Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tutorial mode  (Read 12635 times)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Tutorial mode
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:19 »

Yeah, I know the game is pretty simple as it is, but maybe a short guided tutorial might help to get the game nearer to the masses :P

Obviously, at the end of the tutorial it should refer to the help in case you need the keybindings again.

What do you think?
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Tutorial mode
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:03 »

Hmm, how do you imagine that?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:14 »

Hmm, how do you imagine that?

A option in the main menu that opens a tutorial mode and launches you into a predefinded level.

Then, some text messages start instructing you on what you should do, maybe with army-like messages, i.e:
* Ok, marine, start moving! (Use the Numeric Keypad to move in all 8 directions)
* Explore the area and report back. Good luck, soldier!

Then when you approach certain zones, more messages would appear:
* Shoot that training dummies, soldier! (press f to shoot, NumPad to change firing direction)
* Pick up this shotgun (press g)
* Your weapon has emptied, marine! Reload! (press r)
* Close the door! (press c)

And so on. It might help to get people into something that, at first glance, appears impossible, don't you think? ;)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:46 »

I like this idea, it could teach new players the basics easily.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:06 »

Well... I guess so. Though there's not really that much keybindings in DoomRL for new players to need a tutorial, IMO; when I started playing ADOM, for example, I had to learn many more keybindings without tutorial :-)
Angel of Death 007

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 06:10 »

Well, yes, but learning ADoM's keys was a hell at the beginning.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 06:30 »

Well... I guess so. Though there's not really that much keybindings in DoomRL for new players to need a tutorial, IMO; when I started playing ADOM, for example, I had to learn many more keybindings without tutorial :-)

Of course, but if you had the option of learning them with a tutorial, I think you might have used it ;) (at least, that's what I'd probably done)

The first time I played ADOM or ToME I almost died from a heart attack when I looked at the help. I thought it was impossible to learn all that keys! So much I stopped playing and until 2 or so years later I didn't re-enter the RL world. I finally learned them, but after a lot of time playing. DoomRL has many more, but if it is going to be a game for "everyone", in my opinion everything that can be done to help them get into the game might be nice.

Jim9137

• Rainbow Love Marine
  • Backer
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 08:43 »

The problem with Adom and ToMe was that most of the time, the keys made no sense at all. Especially with ToME, you'd be pressing Ctrl+alt+# and then typing "dig" or something absurd like that, to simply dig at the wall. It demanded that you'd type your own macros if you wanted the ease and convenience what DoomRL has.

DoomRL, ladies and gentlemen, has simple and quickly learnable keys. You move, you fire by pressing f, you reload with r, and you get stuff by pressing g. Anything beyond that and inventory is truly extra. The tutorial could be nice, but it isn't completely required, most people can pick this baby up with rather ease, I assure you.

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 10:39 »

I like this idea a lot.  DoomRL is already the 'starter drug' for the Roguelike genre. this would just make it official...  =D

You could either make "Tutorial" a new main menu option, or a new "difficulty."

The tutorial could be nice, but it isn't completely required, most people can pick this baby up with rather ease, I assure you.

Not necessarially...  one of the people I've hooked DoomRL on recently is having a bit of trouble with the entire roguelike concept.  Having a proper 'basic training' before going into Hell would be handy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:40 by Almafeta »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:46 »

Tutorial is needed. We, who learned roguelike a lot, now can say that it is easy. But one my friend, when i showed him DooMRL said: "It is cool game!.. If you want to dedicate all your life just to understand, what is happening."))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 11:18 »

Tutorial would be nice. But then again, is it really needed? The keys are simple enough as is, lol.

Jim9137

• Rainbow Love Marine
  • Backer
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 14:06 »

DoomRL was the first roguelike I properly tried. :(

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 11:17 »

DoomRL is the first rougelike I've beaten.

Anyway, I really like this idea. Set up the map like a marine training course, complete with dummies, armor, weapons, obstacle courses (example below), and at the end, have a demon appear that you have to kill with the weapons you've found. (Kind of like "Congratulations, Marine, you've succesfully completed your- (demon teleports in) WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!??" Then you kill it and the commander comes back on the radio. "Situation Green. All hostiles pacified. All knowledge of this event will be classified, Marine. I don't need to tell you what that means.")

Here's the map of the obstacle course:
Code: [Select]
##################################
#....##########..####............#
#....###...#.#.##................#
#..@..#.###.#.#######............#
#....#.##############............#
#....################............#

Yeah, it looks crappy, but I think you get the idea. Just something to get players used to using the Numpad to navigate (I'd never done it before I played a rougelike).
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24 »

And afterwards, the commander comes to kill you, nobody must know about this incident after all!

And if you kill the commander then ---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:38 »

And afterwards, the commander comes to kill you, nobody must know about this incident after all!

And if you kill the commander then ---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, I just thought it would be cool to foreshadow the incident by having a demon try to kill the marine during training.

How about this: Instead of the commander seeing the whole thing, all power goes out in the base. (Rooms go dark) The commander's voice goes to static, and a couple imps and a demon appear. After they die, their bodies disappear and power goes back to the base. The commander make some excuses for the power loss and the marine never mentions the attack. (Seeing as how the bodies just vanished, he has no proof and would likely be tossed in a padded room.)

In another idea for the tutorial (no foreshadowing this time) you go through all the stuff I described before, but the commander is also on the map (as a white @) and at the end he orders you to slaughter a helpless encampment of (i dunno, helpless people) at which point, you refuse. He immeadiately goes hostile and shoots one of them campers. Then you kill him. This explains why you were sent to mars but didn't go into phobos with the others.
Yeah. Like in the book. :(  I know...
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?
Pages: [1] 2  All