Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 00:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Version Change?  (Read 1664 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Version Change?
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:39 »

Since I'm still kinda new to DoomRL, I haven't really been around any version changes. I started playing in .994, but only a little and I really started to play regularly with .995, so I simply started over. It was indeed a matter of a few playthroughs to get all I had achieved before plus a lot I thought impossible for me.

So anyway, what (usually) happens when new version comes? Do you have to discard your player file and start over? Is it possible to keep the old badges/medals/discovered assemblies and keep playing with the new version? Will you only lose stuff which is changed in the new version (new badge requirements, new mod combinations for assemblies) or do you keep your badges even if the condition change to be more difficult?

I noticed a lot of people here had to regain all their badges, is that optional, forced, or just good practice? (so it's easier to find bugs?)

While I'm at it, how often do new versions come on average?

Thanks...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:41 by Klear »
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Version Change?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:57 »

I'll try to answer whatever I can.

Generally, I won't discard my player file if the challenges remain roughly similar.  But recently, each version redefines the challenge requirements (both for the badge and the manner in which it can be done), so I've dropped my player file when the version changes.

Player files are backward compatible, but like I said, because the game play is currently changing fairly drastically between versions, I cannot in good conscience use the same player file as I had since the achievements are now very different in nature (even if they are the same in name).

I would think the dropping of player file is just good practice, but your mileage may vary.

New versions come as often as Kornel has time to develop them.  As a primer, 0.9.9.6 is probably going to come out within the next couple of months.
I computed, therefore I was.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:07 »

Great! I'm most concerned about assemblies, since I only use what I discovered thanks to Hell's Armory (just one basic remaining and a few advanced already popped up) and I'd hate to see that list gone. I think I will keep my stats and perhaps note what has changed and complete it unofficially.

And since after two months of playing UV seems about as difficult as ITYTD when I started, maybe none of this will be a big deal to me when the next version comes.

Thanks, I feel relieved
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44 »

I noticed a lot of people here had to regain all their badges, is that optional, forced, or just good practice? (so it's easier to find bugs?)
It depends on what you're comfortable with. If you rarely ever get to play and only barely managed to unlock everything, there's a lot more at stake if you start again from scratch. If you can get said unlockables in a couple of games, I imagine this is less important. With the exception of recent months (and only because I'm really short on time these days) I always rebooted from version to version. However, in my particular case, the value of achievements has also grown to the point of insignificance in recent months, what with being a developer an' all, so it's not really a big deal for me: I don't even post my stats here anymore.

Some of it has to do with exactly how much changes from version to version. The difference between 0.9.9.4 and 0.9.9.5 is quite large when it comes to badges, which alone will motivate a lot of players to retry with the new requirements. There's also the matter of rebalancing in enemy AI, equipment, levels, stats...practically every time a new version has come out (at least since achievements have been around) there has been enough that has changed to believe that getting said achievements is a very different story. The same will be true of 0.9.9.6.

While I'm at it, how often do new versions come on average?

We can look at the Announcements forum and track the release posts:

DoomRL 0.9.9.5 has been RELEASED!
DoomRL 0.9.9.4 has been released!
DoomRL 0.9.9.3 has been released!
DoomRL 0.9.9.2 has been released!
The DoomRL 0.9.9.1 has finally been released!
The long awaited DoomRL 0.9.9 has finally been released!
Ladies and Gentlemen,

So, recently we've seen them come out every few months: prior to 0.9.9.2, however, you can see that it becomes less regular. DoomRL 0.9.9.6 is slated for March (April at the latest, probably), and Kornel has said that he wants to release something within 4 months from now on (and he's basically managed to keep to that).

Really though, I'd like to try and either change or remove aspects of the unlocking part of the game, which gives people a lot more of an incentive to change files from version to version. We still need to talk more about it.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]