Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Potential regen change  (Read 2364 times)

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
Potential regen change
« on: January 29, 2012, 17:00 »

Could regeneration be altered to function at the same frequency as health decay (once a second)? This might be enough of a nerf to allow regenerating specials (nano pack, malek's armor, nuke weapons) to be more common.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Potential regen change
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 17:46 »

Could regeneration be altered
The regen mechanic's already been altered in betas. As a matter of fact, I just got done explaining it there, so allow me to repost the specifics:

All rechargeable equipment, either those with it as an intrinsic or via the nano pack, can now be modified in terms of their recharge delay (or long it takes since being used/damaged before it will begin to recharge) and recharge amount (or how many units they gain per action during recharge).
Let's go through it step by step (and we'll use a weapon case to simplify terms):
  • We start with a full weapon that has recharge delay 5, recharge amount 1.
  • The weapon is fired continuously until it would be depleted. During this time, the weapon doesn't recharge at ALL.
  • After not firing for exactly five actions (not seconds, not turns, but literally how many times you take an action), the weapon will recharge one unit of ammo.
  • Ammo regeneration will then continue every action after that, so long as you don't fire the weapon.
  • If the weapon is fired again, it will take another five actions before recharging starts up once more.
So let's say you have a blaster (which has recharge delay 3, amount 1, and also a readjusted clip size of 10). You fire ten times, then wait 3 actions, then wait 10 more actions to fully regenerate it. Of course you don't have to wait for it to finish, but it does tend to cut into recharge wait time.
I suppose it's possible to work regeneration with OnTick, but it would require a bunch of rewrites. Currently, OnEquipTick triggers at the beginning of the wearer's turn, and most of the being intrinsics trigger OnAction, not to mention that affect timing is on the same scale. A lot of internals are related to actions rather than game seconds (health decay being the notable exception) so it's a little more work to make everything consistent in game turns.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 18:10 »

That's far better than my idea as far as weapons go but how does it work for armor? Does the recharge delay mean not taking damage or is it some other trigger?
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22 »

That's far better than my idea as far as weapons go but how does it work for armor? Does the recharge delay mean not taking damage or is it some other trigger?

Yes, for armor it is currently not taking damage.

Steve

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Misplaced Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46 »

So will every weapon have a set recharge delay and all a nano pack does is increase the recharge amount by one? I think it would be sorta funny if you had to wait just as long for a chain gun to start recharging as you would for a shotgun or a BFG.
You found the chain-rocket launcher!
Pages: [1]