Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possible Suggestions for Making Angel of Marksmanship a Bit More Possible  (Read 4504 times)

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I'll copy/paste my message about AoM from betaforums here:

I'll collect here some possible solutions to AoM being so damn hard. Well, actually the only big problem in AoM is dealing with Cybie, I can get most of my characters there easily on NTR.

• Let the player choose his/her starting weapon
  • Place special pistols to Hell's Armoury, so that the player can choose pistol(s) of his choise
  • Let the player switch his/her main weapon on the go
  • Make Dualgunner a 2 level trait and/or add +dmg and/or reloading bonus to it
  • Add those weapon enchancement things you were talking about at #DoomRL

If both 1 and 2 would be implemented, the player would first get a pistol of his/her choice at the beginning, and could then get another pistol of his/her choice at Hell's Armoury.

There was also some talk about an additional advanced trait adding more dmg to pistols, but as I see it, an AoM already takes a shitload of traits to work properly (that is, shoot at least 3 times per 1000 energy) and reloader is also a must have against Cybie.

The biggest problem in this is that you will be fighting Cybie with default hitpoints and no TaN or you will be taking a lot of time reloading those pistols against Cybie.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile

Let the player choose his/her starting weapon

I'm not sure what you mean here... AoM already starts with an advanced pistol, why would you want to change that for something else?

Place special pistols to Hell's Armoury, so that the player can choose pistol(s) of his choise

I like that very much. One advanced and/or rapidfire pistol in Armoury - or Halls of Carnage - wouldn't hurt.

Let the player switch his/her main weapon on the go

Agreed. Methinks player should be able to switch the weapon if he has another pistol in the "prepared" slot.

Make Dualgunner a 2 level trait and/or add +dmg and/or reloading bonus to it

Bonuses are better.

Add those weapon enchancement things you were talking about at #DoomRL

I don't know what those weapon enhancements were, but I'm all for it :-).
I also remember there was a suggestion about a plasma pistol, and that the feelings toward it were generally positive. Perhaps you could put such weapon in Mortuary (*evil chuckle*), or even create a new special shoot-out level where it could be found ;-)
Angel of Death 007

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile

ok, here goes.

I'lm posting this even though Kornel is currently working on some upgrading solution for pistols and I also want this to be somewhat about pistols in general and not AOM specific. Right now goin melee is a doable strategie even in not AoB games and challenges because berserker packs, berserker effect in general, chainsaw (more damage than rocket launcher) and LS are strong enough to make that route possible, but the same can't be said about pistols.

So here are my thoughts and some suggestions.
Also, there is the big AoM discussion thread over in the discussion forum.

SKills/Traits
changes:
Dualgunner: I think Dualgunner should be buffed the way Kornel suggested on IRC. Make it 140%/100%. Havin 2 20% steps is too little a bonus since the base speed used for dualgunner is the already enhanced speed from the pistol (see thread).

new traits:
Dual Reloader: One level, requires Dualgunner(2), increases reload speed on special reload (ONLY on special reload) to XX%. RIght now I am unsure what a good number would be. reloading one gun takes 12 turns and reloading both obviously 24. 150% would mean 18 for both which is a reduction of 6 (=25%) and thus only 5% more than reloader(1) ad also doesn'T work on single pistol reload. Thus I would amke it 100%. THat would be a reduction from 24 to 12 (50%) but still be limited to special reload and to pistols (in case of non AoM games).
The reason this skill should come after dualgunner(2) is twofold. a) it means a total of 4 skill picks are required to acess it and b) it is  supposed to enhance the dualgunner/pistol line and havin it require reloader(2) would sorta break that imo.

Son of John Wayne: One level, requires Soag(3), increases pistol damage by an additional 4 points (total of +10 with Soag(3)). Maxing Soag is required anyway so plcing this in top would be a nice bonus.

