Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Need AoB Advice  (Read 7226 times)

FantomFang

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Need AoB Advice
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:28 »

Just passed the City of Skulls on this HNTR AoB run (saw my first Firestorm pack ever too...) and had a few questions, since I've never been NEARLY this far on AoB:

1) How do you do handle the really strong late-game enemies in a melee build? Specifically, I'm thinking of guys like the archviles and mancubi.
2) What should I used my mods on? So far, I've gotten a lot of agility that I've thrown onto armor when I could (the better to reach people to chainsaw them!). Will I be able to turn the cybernetic armor I just got into nanofiber cybernetic armor with another P, and is it worth doing, or is the speed loss too much? Also, since I can't check without starting my game up from save, can i throw a second bulk mod on my chainsaw without whizkid?
3) Just any other quick tips? Which levels should I avoid like the plague?

Don't worry about spoilers.
Thanks!

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Motorheadbanger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Need AoB Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:49 »

Cyber armor is no longer moddable, and you cannot mod anything two times without WK.
Also, about big baddies: when meleeing, usually I just get close enough to them and bash ALL the HP out of them. Better if zerking, best if invulnerable.

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:51 »

The really strong enemies: without Fireangel, either charge in (running on), try to lure/wait around corners to minimize fire, or just ignore them and go elsewhere.  Fire resistance helps a lot. especially with the new Viles - fireproof red armour can be great.

You can't mod the cybernetic armour anymore unless you're a technician.  I've liked the nanofiber cybernetic before, but I'd say Hellrunner and / or agility-tactical boots is essential as you get VERY slow.  You can't double-bulk your chainsaw even with Whizkid, melee weapons are a bit more like armour/boots (only one of each except assemblies)

I'm not sure how Spider's Lair will be on AoB - arachnotrons are pushovers in melee, but they won't start out in melee range, and even camping one teleporter leaves another with good sight of you.  They also won't trigger berserker from hitting you, as far as I can tell.  On the other hand, TaN is quite effective against them.  On that note, I think Ironman with the Marine bonus can make it hard for even the mancubi to trigger berserker, which is how I lost somebody in the Vaults.  Mortuary should be fine for you, especially with all those skulls, but do keep a homing phase as it's easy to get into trouble.

Finesse is pretty good for you, I'd take some of that.  Whizkid is probably not worth the effort as by the time you can make use of it on your weapon you should already have the Longinus Spear or Azrael's Scythe.  If you do take whizkid and can make modded fireproof red armour or cerberus green/exotic armour, it would be quite nice but I still think you shouldn't bother.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10 »

Remember the homing phase devices. They *will* save your life.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13 »

Fire-proof red armor is probably the best thing against late game enemies.  Because you don't have to worry about modding weapons on AoB (I don't bother modding the chainsaw anymore, even in normal games) you can make some snazzy armor.  In addition to the fire-proof red, power red is nice against non-fire spewing enemies or even against the fire enemies, and bulk red is also pretty decent, especially since you can just turn it into more fire-proof armor when you want to.  Agility modding red armor is alright as long as you have the armor to spare, but there can be some pretty bad red armor shortages in my experience.

In terms of combat strategy, hiding around corners is the way to go.  You can charge up to revenants and maybe arch-viles if you're sure they don't have backup, but I wouldn't do that with mancubi; they are pretty good at dealing knockback, I think even with Badass, though if you have to approach them, zig-zag a bit.

I've never had issues with Spider's Lair on AoB, except for using one or two large med-packs.  I just teleport right away, and hide at the edge of one of the walls.  If a spider teleports and is close to me, I charge in and kill it; otherwise I go on the other side of the wall and wait for it to peek around the corner and kill it (same applies if it moves in from the center).  It takes a lot of patience and caution, but it's pretty simple.

FantomFang

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 14:28 »

Remember the homing phase devices. They *will* save your life.

Haha yeah. I'd like to attempt a YAAM, but if I think things are going south I'll be ready to use those and just book it.

UPDATE:
Of course, I think I didn't fully clear the Halls of Carnage when I did it... completely forgot about that level lol. ANYWAYS! Just beat the UC for the first time ever (hell, the first time I've ever attempted that level since I've never been that far in before with a melee character). Haven't tested out the spear yet, but the damage looks like it's going to be so much fun. Armor's not looking so well though unfortunately - just haven't been getting it to drop. Hopefully I start getting some better item drops, although i still have a couple of large medpacks and skulls for emergencies, along with a couple of each phase device. I should definitely attempt the Mortuary btw right? Since I hear there's a set bonus for using the AA with the LS? Also, went ahead and picked up a level of Finesse, going to grab a second at 10 and then attempt to finish out Tough as Nails by 12.

UPDATE 2:
I won! Took me a dozen plays, most of which were characters that died before they got off the ground. Mortem to be posted shortly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 17:48 by FantomFang »

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 13:38 »

Uggh... I'm trying for the Sunrise Iron Cross on ITYTD but the bruiser brothers keep owning me. What's the best way to do that fight without taking too much damage? I'm playing the standard Bru->Bru->Ber, I think I took them on when I was level 3? Is that too underleveled or is something wrong with the way I do it? I usually run up to them, place myself in the middle, and wail away.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 13:40 »

Uggh... I'm trying for the Sunrise Iron Cross on ITYTD but the bruiser brothers keep owning me. What's the best way to do that fight without taking too much damage? I'm playing the standard Bru->Bru->Ber, I think I took them on when I was level 3? Is that too underleveled or is something wrong with the way I do it? I usually run up to them, place myself in the middle, and wail away.

There's always the option to run around them and skip them...
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

tinyrodent

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 14:00 »

Maybe soften them up with a few shotgun blasts around the corner first?
Arch-Vile Major

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 17:19 »

There's always the option to run around them and skip them...

Can you actually do that??? The things you learn... Does that work for cybie too?

Maybe soften them up with a few shotgun blasts around the corner first?

That's a good idea... I wish I'd thought of that myself :)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 17:21 »

Can you actually do that??? The things you learn... Does that work for cybie too?

Only on AoPc - so no to Cybie for the most part
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 00:31 »

Only on AoPc - so no to Cybie for the most part
But with the bruiser brothers just running around them is a good tactic - unless you're trying for Strongman Diamond/Platinum which require 100% kills.
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 00:45 »

But with the bruiser brothers just running around them is a good tactic - unless you're trying for Strongman Diamond/Platinum which require 100% kills.

Another question: is there any way at all to lure enemies other than giftdropping?  I haven't got there yet on a fist only run, but from doing knife  runs the mancubi/vile packs always gave me fits when going for YAAM.

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:28 »

Yes, though it's a bit more risky. If you step out and let an enemy spot you, then run behind cover, it will usually give chase. Don't run too far though, or it might lose interest and you'll have to lure it again. Works great against sergeants.
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50 »

Moving diagonally is incredibly important, since it makes enemies more likely to miss you. Also, I tend to use Malicious Blades for my AoB runs, since it gives good resistances which then stack on top of my armor, and I can easily get WK2 for a nice backup armor set of P-Mod Nanofiber Red. Also, that way if I find a Nano pack I can either make P-Mod Power Armor, or my favorite, A-Mod Gravity Gothic boots.
Pages: [1] 2  All