is out of regular ammo.
Pages: [1]