Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The unmaker  (Read 4561 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
The unmaker
« on: December 10, 2006, 16:25 »

Have you though about adding the Unmaker weapon to the game. It was in the Doom bible for the original specs of the game. It was also added to Doom 64. It had three upgrades to it I think to make it more powerful. I think it would be a cool addition as a rare and hard to find weapon.
-Legend

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The unmaker
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 16:58 »

It was discussed a few months ago, and ruled by Kornel as being "undoomish."

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:36 »

Personally, I really don't consider it to be undoomish. Since it was part of the original design doc (doom bible) and it was in a doom game (doom 64). The soul cube for doom 3 is kinda along the same lines too. A powerful demonic and rare weapon. It could be powered by the souls of the enemies you kill. I think it would be a really cool addition. Besides, the spear from the second wolfenstein 3d game made it into doomrl. The spear of destiny was never in any actual Doom games.
-Legend

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:01 »

No, the Spear of Destiny (or Longinus Spear) was not in any Doom game. It was, however, in ID software's sequal to Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny. Near the end of the game, you are transported to a hellish arena where you have to fight the Angel of Death. (Sound familiar? I thought so.) At the end of the battle, you are given the spear to wield. That is why it's in DoomRL. Because you're, y'know, in Hell. And it's a nod to an old and sometimes forgotten ID classic.

And the reason why we don't have the Soul Cube or Artifact from Doom 3 is because Kornel and many of the posters here consider Doom 3 to also be undoomish.

BTW, I've read the doom bible. The game it describes would have sucked. HARD.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 20:05 »

I understand the points. I'm fully aware of spear of destiny and what the ls's role in the game was. I think the LS is a great addition to DRL.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't consider doom 3 "undoomish".

I still think the Unmaker would be a great addition to the game as a hard to find and powerful ranged weapon. I like the idea of having a demonic weapon. Kinda like the LS is more of a holy weapon. In the case of the Unmaker being considered "Undoomish", I still think it has closer ties to Doom than the LS though. I only use the LS to in my arguement because I think that The unmaker is more "Doomish" than the LS. Again, I still think the Ls is a great addition to the game, I just don't see how the Unmaker can be considered "undoomish" but the LS isn't.

I don't think there's anyway to say that the specs from the doom bible would have made a bad game since it never came out that way. I think it had some pretty cool ideas and was far more ambitious than what the game turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love the way Doom turned out. I just don't think that we can really say that it would have "Sucked hard" if it was closer to the original design document.

Anyways, it's just my opinion.
-Legend

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 22:20 »

Wait, wasn't the Unmaker the gun from teh Doom Bible that worked based on how organic your about-to-be-victim is?

And, Kornel, if you want to honor classic Id... BioMenace Major Stryker Duke Nukem Cosmo! Mystic Towers Monster BASH! Commander Keen =p

(Gyaaah, why can't I remember any classic Id franchises!?)
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:38 »

So Kornel already said the Unmaker was undoomish? .. and the spear is not, since its in the game?

Sorry but that must be most senseless thing I have heard. The spear is the most undoomish thing, not even related to Doom and looks more like a magical melee weapons taken out of a medieval games, even if that isn't where he took the idea.

This is just my opinion after all, but I don't understand how the spear made it in and not the unmaker.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 13:03 »

That's the exact point I was trying to make. I think the Spear is a cool addition, but it just doesn't make sense how it was included in DRL but the Unmaker is considered "Undoomish" and is left out.
-Legend

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:27 »

Perhaps you might consider the Unmaker not as a new weapon, but as a one-use item: something of a "lesser thermie", a brown '%' that would instantly destroy all monsters in LOS. Except of the Cybie of course, and it would fail on JC level.
Angel of Death 007

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 01:10 »

But then you would miss out on finding the upgrades to make the weapon more powerful.
-Legend
Pages: [1]