Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Undoomish, but DoomRLish  (Read 9154 times)

Neth

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Undoomish, but DoomRLish
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:50 »

I think, that "Doomishmania" must end, since DoomRL turned to a "selfworking project". Something (like AoD) is already implemented, and I prefer if this will not be end of "Angels vs Death and Deamons alliance" theme
Own history, some new weaps, but other can be from Doom2...
hmm its just an IMHO, so...
but I think it will be good to think about what I think =)
"Hell is too warm, Heaven is too cold..." Aehnios

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Undoomish, but DoomRLish
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 13:01 »

Please discuss!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 13:01 »

Well, I agree that it's positive to implement some new things, but if the Doom "feel" is lost, then, even as a separate project, it should no longer be called DoomRL, and it may lose it's personality, that it's what makes it stand among other RLs.

So, my opinion is that it's good to implement things that, on one way or another, stay true to the classic Doom nature.

Moreover, Kornel said that the final version will be moddable, so people will be able to add his or her own things to play. :)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 13:04 »

Well, I agree that it's positive to implement some new things, but if the Doom "feel" is lost, then, even as a separate project, it should no longer be called DoomRL, and it may lose it's personality, that it's what makes it stand among other RLs.

So, my opinion is that it's good to implement things that, on one way or another, stay true to the classic Doom nature.

Moreover, Kornel said that the final version will be moddable, so people will be able to add his or her own things to play. :)
ABSOLUTELY agreed!
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Neth

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 13:20 »

Open vocabluary and find word DOOM:"an unpleasant or disastrous destiny"
so it still can be called doom

it's first

second: I have already played doom 1,2,3,2d and others and I killed lots of zombies, deamons... but DEATH=) hmmm that make me think will I play this game from doom seria that is "best game what I love but I had enough of it", or not, because all of it I have already seen... so new will be good. it nice to see something diffirent from old doomish atmosphere

third: modmaking... hmmmm this I hate in the game... mission making, scenario making - I love(I'm a sort of profcreator... my favorite task is to create "hell yes brainf***" missions=)), but modding... only if you, Kornel, trust those moders. you ask why? Look at GTA3... good game... but mods.... OMG OMG OMG OGM OGM OGM=) game atmosphere lost, something awfull can be adden and reputation of the game goes to a HELL

fourth: it nice to see a "tactica control" in this game... lots of strat need to be in this game... think - STRAT - IS UNDOOMISH =) EXP - IS UNDOOMISH, so... game is doom like, or better to say "another leaf (or node) of Doom tree" ... and it is a good "leaf"...
last(offtopic): sorry Kornel... but graphic ****... for me... it's nothing, game coll, graphics do not matter... but for 95% of my friends its better to have a graphic game, not ASCII... but still good idea is to create a graphic verion and ASCII version

huh... for now it's all

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 13:36 »

Open vocabluary and find word DOOM:"an unpleasant or disastrous destiny"
so it still can be called doom

it's first

Yeah, but it could also be named "MarineWithGunsRL", for that matter:P

second: I have already played doom 1,2,3,2d and others and I killed lots of zombies, deamons... but DEATH=) hmmm that make me think will I play this game from doom seria that is "best game what I love but I had enough of it", or not, because all of it I have already seen... so new will be good. it nice to see something diffirent from old doomish atmosphere

It already IS something different from that Doom atmosphere ;) Yet you can still recognize the Doom factor in the game.

third: modmaking... hmmmm this I hate in the game... mission making, scenario making - I love(I'm a sort of profcreator... my favorite task is to create "hell yes brainf***" missions=)), but modding... only if you, Kornel, trust those moders. you ask why? Look at GTA3... good game... but mods.... OMG OMG OMG OGM OGM OGM=) game atmosphere lost, something awfull can be adden and reputation of the game goes to a HELL

If you don't like a mod, you don't use it. Simple as that. Don't want ANY mod? Play the base game. It's not mandatory to use mods in games. Doom and Doom2 had LOTS of mods, yet I can still play it as it were the first time I played it!

Imagine: Plasma pistol (which is more WH40k like than Doomish) mod. You do want a plasma pistol? Fine, you install the mod. You don't like it? You don't install it.

The same with GTA. I can play GTA without installing mods. So this game will not be different ;)

fourth: it nice to see a "tactica control" in this game... lots of strat need to be in this game... think - STRAT - IS UNDOOMISH =) EXP - IS UNDOOMISH, so... game is doom like, or better to say "another leaf (or node) of Doom tree" ... and it is a good "leaf"...

Make a RL without strategy that can still be enjoyable and the tell me how you did it :P

The thing with RLs is, precisely, that you can meditate your actions and do whatever you feel it's necessary doing the next turn.

Also, as I already said before, the fact it's turn-based is a GREAT jump from classic Doom. So the idea is to retain as much Doom atmosphere as possible while still being a new and original game, in my opinion :)

last(offtopic): sorry Kornel... but graphic ****... for me... it's nothing, game coll, graphics do not matter... but for 95% of my friends its better to have a graphic game, not ASCII... but still good idea is to create a graphic verion and ASCII version

huh... for now it's all

With this I agree: Graphics are for heretics!:P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 13:46 »

I have mixed feelings about this idea. I believe that DoomRL has been originally meant as a tribute to the original Doom (ah, the game of my youth! ;-)), and it should probably stay as it is, with some enrichments like modified but original weapons, original monsters and original story (AoD is a nice feature, but I wouldn't want DoomRL to grow too much fantasyish).

