Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Good squarish terminal font for Doom RL?  (Read 3799 times)

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
Good squarish terminal font for Doom RL?
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:31 »

I just had a pretty embarrassing YASD because I thought the sergeant was further than he really was because of the font - he was above me by a couple of spaces and I decided to just wing it. Unfortunately he was nearer than I thought and my lack of health caught up with me. It's rather hard to judge distances because of the font. I'm wondering if anybody uses a squarish terminal font to alleviate this problem? Something like this from X@COM:

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Good squarish terminal font for Doom RL?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16 »

I thought the sergeant was further than he really was because of the font - he was above me by a couple of spaces and I decided to just wing it.
But...aren't all of the floor tiles dots? That alone should give you the relative measurement tool necessary to judge distance: even if the spacing is different, the grid is all but given. But hell, if you have a problem reading it without really thinking about it then I'm not here to judge.

If you're running from Windows, you can just go to the Command Prompt properties and change you font via the Font tab. For me, I have Consolas and Lucida Console in additional to the default that is Raster Fonts. If neither of those appeal to you (or don't show up), you can edit fonts in yourself. Just keep in mind that you'll need a fixed width font for it to look any good.

That aside, I don't know any particularly squarish fonts offhand. X@COM actually uses a spritesheet for its fonts, whereas the current version of DoomRL is literally played in a console (not unlike Rogue itself), so it's not the fairest comparison.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 14:34 »

But...aren't all of the floor tiles dots? That alone should give you the relative measurement tool necessary to judge distance: even if the spacing is different, the grid is all but given.
But they're a double dot like this ¨ (at least most of them throughout the game). So it's not really that easy to see a grid in it.

OTOH yeah you're not gonna solve that by altering the font. You'd have to alter the character.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 14:39 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 17:41 »

Double dots?  Try turning HighAscii option off in the configuration file.  I think that your console is probably not able to handle the extended characters needed in the code page for some reason.
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:47 »

Double dots?  Try turning HighAscii option off in the configuration file.  I think that your console is probably not able to handle the extended characters needed in the code page for some reason.
Oh my, lolz, you're right. Strange, I've always had the floors displayed as ¨ on any computer I ever played it on. And I'm used to it for so long now (since like version 0.9.2 iirc) that it looks so weird when the floors are periods...! :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:48 by ParaSait »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07 »

Hey, it works! I thought I noticed that the floor tiles look different at home and at work... thanks!
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: [1]