Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoPu|58%|YAVP] This is a pretty tough challenge  (Read 2145 times)

Missileboater

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[U|AoPu|58%|YAVP] This is a pretty tough challenge
« on: January 24, 2012, 19:25 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.5) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Missileboater, level 9 Cacodemon 1st Lieutenant Scout,
 sacrificed himself to kill the Mastermind on level 8 of Hell.
 He survived 86114 turns and scored 152985 points.
 He played for 1 hour, 22 minutes and 13 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 490 out of 831 hellspawn. (58%)
 He was an Angel of Purity!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 3
  Levels completed : 0

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Inquisitor Gold Badge
  Inquisitor Platinum Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #>.........................................................
  #..........................................................
  #...................&......................................
  #.................X......................................&.
  #>.........................................................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/80   Experience 34358/9
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Finesse          (Level 1)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)

Int->Int->HR->Iro->HR->Iro->Iro->DM->Fin->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   blue armor [1/2] (27%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   assault shotgun (7d3) [6/6] (T1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   protective boots [2/2] (96%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [40/40] (A1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1] (B1)
    [b] red armor [4/4] (79%)
    [c] red armor [4/4] (162%) (B)
    [d] chainsaw (4d6)
    [e] shotgun shell (x50)
    [f] shotgun shell (x50)
    [g] shotgun shell (x34)
    [h] rocket (x3)
    [i] power cell (x50)
    [j] power cell (x30)
    [k] power cell (x50)
    [l] power cell (x50)
    [m] power cell (x50)
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] envirosuit pack
    [q] bulk mod pack
    [r] shell box (x100)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 25% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 20%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

58 former humans
    36 former sergeants
    23 former captains
    104 imps
    40 demons
    138 lost souls
    16 cacodemons
    12 hell knights
    17 barons of hell
    8 arachnotrons
    12 former commandos
    9 pain elementals
    5 revenants
    5 mancubi
    5 arch-viles
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  He left level 3 as soon as possible.
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 7 he witnessed the Wall.
  Not knowing what to do, he left.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  He left level 18 as soon as possible.
  Level 19 was a hard nut to crack!
  On level 19 he entered the Vaults.
  He came, he saw, but he left.
  He left level 21 as soon as possible.
  Level 22 blasted him with unholy atmosphere!
  He left level 23 as soon as possible.
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He nuked level 24!
  On level 24 he finally sacrificed himself to kill the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You enter the damned city of Dis...
 Are you sure you want activate the thermonuclear bomb? [Y/n] You use a
 thermonuclear bomb. Warning! Explosion in 10 seconds!
 Run - direction...
 Warning! Explosion in 9 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 8 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 7 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 6 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 5 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 4 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 3 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 2 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 1 seconds!
 You feel relatively safe now. Congratulations! You defeated the Spider
 Mastermind! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

16 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 5 of those were killed.
 1 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.

11 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 4 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 6 killed the bitch and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart hell itself.

This was probably the hardest non-Nightmare game I've played so far. Powerups of any kind aren't usable at all. This one rule causes a lot of problems. First, the major one, is that powerups are still generated, and thus takes up space that could've been used to generate a medpack or a piece of armor. At least in Impatience players are able to use the items, but here the powerups might as well be empty dungeon squares. Second, the player have to get into the habit of stocking up on armors. Without armor shards, the only way to repair armor is by armor repair depots. Finding the repair levers are pretty rare, so there really isn't any way to depend on them to keep your armor in good shape, so you really have to get used to using the armor given as much as possible. Lastly, there is no way to gain Invulnerability for easy level clearing or Berserk for enhanced speed and resistances ( outside of Berserker, which I believe is a pretty risky playstyle without powerups ), with exceptions being the lava element and chainsaw, but their effects are one-use.

Started the game off with a Scout going for Intx2. I thought the Scout class is pretty important due to stair-sense since some levels may put the player in a very tough situation at the start and the only chance the player has is to run, especially now since the AI has been updated to chase better. Intx2 helps with radar-shooting enemies, but more imporantly it IDs levers. Levers can provide additional healing outside of medpacks and armor repair, both of which are pretty important. Levers can also set the room you're in on fire, so IDing them helps with seperating the good from the bad.