However, for a DoomRL2, or someting like "Greater than Doom", it might not be bad - I'd probably want to stick to original Doom atmosphere, but in addition to RPG incorporate some adventure features: an extended storyline about eternal fight between Good and Evil, in which our unfortunate marine is caught, a concept of hubs similar to Hexen (you can re-visit previous levels within one "hub"), solving puzzles, monsters to interact (e.g. Angel of Death might tempt you to join him), etc....

Of course, Kornel is the ultimate authority - he will decide what turn DoomRL (and its potential successors) will ultimately take ;-)
Angel of Death 007

Neth

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 13:52 »

Yeah, but it could also be named "MarineWithGunsRL", for that matter:P
after this, you can name it DOOMEDRL... =) think this better
It already IS something different from that Doom atmosphere ;) Yet you can still recognize the Doom factor in the game.
Yep=) but we go out of topic - I think that it better to "sacrafice" Doomishnes to make game sort of unical, maybe=P
If you don't like a mod, you don't use it. Simple as that. Don't want ANY mod? Play the base game. It's not mandatory to use mods in games. Doom and Doom2 had LOTS of mods, yet I can still play it as it were the first time I played it!

Imagine: Plasma pistol (which is more WH40k like than Doomish) mod. You do want a plasma pistol? Fine, you install the mod. You don't like it? You don't install it.

The same with GTA. I can play GTA without installing mods. So this game will not be different ;)
Hmmm but I still think that its better that mods will make not "all the people in the world" but only a "bunch of trusted programmers"=)
Make a RL without strategy that can still be enjoyable and the tell me how you did it :P

The thing with RLs is, precisely, that you can meditate your actions and do whatever you feel it's necessary doing the next turn.

Also, as I already said before, the fact it's turn-based is a GREAT jump from classic Doom. So the idea is to retain as much Doom atmosphere as possible while still being a new and original game, in my opinion :)
Yep, you right... but its possible to make a RL game without strat
and again YEP - its a great jump... but many of things in the game changed... so... and I think theme "Angels, Death, Deamons" is more native for Kornel, isn't it?=)
With this I agree: Graphics are for heretics!:P
"graphics are for HereticRL" maybe :P
but still need to say... I like an ASCII version

Neth

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 13:57 »

I'd probably want to stick to original Doom atmosphere, but in addition to RPG incorporate some adventure features: an extended storyline about eternal fight between Good and Evil, in which our unfortunate marine is caught, a concept of hubs similar to Hexen (you can re-visit previous levels within one "hub"), solving puzzles, monsters to interact (e.g. Angel of Death might tempt you to join him), etc....

yep... I like this idea :P
It's good to see marine in choice between good and evil... may be NPC dialogs will be a good addition, and storyline... and... and... and unlinear storyline ("what side you'll join?")

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 14:12 »

yep... I like this idea :P
It's good to see marine in choice between good and evil... may be NPC dialogs will be a good addition, and storyline... and... and... and unlinear storyline ("what side you'll join?")

If you don't mind not being in Doomland you can also play other RLs that have lots and lots of content! Hengband (if I remember correctly) is an Angband variant with demons and angels, there's ADOM with various factions (Law, Balance and Chaos) NPCs and storyline, there's Dwarf Fortress with even more freedom on what you do... the list is endless :)

Also, Kornel is going to do that GenRogue thingie with lots of content all over it. Maybe that is what you want!

Neth

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 14:22 »

what i wait? I wait for a RPG with unlimited abilities... lots of abilities and lots of plans I planned for my future=) at least I'll start to program a some sort of great RPG game when I "reach" 16 years=) yep I'm 15 year old programmer, it's cool :P

my favorite things in the games - unlinear, puzzlesolves, teamworking (even with NPC =P). And my "favorite of the most favorites" is history of the world of this game... it thats make you get really deep inside the atmosphere. Let player feel 100 tons weight of choice... so he will think much better, but still it a rpg-shooter, so enemies let you think faster=)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 14:25 by Neth »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 04:09 »

I'll put it simple - major changes (i.e. "undooomish" things) to DoomRL as it is now - NO. Options to mod-in such things after 1.0.0 - eh, why not... as long as I can choose not to use them, then I'm not concerned.

what i wait? I wait for a RPG with unlimited abilities... lots of abilities and lots of plans I planned for my future=) at least I'll start to program a some sort of great RPG game when I "reach" 16 years=) yep I'm 15 year old programmer, it's cool :P
Uhhhh... you wait for Genrogue? xP
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 10:32 »

yep I'm 15 year old programmer, it's cool :P

Hey, join the club! I think I was 16 when I first met Kornel... It changed my life forever.
What kind of stuff do you program? Ever had a look at Valkyrie library? That one literally redefines the awesomeness itself..

"Uhhhh... you wait for Genrogue? xP"

Hey, "Amok" did evolve into "Dwarf Fortress"; you can't be completely sure DoomRL won't evolve into GenRogue one day...

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 16:41 »

yep I'm 15 year old programmer, it's cool :P

Hey, "Amok" did evolve into "Dwarf Fortress"; you can't be completely sure DoomRL won't evolve into GenRogue one day...

Lol, we can only hope and pray that it would!

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 06:02 »

If Genrogue were still the roguelike vision that Kornel had, it may have been possible, however considering he doesnt consider it a roguelike anymore, I doubt that will happen :)

Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net
Pages: [1] 2  All