Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 00:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Assembly Combination Spreadsheet:  (Read 7531 times)

So_1337

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Hell Baron Major
    • View Profile
Assembly Combination Spreadsheet:
« on: January 12, 2012, 17:09 »

Having been away from the game a bit, I've returned and found myself having just as much fun as ever. In many runs, I've been overwhelmed by the different assembly combinations that I could piece together with the mods that I have in my bags, and I decided I would make keeping track of them easier on myself.

I created this spreadsheet that will alert you to the different assemblies that you can create given the combination of mods in your inventory. Simply plug what you're carrying into the right-side table, and it will do the rest. I've left some of the values populated just so that you can get an idea.

I'm aware that there were some changes to assemblies with 0.9.9.5, but I haven't yet found any difference in the actual combinations required. However, I've started fresh with this version with a new player file, so it may be that I just haven't come upon them yet. In any case, I plan to update this spreadsheet with any misinformation that needs to be fixed and with any other suggestions or requests that I receive. At the very least, I hope someone else finds this useful.

By request, when you first run the spreadsheet, it will be blank.

Depending upon your security settings, you will most likely be required to click the big "Enable Content" button at the top of the sheet to do the following step.

Go to the Options sheet and either click the Spoiler Mode button to populate all of the assemblies currently in game, or click the buttons for the individual assemblies that you have discovered thus far.

This will allow you to keep an eye out for assemblies that you already know without cluing you in on ones you haven't yet unlocked.

Thanks for reading.

Updates:
1.0.0 -- Original version.
1.0.1 -- Corrected terminology per thelaptop, thanks.
2.0.0 -- Major overhaul allowing both spoiler-happy and spoiler-averse marines to make use of the spreadsheet.

*New naming/versioning system. Names now reflect the latest version of the game they support and then a single-digit version number reflecting any changes I've had to make.

0.9.9.6 Beta 1 - v1 -- Supports both the latest beta and the most recent public version.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:00 by So_1337 »
You need to taste blood!
[24|16|9|1|0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: Assembly Combination Spreadsheet:
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 17:45 »

I like this!
I usually ignore pick up and fail to use mods simply because I don't want to be bothered with thinking in my coffee-break roguelike.
This spreadsheet will solve that problem.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 18:47 »

Nice job there.  Little nitpick: it's basic assembly, not normal.  =P
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43 »

Would it be possible to remove spoilers from it, so I could use it with just the assemblies I've already found?

I decided to find all of them the hard way (Hell's armory, there's no way I'll guess all of them by myself)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13 »

Would it be possible to remove spoilers from it, so I could use it with just the assemblies I've already found?

I decided to find all of them the hard way (Hell's armory, there's no way I'll guess all of them by myself)
Certainly not possible by Excel itself.
But for someone who is skilled with ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) and some programming skills, this could be an interesting challenge :).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

So_1337

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Hell Baron Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:22 »

I can think of ways to do it with Excel, but they would take some work (both on my part and on the users') and would involve macros, which are always a touchy subject security-wise. Essentially, what I'm thinking is that you would load up the base spreadsheet and either click a button for spoiler mode (which would populate the sheet as you see it now) or a button for each different assembly that you could click once you've discovered it, which would populate that entry in the table.

I like the idea, but I don't think I'm motivated enough to perform that much more work. Also, I know that sort of implementation would still have some pitfalls.

EDIT: Looks like I was motivated after all. Edited the original topic to include this feature as version 2.0.0.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:21 by So_1337 »
You need to taste blood!
[24|16|9|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37 »

Well, I have no idea how it works, since I didn't want to even look at it (I just know that some assembly combination would get stuck in my memory), but if you removed all the assembly data and let me fill in the ones I know, would that work, or would it result in just an empty spreadsheet?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:54 »

Can't tell about the sheet itself, but ...
I just know that some assembly combination would get stuck in my memory
did you know that you can review your previously in-game discovered assemblies by "A" command?
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59 »

Can't tell about the sheet itself, but ...did you know that you can review your previously in-game discovered assemblies by "A" command?
He's probably referring to the assemblies he's never actually found before. Since he wants to be spoiler-free, he doesn't want to see any that haven't been found on his file.

Now that I have a little more experience with Wikimedia stuff, I might be able to include some spoiler UI to the more spoilerific pages. ATM the Wiki is pretty much all spoilers all the time, but I can understand if some people want to know some stats that are otherwise impossible to find, without being subjected to things they haven't seen before.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:07 »

Yeah, I try not to go through the wiki to find out about stuff I haven't encountered, but once I accidently assembly an elephant gun, I go straight there to find out what's so great about it.

GrimmC

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 16:19 »

Yeah, I try not to go through the wiki to find out about stuff I haven't encountered, but once I accidently assembly an elephant gun, I go straight there to find out what's so great about it.

I'm with this guy 8-)

So_1337

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Hell Baron Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22 »

There, re-worked the idea so that you won't get spoiled unless you choose to. Happy hunting :)
You need to taste blood!
[24|16|9|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 15:06 »

There, re-worked the idea so that you won't get spoiled unless you choose to. Happy hunting :)

You, sir, are amazing.

So_1337

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Hell Baron Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 07:55 »

As I have been playing the new beta build lately and some assembly combinations have been changed, I updated my spreadsheet. However, I retained the 0.9.9.5 data, and the spreadsheet supports both versions. There is a separate sheet for each version and the options panel contains a button for spoiler-mode of either and then individual buttons for both versions.

I figure that I'm spoiling some of the upcoming changes by posting this, but I've gotten used to this spreadsheet while playing, so I figure I ought to support anyone else for whom I have made it a crutch.
You need to taste blood!
[24|16|9|1|0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10 »

I figure that I'm spoiling some of the upcoming changes by posting this
Just a reminder that any changes in beta aren't set in stone and you'll probably end up having to update every time we get a new one. (I haven't actually checked this out, but if it happens to contain full stats then I'd prefer you post a separate beta version on the beta forums.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1] 2  All