On the first level, it was very important to get all four medpacks without taking too much damage. I had to restart a few times to get an acceptable result. On the next few levels I used a combination of doorways, radar-shooting, and gift-dropping to fight as many enemies one-on-one as possible. I believe Hell's Arena generated in level 2. I skipped it because it would've made Chained Court a lot harder since I couldn't use the Berserk Packs, but thinking about it now I forgot that I could stopped after the second wave and still get the large med pack.

After getting Intx2, I had to think about what traits I should be planning on getting. Originally I thought about getting Shottyhead, but it required Shottyman and that alone is worth 3 levels. 3 levels is a lot to wait for while filling in Ironman in between for instant healing and to increase effectiveness of medpacks. I also needed Dodgemaster by the time I get to the Cyberdemon as well, which is also not part of Shottyhead's requirements. In fact, all the Scout master traits require quite a bit of investment into offensive traits early on, so I decided to just go Masterless, fill up on speed whenever I can ( HR for speed/dodge chance/Dodgemaster, Fin for fire speed ) and Ironman whenever I'm a bit hurt on level up.

Chained court has the chainsaw, which gave the Berserk Pack effect ( healing and status ), so I took the free health and left. I had to enter the Wall for a quick escape, then left because I didn't want to have to deal with Arch-Viles and an army of ammo sponges. I ran past Phobos Anamoly since I was really low on health reserves by that point. Managed to run to the door and close it just enough to gain some distance before it was open again. Ran in between the Bruisers then tried to stay in cover after getting past them to enter the gate.

Shortly after Phobos Anamoly, I found the assault shotgun. I was still using the normal shotgun up to this point because I wasn't lucky enough to get a combat shotgun, so I welcomed the upgrade. Around this time is also where I found both the plasma rifle and the rocket launcher. I needed the plasma rifle because sometimes I can't afford to knock an enemy out of melee range since almost all of them have more dangerous ranged attacks or if a Baron or Hell Knight wear some armor. I agility modded the plasma rifle as soon as I found one. The rocket launcher was needed to fight the Cyberdemon, and I bulk-modded it so I can keep up with the Cyberdemon while reloading. I skipped all the special levels in Episode 2 due to either the lack of health and/or supplies for what I have to go through to finish the level.

Cyberdemon has to be killed through damage. Nuking him is not an option to advance. I went in with the rocket launcher first since it started close to wall. I either shot at it or reloaded once per one of its moves just to be safe. After running out of rockets ( only found one stack up to this point ) I switched to the plasma rifle. Fired until the rifle was empty, and the Cyberdemon was mortally wounded. I chose not to reload the rifle because the reload time is really long and it will allow the Cyberdemon to hit me, so I just switched to the assault shotgun and finished it off.

Episode 3 was where it really got tense, with levels just filled with AVMRBs, turning each corner had the possibility of getting sniped by one of the above. For the most part I just ran for the stairs whenever I can, only stopping if there's a large med pack or homing phase in sight without imminent danger. There were a few levels where the stairs were generated on the other side of the map, that is where I used napalm/acid barrels to create barriers so I can safely radar-shoot enemies. Thankfully, commando/sergeant packs were still being generated at that point so I was still stocked up on ammo.

I managed to find a nuke in the 20s. With a nuke in hand I knew that I didn't need anything else against SM, so I just speed ran past everything as fast as I could. I burned (homing) phase devices and just bee-lined to the stairs at every opportunity. I don't think I even fired a bullet in the last few levels. Once I reached Dis I activated the nuke and just ran in place until it blew up.

Unfortunately I can't remember the fine details of the run as I waited a few hours before writing this up. But that is pretty much what I remember in general in the run. Overall, I'd say it's one of the hardest challenges in the game. Not sure why this is only rated "Hard" in the Challenges screen, should be at least in Masochism's level. Playing this on UV made me realize how important powerups really are and how fragile characters seem to be without them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 19:27 by Missileboater »
DoomRL 0.9.9.4         | DoomRL 0.9.9.3
[23|19|18|7|2]          | [24|18|16|5|0]
Arch-vile Mjr General | Arch-vile Colonel
[27m/59s/40a]          | [29m/48s/27a]
Pages: [1]