For those concerned that this might make pistols imbalanced remember:
including the changes/additions I listed you'd need 7 skills { Soag(3), Dg(2), Dr(1), SoJW(1) } to make your advanced pistols do 2d5 + 10 damage, which is an average of 16 damage before armor and only to one target. Granting 7 skills to a normal character who can wield an advanced BFG for an average base damage of 40 to multiple enemies is still stronger in most situations, especially Cybie with his 4 armor which reduce the pistol damage by 25% on every singe shot.

ok, where was I....
ahhh, yes.
About upgrades, special pistols, and new pistols:
I think rapid/fastload should not be possible on pistols because it makes dualgunner tricky. Right now the game only uses the first pistol for determining the attack speed and it for the best. Imagine havin one pistol fire every 400 and the other every 450 energy. You'd either waste 50 energy waiting for the second one to fire once the first was fired or start firing the first one again but then you'd be in the same situation once the second one fired: wait for the first one to fire (already 50 energy 'into' firing) and waste 250 energy or start a second shot. Same goes for reloading.
There should only be damage and ammo capacity mods for pistols. Those are also the mos timportant modifications because damage output is the main problem and Soag & Dg already offer good speed bonuses.

As for new pisols. I'd like to see plasma pistols (as I mentioned on IRC).
I'd make them 2d6, 8 round per clip, and obviously energy based and put two in the armory. The armory contains nothing special right now. RL can be found in the arena. The Wall, Chained Court, Mortuary, Cathedral, Halls of Carnage all contain weapons you won'T find anywhere else, so giveing something to the Armory wouldn't hurt. It also comes after the arena so you can have rocket launcher, chaingun (both from arena) and chainsaw (Chained Court) by then.

As an additional boon you could make the armory a guaranteed level on AoM.

That'S all for now.
ANyway, let's see how Kornels new upgrades work out :D

Edit: Was wrong link as Blade said. Corrected it,
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:04 by DaEezT »
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka

Wow, a really big one)) I agree to almost all suggestions of DaEezT, and i think that if such challenges, as AoM are exist, then must be things in game, that are especially for this challenges. Only one correct - imho you are using not right url. It sends to AoD thread topic.))
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Let the player choose his/her starting weapon

I'm not sure what you mean here... AoM already starts with an advanced pistol, why would you want to change that for something else?

Because right now rapid pistol would be much better. If you read my post at the AoM thread, you'll see that with correct traits it will only take 56 (or even less) energy to shoot with a rapid pistol in main hand. Shooting a normal weapon with no speed traits takes 1000 energy, so you could shoot almost 20*2 bullets in the time that you normally only shoot once. Though this does not include reloading, which takes a total 2400 energy (or 24 turns), so it isn't actually that fast. But still, I'd much rather have a rapid pistol as my main weapon with the current speed system than an advanced one. I could always use the advanced one as my second pistol.

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile

Idea for the plasma pistol:  (1d8)x2, 20 shots, firing speed of fastload pistol.  It could be the special prize of a special stage, the BFG of the Marksmanship challenge.

Of course, you'll have to fire at the advanced pistol's speed, anyways, but...

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile

I like those ideas, beating the Cybie on AoM seems a bit difficult using just pistols, so all those bonuses would indeed be nice.

As for the plasma pistol, that would be pretty cool, but doesn't it seem a tad "unDoomish?"

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I like those ideas, beating the Cybie on AoM seems a bit difficult using just pistols, so all those bonuses would indeed be nice.

As for the plasma pistol, that would be pretty cool, but doesn't it seem a tad "unDoomish?"

A Soul Cube is undoomish.

A Plasma pistol is badass. I'd like to be the first to welcome our new Plasma pistol overlords.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile

Followed by rocket-pistols and plasma-gloves ^^

Come to think of it, Fallout Tactics has a glove with a modified shotgun straped to it for a blast of a punch. Could make AoB a little more interesting... But rather Undoomish...
Pages: [1]